Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Ask a Professional Detailer

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 08:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got a large supply of products in the mail to get my stock back up.

I've never owned and really good wax/sealants or anything up until this point. I've decided to keep my new wax/sealants and polish inside.

Is it acceptable to keep my washes and spray lubes and such in the garage? I have always had a huge shelf in the garage where I store my cleaning stuff. All of my products have been kept on it.

Cleaners,Wash,Wax,Interior stuff and leather cleaner and conditioners.

What is acceptable to keep in the garage and what isn't? I was told the chemicals in the wash and wax/sealant and polishes will break down in extreme high and low temps. My store bought megs wash has always been okay sitting out in the garage through the temps.

What does everyone suggest? I am pushing it bringing all this stuff in the house as is now, my girl is a little upset at all the stuff I've been buying lately lol.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Screamin_99

I've never owned and really good wax/sealants or anything up until this point. I've decided to keep my new wax/sealants and polish inside.

Is it acceptable to keep my washes and spray lubes and such in the garage? I have always had a huge shelf in the garage where I store my cleaning stuff. All of my products have been kept on it.

What is acceptable to keep in the garage and what isn't? I was told the chemicals in the wash and wax/sealant and polishes will break down in extreme high and low temps. My store bought megs wash has always been okay sitting out in the garage through the temps.

What does everyone suggest? I am pushing it bringing all this stuff in the house as is now, my girl is a little upset at all the stuff I've been buying lately lol.
Good post. I have the same questions.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

I saw on Autogeek is taking preorders on M101. Any ideas when its supposed to be released?

----------------

Nevermind. I just saw in big red letters December 2012. :doh:
Old 11-20-2012, 06:38 PM
Teching In

You got another convert. I've been reading this thread for a few days but still have a lot of reading to go. I started claying the car today and just ordered a porter cable kit with lake country pads and stuff. Can't wait to see the results!
Old 11-20-2012, 06:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Jeff,

Can you make any comments on the Bigfoot polisher?

Actually after spending most of the evening Autopia there are a few other new products I wanted your opinion on.

The Menz FG4000. I saw a few threads on this stuff and it "looks" pretty impressive. I see it compared to M205.

HD Cut. I am sure the timing of this had a lot to do with M101 being released in the states.

Nano Autoscrub system instead of using clay.

Using Prepwash or something similar compared to using IPA.

Thanks for any insight.

Jason

Last edited by LilJayV10; 11-21-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Jeff,

Actually after spending most of the evening Autopia there are a few other new products I wanted your opinion on.

The Menz SF4000. I saw a few threads on this stuff and it "looks" pretty impressive. I see it compared to M205.

HD Cut. I am sure the timing of this had a lot to do with M101 being released in the states.

Thanks for any insight.

Jason
Have you used the speedy prep towel? Nano also has the autoscrub 'sponge' which is pretty neat in a sense that you can "fill the sponge with solution" and squeeze to release the 'lube', 'on the fly'. While much smaller, I could see the value in it especially at the price point. Now the autoscrub would be faster, but dang I hate breaking out the polisher when it's not needed. I donno, that's just me. I've been using the speedy prep towel for a while now and I love it.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also, Don't forget about the FG400 which is supposed to finish down a lot smoother than 105/101. I've been using M101 for a while now for heavy corrections and it's a no brainer. I have some FG400 on its way to me so maybe I'll be able to chime in more once I get to test it out some. Some of the write ups already look promising.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:27 PM
TECH Regular

Nanoskin just came out with a Mitt as well, pretty neat actually. Thats who makes the Nanoskin Autoscrub Pad and the Speedy Prep Towel that SM Arnold sells

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/a...2/IMAG0613.jpg
http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/a...2/IMAG0612.jpg

Last edited by AWDTBSS; 11-21-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BadCompany VP WS6
Have you used the speedy prep towel? Nano also has the autoscrub 'sponge' which is pretty neat in a sense that you can "fill the sponge with solution" and squeeze to release the 'lube', 'on the fly'. While much smaller, I could see the value in it especially at the price point. Now the autoscrub would be faster, but dang I hate breaking out the polisher when it's not needed. I donno, that's just me. I've been using the speedy prep towel for a while now and I love it.
I haven't seen the towel but saw the mitt last night.

Also, Don't forget about the FG400 which is supposed to finish down a lot smoother than 105/101. I've been using M101 for a while now for heavy corrections and it's a no brainer. I have some FG400 on its way to me so maybe I'll be able to chime in more once I get to test it out some. Some of the write ups already look promising.
From what I saw of the FG4000 is pretty damn impressive. I think I am going to pick some of that up soon.

