Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Leaf blower to dry car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 03:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now I feel stupid.
Never thought is this. What great idea. I will be buying one this weekend for sure!
Old 08-24-2011, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another leafblower user here.. Your neighbors will look at u funny for sure.. But untill I find a better way.. Leaf blower it is
Old 08-24-2011, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

I have used an electric leaf blower for over 10 years. I go around the car with the blower them make a quick pass with a waffle weave drying towel.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I recently started using one as well. It works way better, and it's kinda fun to watch the water running away from it.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have been using a leaf blower since 1999. I love it! I use a craftsman 210 MPH electric leaf blower. I was told not to use a gas powered one since they can sometimes spit out gas. Not sure if it's true though. I go over the whole car, black t bar first then work my way down. I would recommend doing it in the shade. After it's dry just wipe it down with Zaino. Just a word of advice the more polish you have the better the leaf blower works.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AndyIsLost
My friend does that with his Z28, I think he used a wired one but it doesn't really matter. what I usually do is just drive the car for 3 minutes and it gets most of the water out of the trunk and what not.
Originally Posted by bj350hp
I use my gas leaf blower and air from my compressor. BTW here is a good read http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-De...Drying/#drying
Originally Posted by Double-aught_Z/28
Just get in the car and drive around the block.
Originally Posted by MillerTime85
Ill sometimes take it around the block real quick and then use a 200mph/430cfm craftsman gas powered blower.
Originally Posted by NC01TA
Another for the leaf blower. Mine is gas powered and I have used it for several years on all my cars. There have even been club 'get togethers' at members homes where water hoses, rags, and leaf blowers are provided. It really gets rid of the water in the cracks and crevices that never come out until you drive off.

To all you guys driving your car and wiping it down, please stop. You're wiping fresh dirt into the paint and that will create marring and swirls. Just look at the rear bumper after 2 blocks

Also do NOT use a gas powered one. You WILL get oil/gas on the car. Someone did a writeup on it, on the detail forums and the amount of stuff coming out of it was shocking. Bottom line, use electric. Another good idea is to use it in the same spot as where you washed, when the ground is still wet, that way less chance of blowing dirt up onto the car.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I too dry mine with a leaf blower
Old 08-25-2011, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
To all you guys driving your car and wiping it down, please stop. You're wiping fresh dirt into the paint and that will create marring and swirls. Just look at the rear bumper after 2 blocks

Also do NOT use a gas powered one. You WILL get oil/gas on the car. Someone did a writeup on it, on the detail forums and the amount of stuff coming out of it was shocking. Bottom line, use electric. Another good idea is to use it in the same spot as where you washed, when the ground is still wet, that way less chance of blowing dirt up onto the car.
You saved me from typing all of this .. Although maybe we should promote this, as it just means more work for guys like us.

I use a Metro Blaster SideKick to dry. I like the ability to get into small places with it, and it works great on wheels.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:46 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z

Can you find me this write up? Like I said been using a commercial back pack blower for years. Similar to this.
http://www.shindaiwa.com/can/en/prod...02_eb802rt.php
I don't know how the hell they would spit out gas and all kinds of other crap. They are two different compartments. Now maybe a cheapo wally world, or something homeowner edition one will. Hell I use my back pack to blow off all the grass etc from myself when I'm done. I put it on the ground, rev it up and yes, I'll say, blow myself off! LOL. I've never got gas or anything on myself from doing this. SO I'm interested in seeing this writeup. Not to mention, even if it does spit out an ever so small amount of gas particles, it can't be any worse than driving down the highway and having crap from other cars spewed on my car.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 510 Likes on 368 Posts

No gas or debris coming out of mine either, nothing that has detracted from the appearance whatsover over several years. I have the show trophies to prove it. Another internet myth??
Old 08-25-2011, 12:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS14EVR
Can you find me this write up? Like I said been using a commercial back pack blower for years. Similar to this.
http://www.shindaiwa.com/can/en/prod...02_eb802rt.php
I don't know how the hell they would spit out gas and all kinds of other crap. They are two different compartments. Now maybe a cheapo wally world, or something homeowner edition one will. Hell I use my back pack to blow off all the grass etc from myself when I'm done. I put it on the ground, rev it up and yes, I'll say, blow myself off! LOL. I've never got gas or anything on myself from doing this. SO I'm interested in seeing this writeup. Not to mention, even if it does spit out an ever so small amount of gas particles, it can't be any worse than driving down the highway and having crap from other cars spewed on my car.

