Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Ask a Professional Detailer

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Spink
When I removed my door moldings I used 3m adhesive and wax remover. Everything came out great. I always wax my car by hand and I used mothers 3 step afterward and the car just looked amazing. Much better than when I've clay barred it in the past and did the same 3 step. I got lots of compliments and people asking what wax I use. Seemed like that 3m stuff really cleaned up the paint as a side effect

So my questions are. Is that stuff safe to use repeatedly? Or maybe even as a substitute for claying it? It's a silver metallic and it really made the metal flake pop.
Are you asking if its OK to use the wax remover repeatedly?
Old 04-15-2013, 01:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Quoted for truth.
Whats the phrase....you can lead a horse to water....but
Old 04-15-2013, 05:27 AM
TECH Addict

I went back and searched this thread.....

With regards to glass cleaner, is Adam's Glass Cleaner and/or Stoner's Invisible Glass still considered best? I want to pull the trigger on something. I've tried most others and still have streaks no matter what I try.

Also, when cleaning glass, is it best to clean them in the garage vs. outside? Does glass temp 'matter' ?
Old 04-15-2013, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you asking if its OK to use the wax remover repeatedly?
I think he's asking if he can multi step polish his car rather than clay lol.

At least that's my thinking.

Not a good idea btw in case that was his question.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
shouldn't THEIR insurance cover it since they hit YOU?
I would love if THEIR insurance covered it. But I don't know who THEY are. They of course just hit it and moved somewhere else.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:32 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
I think he's asking if he can multi step polish his car rather than clay lol.

At least that's my thinking.

Not a good idea btw in case that was his question.
Sort of. Car just sees weekend duty on clear days for the most part. I usually would clay bar every other spring then do a 3 step, when I don't clay bar I just do the last 2 steps and use meguire's ultimate detailer after every few washes.

Was wondering if instead of doing the clay bar as often I could substitute and use that 3m wax removing stuff on occasion but I don't want to do any harm to the paint. Sure was a lot easier than using the clay and got similar, if not better, results in appearance.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sort of. Car just sees weekend duty on clear days for the most part. I usually would clay bar every other spring then do a 3 step, when I don't clay bar I just do the last 2 steps and use meguire's ultimate detailer after every few washes.

Was wondering if instead of doing the clay bar as often I could substitute and use that 3m wax removing stuff on occasion but I don't want to do any harm to the paint. Sure was a lot easier than using the clay and got similar, if not better, results in appearance.
The only thing that I can think of why it looked better was there was a built up of old wax on the car amd the 3m wax remover took it off. I don't know how often you wax your car but if you wax it too often it will actually make the paint look dull.

Other than that I can think of any reason why it would have looked better.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dimitri-
I would love if THEIR insurance covered it. But I don't know who THEY are. They of course just hit it and moved somewhere else.
Oh that makes sense. I hate people. Where you located at?
Old 04-15-2013, 10:49 AM
TECH Regular

The only thing that I can think of why it looked better was there was a built up of old wax on the car amd the 3m wax remover took it off. I don't know how often you wax your car but if you wax it too often it will actually make the paint look dull.

Other than that I can think of any reason why it would have looked better.
That's what I was wondering. You're probably right about the build up even though I really don't wax it too often but I probably should do it less. Car spends 99% of it's life in a garage.

When you clay it isn't that supposed to take off the old wax as well or is there another way to do it? Was I just not claying it well enough? And if I get build up again is it safe to use that 3m stuff?
Old 04-15-2013, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's what I was wondering. You're probably right about the build up even though I really don't wax it too often but I probably should do it less. Car spends 99% of it's life in a garage.

When you clay it isn't that supposed to take off the old wax as well or is there another way to do it? Was I just not claying it well enough? And if I get build up again is it safe to use that 3m stuff?
Claying takes off bonded above surface contaminants. The easiest way to remove old wax is to wash it with Dawn liquid soap.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:01 PM
TECH Regular

I see...well thanks! You cleared a couple things up for me. I still have Dawn in my garage that I used the first time I clayed my car about 6 years ago and never used it since. All the other times i just used regular meguires or mothers washes before I clayed and that probably explains everything. Somewhere along the line I lost that important detail of using dawn to get the old wax off before claying it.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

I see...well thanks! You cleared a couple things up for me. I still have Dawn in my garage that I used the first time I clayed my car about 6 years ago and never used it since. All the other times i just used regular meguires or mothers washes before I clayed and that probably explains everything. Somewhere along the line I lost that important detail of using dawn to get the old wax off before claying it.
No problem. You don't want to use Dawn every time you wash unless you are planning on waxing it. It's been said that using Dawn regularly can cause problems with the paint but as far as I know no one has ever proved that.

This brings up a good question that I had never thought about before. How often should you strip all the wax/sealant/LSP off before you reapply.