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
Nanoskin just came out with a Mitt as well, pretty neat actually. Thats who makes the Nanoskin Autoscrub Pad and the Speedy Prep Towel that SM Arnold sells
Yeah that's it. There's a video I saw last night of a guy using it on a car. I didn't fully agree with his process but that's just my .02. The problem I had is he was using one bucket.

I guess I would have to actually use one to see how it compares to the Nanoskin kit you use on a polisher or clay. IMO the mit would be for light contamination where the other would be for more serious contamination. Again this is all just opinion and may be completely off base. I read several threads where Barry and David where talking about how high the price of clay has gotten that has driven companies to make alternatives to clay. I just bought some Meg's med and aggressive clay. IMO their medium clay is pretty damn aggressive.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:01 PM
TECH Regular

Using it like a wash mitt isn't how you use it really even tho I know it says wash mitt on the packaging. Its mainly just to be used like a Mitt with the same technique as the Towel. Thats what the GM told me
Old 11-21-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

I meant to say FG4000, I went back and changed it. I was looking at Menz products and got confused.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Screamin_99

I guess it depends on where you live and what the weather is like. Temps here in the Bay Area can reach high 20's on the extreme cold winter days and 105+ in the hotter summer days.

Menzerna Powerlock is very temp sensitive - I lost a full bottle to temperature (heat)

Carpro Iron X doesn't like the heat either. But outside of those I've never had issues in that temperature range.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by oldbutspry
You got another convert. I've been reading this thread for a few days but still have a lot of reading to go. I started claying the car today and just ordered a porter cable kit with lake country pads and stuff. Can't wait to see the results!
Sweet! Glad to hear it!

Jeff,

The Menz FG4000. I saw a few threads on this stuff and it "looks" pretty impressive. I see it compared to M205.

Thanks for any insight.

Jason

Jason,

The Rupes Bigfoot is AWESOME. I don't know who was arguing with me about it earlier in another thread but they obviously had no clue how to really use it. Its hands down the best polisher I've ever used. I have cut TWO 2day jobs down to single day jobs because of this machine. Cuts more and finishes better and runs smoother....the trifecta. One final word: Epic.

Isn't FG4000 the renamed PO85RD? I haven't ordered new Menzerna as I still have plenty so I'm not familiar with all the renames...

Haven't used the HD cut but will get my hands on some and try it out.

I love my surface prep towel, but except for excessively contaminated cars I don't see the time value of the machine system...the towel is quicker for me. In fact, I need a couple new ones. However sometimes I prefer clay as its a very different feel. Can't explain the choice that well, but I go for whichever one seems to fit the condition/shape of the car I'm working on.

Haven't used prepwash. I like the traditional wash with dawn and wipe with IPA. I've added in Carpro's Eraser too which is great on soft paints where IPA can make the MF grab and marr.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Fast Gloss is awesome. Situations where M101 doesn't quite get it done (sometimes that does happen) Fast Gloss will step up and is really good.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
Fast Gloss is awesome. Situations where M101 doesn't quite get it done (sometimes that does happen) Fast Gloss will step up and is really good.
Good to know. I've been exchanging texts with Mr. Brown himself to get me one of the Rupes, but the coin is what I'm worried about.

Hasn't disclosed how much yet, but I know it's at least $300+
Old 11-26-2012, 06:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Good to know. I've been exchanging texts with Mr. Brown himself to get me one of the Rupes, but the coin is what I'm worried about.

It definitely is a very pricey unit but totally worth the cost.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

I am interested in one also.

Jeff,

Would you suggest getting a FLEX or Bigfoot? Right now I have the PC7424XP and want something more powerful for those bad jobs, which seems to be the only type I get.

I don't know what I would do if I got a car that just needed a white pad and some M205.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z

Isn't FG4000 the renamed PO85RD? I haven't ordered new Menzerna as I still have plenty so I'm not familiar with all the renames...
The P085RD got renamed to SF4500(super finish). The FG4000(fast gloss) is along the lines of M105 which was what Bad Company was talking about. I originally posted the wrong name previously.

It's nice to see new products coming out that are actually legit.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

On AG there is some pics and it looks amazing what it does, I am very tempted to pick up a 16oz soon.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am interested in one also.

Jeff,

Would you suggest getting a FLEX or Bigfoot? Right now I have the PC7424XP and want something more powerful for those bad jobs, which seems to be the only type I get.

I don't know what I would do if I got a car that just needed a white pad and some M205.
There is a lonnnnggg thread on autopia about it. The longer stroke of the rupes vs the pc/megs is what dominates along with a few other features. Kevin said he would get the rupes over the flex...then again, he is trying to sell them. lol

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer