Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Installed: GTO Seats at stock seat height. (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Installed: GTO Seats at stock seat height. (with pics)

This took a ton of problem solving to get it to work (considering my level of ability). It was worth it in the end though. I didn't take many pics as I worked because a ton of it was guess and check, but I'll try and explain the steps involved. I don't think anyone on LS1tech was able to get them in at stock height like I did. Since I eliminated all the guess work, it should be easy for anyone trying to do it from here.

So I used Sparco sliders and Scat/Procar F-body specific mounts. To mate the seat to the sliders, I had to remove the GTO power seat mechanism and mounts. I then cut into the wiring and left only the power and ground coming from the recline motor (which is built into the seat). The seat and recline motor combo is less than 20 pounds. Not surprisingly, the bolts on the seat were slightly wider than the slider holes, and were much longer (about 3 inches). I then drilled out the front holes on the slider, and used flat aluminum stock that I had drilled holes 3 inches apart to bolt the seat to the sliders. I then had to dremel the ends of bolts coming from the seat to allow the slider to move up close enough for me to reach the pedals. Lastly, I used speaker terminals to attach the power and ground from the power recline motor (same as pictured below) to attach to the stock harness for the power seats; thus leaving me with manual sliding and power reclining seat that is not height adjustable. Oh, and I used the seatbelt bracket from a BMW Z4 so my seatbelt doesn't go across my face (see above). The end result is a super comfy seat with decent bolsters that isn't like sitting on a phonebook. Rear seat legroom is now nonexistant by the way as the GTO seat is massive.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think i like it. But there are so damn heavy ill never put them in my car.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice, those seats are one thing I miss about my goat.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by lethal bird
See I'm total opposite. I'd love a black set of GTO seats in mine but I daily drive mine & dont care about weight reduction.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lethal bird
The seats, minus the electric gear and brackets is 18 pounds. It will add only a few pounds over stock. I've eaten meals heavier than the weight difference over stock manual seats. I'm willing to bet it weighs less than a OEM power drivers seat.

Edit: it seems your car is more of a light weight race car. Yea, this mod isn't for you.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by qwikz28
The seats, minus the electric gear and brackets is 18 pounds. It will add only a few pounds over stock. I've eaten meals heavier than the weight difference over stock manual seats. I'm willing to bet it weighs less than a OEM power drivers seat.

Edit: it seems your car is more of a light weight race car. Yea, this mod isn't for you.
Dont get me wrong i like the seats alot but im not in to putting any weight in the car it still has the cloth front manual driver seat and that's all until i get some kirkeys.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow they look big. Don't know if it would put them in my 4th gen but a 2gen TA with GTO seats hmm...
Old 06-30-2011, 04:38 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GTO seats are extremely sick but damn I didn't think they were going to look like that in a fbody, too big imo. Bet they're comfortable though.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:53 PM
TECH Resident

I think they look cool! maybe the color is whats making them look so big. Better then are stock seats that's for sure.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:33 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Ya black would've looked killer.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

looks bulky from the pics but I bet they are comfortable
Old 06-30-2011, 09:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No doubt the seats are big , but the pics at close range make 'em appear bigger than they really are.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
No doubt the seats are big , but the pics at close range make 'em appear bigger than they really are.
They are pretty damn big. lol. I love them though. They look unusual to us as we are used to the smaller stock seats and racing ones, but you get used to it.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:02 PM

Default Gto seats in a trans am

Originally Posted by qwikz28

This took a ton of problem solving to get it to work (considering my level of ability). It was worth it in the end though. I didn't take many pics as I worked because a ton of it was guess and check, but I'll try and explain the steps involved. I don't think anyone on LS1tech was able to get them in at stock height like I did. Since I eliminated all the guess work, it should be easy for anyone trying to do it from here.

So I used Sparco sliders and Scat/Procar F-body specific mounts. To mate the seat to the sliders, I had to remove the GTO power seat mechanism and mounts. I then cut into the wiring and left only the power and ground coming from the recline motor (which is built into the seat). The seat and recline motor combo is less than 20 pounds. Not surprisingly, the bolts on the seat were slightly wider than the slider holes, and were much longer (about 3 inches). I then drilled out the front holes on the slider, and used flat aluminum stock that I had drilled holes 3 inches apart to bolt the seat to the sliders. I then had to dremel the ends of bolts coming from the seat to allow the slider to move up close enough for me to reach the pedals. Lastly, I used speaker terminals to attach the power and ground from the power recline motor (same as pictured below) to attach to the stock harness for the power seats; thus leaving me with manual sliding and power reclining seat that is not height adjustable. Oh, and I used the seatbelt bracket from a BMW Z4 so my seatbelt doesn't go across my face (see above). The end result is a super comfy seat with decent bolsters that isn't like sitting on a phonebook. Rear seat legroom is now nonexistant by the way as the GTO seat is massive.
Please more details I would love to do this to my car... Where did you get the sliders and mounts from anymore pictures would be very helpful
Thanks
Old 04-11-2014, 01:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KSTRANSAM

Please more details I would love to do this to my car... Where did you get the sliders and mounts from anymore pictures would be very helpful
Thanks
+1 have some gto seats sitting in my garage. They'd make for nice temporary seats since the stock ones are pretty beat.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:15 AM
12 Second Club

overall i like the idea and the creativity, i hate red in any form, but i think black ones or matching gray would look great. and maybe black wudnt seem as huge and blend in size wise more. but its ur car so hats off and enjoy
Old 04-13-2014, 01:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

I love the red GTO seats. I just installed my 6LE seats and it's taking some getting used to sitting higher than I did with my stock seats. Are you going to do the rears as well?
Old 04-14-2014, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are the rear GTO reats even possible in an Fbody?
Old 04-14-2014, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

Rear seats are near impossible due to the contour of the unibody. I've since removed the GTO seats and sold them to install some Kirkeys.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:52 AM
Teching In

I keep coming back to this post, makes me want to put GTO seats in my firebird 4th gen. haha looks great imo dude. looks super comfortable as well

Quick Reply: Installed: GTO Seats at stock seat height. (with pics)