Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Is getting your car detailed worth $200+?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyMartinZ28
Nick Chapman is still in the DFW area I believe... He's good.

Also, Steve @ Tropicare is still around, he does good work.

You don't want some loser with a buffer touching your car.
It's Showroom FX but yes.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

after using many products, wolfgang, tropicare, showroom fx, adams, zaino. and some others i have only tested from autogeek. Like GoFast908Z said. Nothing does as well as the mequiars 105/205 combo. or any of the menzerna products. i havent tried adams new severe swirl remover (but it will be here tomorrow). i plan to try it with the purple kompressor pad from lake country this weekend.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 808z28camaro
I beg to differ X 1,000,000. PC are one of the best buffers out there due to its random orbit movement. It can get all angles of scratches, swirls, haze. Ive done pretty hardcore/ severe paint corrections with a pc with Adams Polishes Severe Swirl & Haze Remover and green buffing pad. Best thing, you will NOT burn paint. PC+great product+experienced hands=almost endless paint correction ability. My question to you is, Have you used a PC, correctly? If not, dont knock it till you try it...correctly with the the right products that is. Since im a sub-distributor of adams polishes products and PC Ive got several paint shops/ detail shops locally to switch over to a PC. Of course they were like you, a non-believer. all I had to do to get them to switch over is a Demo right in front of them on a sub-standard Black car with a need for paint correction (major swirls, and oxidation, a few scratches). Ive never seen Jaw drops like theirs.
i have 3 PCs and 1 dewalt so yea i know all about PCs and id take my dewalt over a PC anyday for polishing out a car. Does it work YES, is it limited on what it can do YES. People say it cant burn through paint and the answer is YES it can. ive been detailin for 13 years n i love my dewalt. its heavy n i plan on getting a flex polisher. the adams stuff is good but not my goto for defect removal.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RickyMartinZ28
I agree with that to an extent, but anything can be done with a PC if you're willing to take the correct steps. Also pad size and polish/compound technique makes a huge difference.
to an extent. and yea the new meguiars MF system but thats a whole new system you need to buy.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got tired of looking for a reputable detailer similar to some guys on the site and haven't found one here in the 7 years i have been living here in Montreal. So i just bought all the stuff myself. I did about a 50% correction on the car since it was extremely hot out and i only had a day, but the car looks much better than it ever did. I didn't have time to do many things i wanted, but its very time consuming.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:20 PM
FormerVendor

Late to the party, but to the OP's original post "is it worth it?"

Absolutely. Detailing is hard work, often times people think its too expensive b/c they honestly don't have a grasp of the amount of time/effort/skill it takes. Look at it in terms of learning alone: I'd say it takes the average 'customer' of ours about 2-3 attempts with their PC before they get to perfection. Theres dozens of questions and time spent figuring things out... when you pay a pro to do it they've learned all of that and then some. You're paying for a service, but moreso you're paying for their knowledge/expertise.

Now keeping that in mind, for what you'd pay a professional to detail your car once you could easily have all the basic tools and supplies you'd need to do it yourself, plus enough chemical and accessories to do it dozens of times over/maintain that look. The only variable is whether or not you have the patience/willingness to learn and if you'd enjoy it. For some people detailing is a pain in the ***... for others its a kind of therapy. Just depends. If nothing else learning to do just a basic paint correction would at least lessen the frequency you'd need help from a pro.

If detailing just isn't something that appeals to you then guys like Immaculate, Presidential, and Innovative are out there. They do AMAZING work, but beware. For every 1 highly skilled detailer there are 100 hack jobs who call themselves "detailers" but don't have any business touching cars.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dylan@adams
Late to the party, but to the OP's original post "is it worth it?"

Absolutely. Detailing is hard work, often times people think its too expensive b/c they honestly don't have a grasp of the amount of time/effort/skill it takes. Look at it in terms of learning alone: I'd say it takes the average 'customer' of ours about 2-3 attempts with their PC before they get to perfection. Theres dozens of questions and time spent figuring things out... when you pay a pro to do it they've learned all of that and then some. You're paying for a service, but moreso you're paying for their knowledge/expertise.

Now keeping that in mind, for what you'd pay a professional to detail your car once you could easily have all the basic tools and supplies you'd need to do it yourself, plus enough chemical and accessories to do it dozens of times over/maintain that look. The only variable is whether or not you have the patience/willingness to learn and if you'd enjoy it. For some people detailing is a pain in the ***... for others its a kind of therapy. Just depends. If nothing else learning to do just a basic paint correction would at least lessen the frequency you'd need help from a pro.

If detailing just isn't something that appeals to you then guys like Immaculate, Presidential, and Innovative are out there. They do AMAZING work, but beware. For every 1 highly skilled detailer there are 100 hack jobs who call themselves "detailers" but don't have any business touching cars.
Dylan hit it on the head!

And thank you for the kind words too

Quick Reply: Is getting your car detailed worth $200+?