Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Ask a Professional Detailer

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013 | 07:04 PM
TECH Junkie
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I would try more pressure and slowing arm speed down. Removing scratches is one of the time a paint thickness gauge is really needed. It might be worth leaving the scratch there verses trying to get it out and risk going through the clear. Again it depends on deep the scratch is and how much clear is left.

I am happy that no one has chimed up suggesting to wet sand it. I have seen that suggested in several other threads and I voiced my opinion.
Alright that sounds good. I got in touch with a local hot rodder who does body work/paint. He told me he's been using M101 with fantastic results on the classics and hot rods he works on. Hes willing to let me try some out. I have an old Camaro hood to practice on before I try it on my car. Since it has more cut, what speed should I be using with my Griots 6"?
Old 03-26-2013 | 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

I'm not familiar with the Groits. On the PC I use 5 but everyone is different. You will be surprised how much more cut 101 has so don't work it like you have been the 105. Go slow and you should be just fine. Keep us updated.
Old 03-26-2013 | 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've wanting to run down all 2000+ post of this thread but work has actually been busy lately... What microfiber towels is everyone using? I've bought a couple from AutoZone and such that look/feel good but after they are dirty and I wash them once or twice they don't feel so good. Also how does everyone go about washing them? Maybe I'm washing them wrong?
Old 03-26-2013 | 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

Look into 3d towel Kleen it goes for like 15$ a gallon and will last you a long time. That's what I personally use. Warm water, extra rinse, and dry on low heat. Only wash MF with MF do not mix in regular laundry

As for towels look up MicrofiberTech they have great quality towels
Old 03-26-2013 | 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by silverWS.6
I've wanting to run down all 2000+ post of this thread but work has actually been busy lately... What microfiber towels is everyone using? I've bought a couple from AutoZone and such that look/feel good but after they are dirty and I wash them once or twice they don't feel so good. Also how does everyone go about washing them? Maybe I'm washing them wrong?
The towels most auto places are junk except for a few. I get all of my MF towels from www.detailing.com

Cheap MF towels can and will scratch softer paint. It's very upsetting to get a panel perfect only to scratch it up wiping off the compound with a cheap towel.

I use the white edge less towels and the gray towels with the black silk edge. I use these two for wiping off detail spray and compounds. I have a few gray with red egde but don't use them for anything one the exterior of the vehicle. What I have found them good for is cleaning the interior. The MF fingers are long and get into cracks/crevices grabbing the dirt.
Old 03-26-2013 | 09:48 PM
TECH Regular

Here's the link
http://www.microfibertech.com/Towels...c_138-2-0.html
Old 03-26-2013 | 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
Dude thanks for that link!

My wife does the interiors on the cars that I correct.(I hate interior detailing)and she has been asking if there were any smaller MF towels. They have them in pink, oh she might actually give some up for this!
Old 03-26-2013 | 10:31 PM
TECH Regular

No problem lol
Old 03-28-2013 | 01:18 AM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
No problem lol
Yeah she was excited about the MF towels. However here I am, posting on the internet, alone. You do the math!
Old 03-28-2013 | 01:19 AM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by mac62989
Alright that sounds good. I got in touch with a local hot rodder who does body work/paint. He told me he's been using M101 with fantastic results on the classics and hot rods he works on. Hes willing to let me try some out. I have an old Camaro hood to practice on before I try it on my car. Since it has more cut, what speed should I be using with my Griots 6"?
How did it go?
Old 03-28-2013 | 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by silverWS.6
I use these; http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-dwbt-2.html
I can almost guarantee you these will be the softest MF to detail your car.
I also use these to dry the vehicle after washing; http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-dwdt-2.html
These is a formula for washing the MF towels. I don't know what it is off the top of my head. I never reuse them. Once they are dirty or ratty looking, they go in the trash or I use them for dirty jobs, if applicable. It's a costly way of doing things, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
GOOD LUCK!
Old 03-28-2013 | 07:17 PM
TECH Junkie
15 Year Member

How did it go?
It didnt go yet. Im hoping by sunday or monday Ill get a chance. Between work, school, the NYC autoshow, and Easter Im having trouble finding the time. I ordered some new pads that should be here by Friday and I hope to grab the 101 Saturday.
Old 03-29-2013 | 10:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

WTF am I doing wrong??

I went to wax my V for the first time of it being in my possesion. I used Meguiars tech 2 wax on my camaro with the same results as this. This time a neighbor let me try some that was in a aerosal can. Spread the wax on, wait a bit, wipe it off. Its shiny as hell but when light hits it, there is a ton of swirl marks. a TON that were not there before. I even used the softest damn polishing towels ive ever felt! This is unacceptable!

Old 03-29-2013 | 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chrismikeb
WTF am I doing wrong??

I went to wax my V for the first time of it being in my possesion. I used Meguiars tech 2 wax on my camaro with the same results as this. This time a neighbor let me try some that was in a aerosal can. Spread the wax on, wait a bit, wipe it off. Its shiny as hell but when light hits it, there is a ton of swirl marks. a TON that were not there before. I even used the softest damn polishing towels ive ever felt! This is unacceptable!

Looks like some micro marring going on.
Old 03-29-2013 | 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

A lot of those are buffer trails from a rotary and a wool pad. My guess is when you washed it, you washed off any glaze fillers that were on there covering everything up.

I did a Audi S6 that was the same way. Car looked fine till I washed/stripped any LSP's off of it. The dealership had put some really good glaze on it to hide how bad the paint was.

Only thing that can fix what you have going on is some paint correction.
Old 03-29-2013 | 04:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hmm, I'm thinking its something I'm doing. I've washed the car several times before. And even after I did it on the camaro it looked like this. But I did notice once the wax wore off the camaro that crap went away. But there were still swirls in direct light just not small lines really close together
Old 04-06-2013 | 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What is the best/better car wash solution to use on a car? We have a Porsche Cayman and were using the Simoniz blue solution but that is hard to find. thanks
Old 04-06-2013 | 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

A lot of those are buffer trails from a rotary and a wool pad. My guess is when you washed it, you washed off any glaze fillers that were on there covering everything up.

I did a Audi S6 that was the same way. Car looked fine till I washed/stripped any LSP's off of it. The dealership had put some really good glaze on it to hide how bad the paint was.

Only thing that can fix what you have going on is some paint correction.
That'd be my assumption as well.

I have also run into this before. Had a 2013 Ford Taurus SHO that came in for opti guard and after stripping it with CG Citrus, and full decon, I noticed a good amount of defects that were not at all noticeable before. It happens. Some of these glazes today fill extremely well.

On another note, I've purchased the 600gsm and 360gsm gold towels from MFtech, and they are quality towels. The 360gsm towels are literally the exact same towels that Autogeek sells as their Cobra Gold Plush Jr's, just sold at nearly half of the price! Perfect for waterless washes in my experiences.
Old 04-08-2013 | 05:34 PM
Teching In

What is the best cleaner for cloth seats? And also what do you use to clean the carpeting?
Old 04-08-2013 | 09:23 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
That'd be my assumption as well.

I have also run into this before. Had a 2013 Ford Taurus SHO that came in for opti guard and after stripping it with CG Citrus, and full decon, I noticed a good amount of defects that were not at all noticeable before. It happens. Some of these glazes today fill extremely well.

On another note, I've purchased the 600gsm and 360gsm gold towels from MFtech, and they are quality towels. The 360gsm towels are literally the exact same towels that Autogeek sells as their Cobra Gold Plush Jr's, just sold at nearly half of the price! Perfect for waterless washes in my experiences.
That's good to know. I love the Cobra Gold Plush Jr's. I will have to check those out.

Originally Posted by mhugney
What is the best cleaner for cloth seats? And also what do you use to clean the carpeting?
A lot of people like Folex. You can get it at Lowes and I'm sure other local places. I have used it in the past but right now I'm using Adam's carpet and upholstery cleaner. I really like that stuff.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer