Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Did I over wax my car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never had any issues with my black '98 using the same wax. I always shake it very well before using, and use the minimum, you want it to look like a thin film over the surface, using small overlapping circles. It likes cooler surfaces as far as I can tell, so if you can wash it then put in a closed garage for dry/wax that'd probably be the best.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I washed it with soap and got all of it off. I'm not sure if I'll ever use this stuff again but thanks for the responses.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:21 AM
TECH Addict

if at all possible, try and do it only when its cooler. its not the direct sunlight thats bad, its the surface temperature when you apply. you can apply just fine in direct sunlight when its 60, but in the shade at 100 isnt recommended, as you found out. it was probably a combination of both temp. and using too much.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BADFNZ
I washed it with soap and got all of it off. I'm not sure if I'll ever use this stuff again but thanks for the responses.
Your issue wasn't the product, but the application of the product. Very few if any Waxes/sealants play nice when over applied.

The product should be applied so thinly that you almost can't tell it is on there.

20 - 40 minutes after application, try the swipe test with a finger, if it comes off clean and easy, it is ready for removal, if it doesn't then give it another 20 minutes.

Grab a new can of Meg's Ultimate wax, or Mothers Syn Wax and go at it again. I would recommend using a paste instead of a liquid, since it is easier to apply a thinner coat that way.

there is no nee to saturate the application sponge. use the smooth side of the sponge, and apply the product using a back and forth motion, asd thinly as possible to get complete coverage.

Make sure the microfiber towels you are using for removal are 100% dry.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This has happened to me once - it's because the wax is old, throw it out after a year. Seems to happen to the paste. To get mine off i used dawn soap, worked great taking it off but need to wax the car again after doing something like that.

Quick Reply: Did I over wax my car?