There are some people on here that say they wax their car once or month or something like that. IMO that's WAAY too often. I understand its therapeutic for some people but at the same time it can cause problems I mentioned before.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
I went back and searched this thread.....

With regards to glass cleaner, is Adam's Glass Cleaner and/or Stoner's Invisible Glass still considered best? I want to pull the trigger on something. I've tried most others and still have streaks no matter what I try.

Also, when cleaning glass, is it best to clean them in the garage vs. outside? Does glass temp 'matter' ?
I am still after years stuck on Invisible Glass with a microfiber. Its just unbeatable. With something like glass, if its not broke dont fix it. I dont get streaks and the glass is crystal clear and its easy to use, so no need to try anything else.

Inside is always better. If the glass is super hot from sun your gonna be working against yourself.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LT4vert
I am still after years stuck on Invisible Glass with a microfiber. Its just unbeatable. With something like glass, if its not broke dont fix it. I dont get streaks and the glass is crystal clear and its easy to use, so no need to try anything else.

Inside is always better. If the glass is super hot from sun your gonna be working against yourself.
Invisible glass is good but one can didn't last me very long. I switched to Meguiars D120. It's only 20 bucks for one gallon and you dilute it 10:1 so it literally makes 10 gallons of product. It also smells great and works great!
Old 04-17-2013, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Claying takes off bonded above surface contaminants. The easiest way to remove old wax is to wash it with Dawn liquid soap.
I agree. I really like to mix 1-2 oz of Dawn with 1-2 oz of whatever shampoo I have alot of (which right now is Meguiars Gold Class). Makes it nice to use up some older products of mine, and also accomplish the LSP strip that I'm looking for. I did just receive my gallon of Citrus Wash N Gloss though, and that shampoo is flat out fantastic. Well worth the money in my opinion!
Old 04-17-2013, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

No problem. You don't want to use Dawn every time you wash unless you are planning on waxing it. It's been said that using Dawn regularly can cause problems with the paint but as far as I know no one has ever proved that.
Dawn will also dry out your plastics when used and not conditioned causing them to be chalky.

This brings up a good question that I had never thought about before. How often should you strip all the wax/sealant/LSP off before you reapply.

There are some people on here that say they wax their car once or month or something like that. IMO that's WAAY too often. I understand its therapeutic for some people but at the same time it can cause problems I mentioned before
If the car doesn't bead when you wash it anymore, the wax and sealant have been completely degraded and it's time to reapply. At that point it would probably be personal preferences as to whether or not to strip any residual LSP that may be present before reapplying. Of course you'll want to strip it when you're going to polish. However, I don't think there is a "correct" answer to how often you should strip and then reapply. That is all personal preference. I honestly try to do a "full" detail every 3 months if possible. By full I mean, strip, clay, seal, wax and will probably do paint correction once or twice a year as needed.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:13 AM
Teching In

Default Quick cheap lasting fix for cracked dash pads that looks new.

What we use to fix the dash pads is Duplicolor Latex Spray Truck bed armor, it comes out with a real tough flat slightly textured non reflective flat black and slides down nicely into and fills the cracks. Because it is water soluble until it dries it cleans up easily and makes the dash pad look like new, without some tacky rug cover. I think it cost us about $12.00 to fix it and have enough left to do two more whole dash pads. Has held up well in hot Florida Sun.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well since Autogeek and Adam's both had great sales today I picked up some stuff I've been wanting for a while now.

From Adam's I got;
Wheel cleaner(thanks Nick!)
VRT
The new Total Interior Detailer
Various applicators
various bottles, sprayers

From AG last weekend;
Pinnacle Glass cleaner
Pinnacle Water spot remover
Sonax
Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay

From AG tonight
LC CCS thin green pads
LC CCS thin red pads
LC Hydro tech tangerine pads
FG 400
PF2500
SF4000

Going to restock on some Iron-X from Car Pro and try their Quartz Dlux plastic and rubber coating.

I will also probably get some MF towels from Microfibertech. I need some glass towels and I want to pick up their cobra junior yellow towels.

This should pretty much cover whatever future jobs will bring.

I am going to do a head to head against Sonax and Adams Wheel cleaner soon. I will post my results.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:26 AM
12 Second Club

My Camaro has already been PC'ed with my 7424. I used pinnacle products.

Last year I polished it with pinnacle advanced finishing polish. And I think I topped it off with collinite 845.

Recently worked on the Camaro and I did not use fender covers. Wire from my work light banged up my driver side fender.

What would be a good way to go about removing these minor scuffs? Should I just use the polish and work it with a white pad?

I have orange,blue,red,white pads and only stuff I have is Pinnacle A.P, and XMT series 1,2,finishing glaze.

another question. Would it be fine to just polish the car once a year and stay on top of the waxing? Car sits outside during winter months.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would start with your least aggressive polish and least aggressive pad.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer