Sponsored by: DashLynx

VHT blues

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 12:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face VHT blues

Hey guys,

So I attempted to VHT my tails, turn signals and rear markers, and got mixed results. My turn signals are about perfect darkness, tails too dark, and rear markers I could really give a **** less about. However none of them really came out with the "gloss" I'd been hoping for, even after some generous coats of Dupli-color clear. So, I'm thinking that I need to do re-prep the tails and do more coats of clear once the previous ones have cured (7 days according to the can). I could really care less about how shiny the turn signals are anyways.

My question is what are some good tips for making sure that I get a real "good" glossy coat? I wetsanded 1000, 1500 and 2000, then used a rubbing compound followed by a polishing compound (only by hand, I don't have a buffer) and still got **** results. I also have some small pitting on one of the tails (don't ask me how it got there, but I can see it in the light), so I'm going to have to sand that down as well to make it perfect. I could leave them as they are, but I'm OCD about the overall fit and finish of the car. Is there anything I missed? I did light coats of everything, and I'm thinking maybe my clear coats just weren't enough to overcome the matte look of the VHT? And before you tell me to "search," I have used the search and read every tutorial on here.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:25 AM
TECH Regular

thats why ive been kind of waiting to do my tails. Ive read some horror stories lol can you upload some pics? I had the same issue with my turning signals. with 2 or 3 coats of dupli-color clear, i still didnt get the right amount of gloss i was looking for. idk, hope someone helps you out man! GL!
Old 08-02-2011, 08:37 AM
TECH Addict

IMO wetsanding at 1000 is too harsh, I would start at 2000 or even the compound, then do your polish. But without a machine it's going to be really hard to get that compound to work right.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1Vince
thats why ive been kind of waiting to do my tails. Ive read some horror stories lol can you upload some pics? I had the same issue with my turning signals. with 2 or 3 coats of dupli-color clear, i still didnt get the right amount of gloss i was looking for. idk, hope someone helps you out man! GL!
I'll put up some pics tomorrow, I got my wisdom teeth taken out today so I've been stoned out of my face for the past twelve hours. On the upside I'll have a lot of time to finally get this clear coat right.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first make sure your duplicolor clear is a high gloss, if you start with a higher gloss clear you will get better results.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dontbl1nk
first make sure your duplicolor clear is a high gloss, if you start with a higher gloss clear you will get better results.
The stuff I bought was the only Duplicolor clear coat they had, clear lacquer. I'm thinking that maybe the "clear top coat" product they make in the "perfect match" line would be better suited?
Old 08-04-2011, 09:39 AM
TECH Resident

scuff them with 800 and shoot a real clearcoat on top. You wont even NEED to buff em.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PhantomR/T
scuff them with 800 and shoot a real clearcoat on top. You wont even NEED to buff em.

As in take them to a paint shop and get it done? Or is there a "real" good rattle can clear?

Quick Reply: VHT blues