I will try to find the writeup and post it.

Getting that gas/oil on the paint is likely to strip any protection wherever it sits, so yeah I'd say its worse than normal driving stuff on the highway.

No gas or debris coming out of mine either, nothing that has detracted from the appearance whatsover over several years. I have the show trophies to prove it. Another internet myth??
Not to be **** about it, but judges at car shows rarely even notice things like holograms and swirlmarks. I've seen cars get trophies that I would have been embarrassed to drive. Definitely not a myth. Though I'm sure not all blowers are created equal, but the vast majority do this, and it just seems silly to take the risk. I will be on the lookout for the writeup so you can see.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 510 Likes on 368 Posts

Well GOFAST908Z, if you ever do find the write-up, I would be interested in reading it but make sure it isn't written by some environmental **** that feels every gas powered implement is going to destroy the world. That would have ZERO credibility. By the way, maybe the car shows you attend are presenting trophies to crappy cars but don't assume mine are. See my '95 911 below at an Atlanta car show. I've used a gas leaf blower on it for years. Does it look 'embarassing' to you??
Attachment 312783

Last edited by NC01TA; 10-03-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

The key is how the blower vents its exhaust. If it has a muffler and vents out the back, then it is probably ok to use. Most 4 cycle blowers are set up this way. If it vents its exhaust down the blow tube, as a vast majority of the homeowner, 2 cycle models do, then you have a potential problem.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:03 AM
TECH Resident

That's what I was leaning towards. I think it all depends on the blower, hence why I want to see the write up before I get to into this. I just know that mine does not. If it did, I wouldn't be blowing it at my face. Maybe the one used in the write up had a blown seal on the output shaft and was leaking into the blower cavity.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:12 AM
12 Second Club

Thats what Ive been using. Get one of the best microfibers you can to get the rest dry.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Well GOFAST908Z, if you ever do find the write-up, I would be interested in reading it but make sure it isn't written by some environmental **** that feels every gas powered implement is going to destroy the world. That would have ZERO credibility. By the way, maybe the car shows you attend are presenting trophies to crappy cars but don't assume mine are. See my '95 911 below at an Atlanta car show. I've used a gas leaf blower on it for years. Does it look 'embarassing' to you??
Attachment 312783
Please don't turn this into a personal thing, it was not intended to be directed at you. Looks like you have a nice car there, but if I was judging on that pic, it would be impossible to tell if there was damage from oil/gas as they would be tiny specs. I mentioned embarrassing because i'm a perfectionist with cars, and I see guys with 50-100k hot rods with 25k paint jobs wiping them down with shop rags and detail spray after a 100 mile drive. They and the judges often don't see anything wrong with that, nor do they see the massive swirls and marring they've created. All I'm saying is that car show judges rarely look at a car the way a detailer looks at a car.

My work is "judged" all the time by my customers. If I used the typical judges eye, I'd have a lot of unhappy campers.

As for the leaf blower, no I'm pretty sure the guy isn't an enviro-nut. I've got some time this evening to look for the thread.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Gipraw
The key is how the blower vents its exhaust. If it has a muffler and vents out the back, then it is probably ok to use. Most 4 cycle blowers are set up this way. If it vents its exhaust down the blow tube, as a vast majority of the homeowner, 2 cycle models do, then you have a potential problem.
It could very well be the location of the exhaust that was causing the issue in the thread. Now I'm really determined to find it lol.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I couldn't add anything more to the blower thing other than what has already been said by Gip and GoFast.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:56 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah has to be the kind of blower because mine doesnt spit out anything what so ever, good tips though guys,
Old 08-27-2011, 04:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually the best way to dry your car is with water!!! and yes i ment to say that and it is true, look up a guy named junkman he has a few threads in here and he has numerouse youtube vidios and works for adams polishes, once you wash your car you take a water hose with no end to it and go over your car with the water to creat a SHEEN affect that will remove most the water on your car. then you take a ELECTIC leafe blower and blow out all the cracks. The saying is true the less that touches the paint the better, you would be suprissed to see the swirl marks in your car if you looked close enouph, also the 2 bucket method of washing will help ensure you dont get trash, and always use two different clothes for the top/sides and lower part of your car to wash since most dirt is on the bottom.

Quick Reply: Leaf blower to dry car?