Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Ask a Professional Detailer

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012 | 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

what is the SOP for exterior care when its the rainy season? i dont have a garage, so the car is in the elements 24hrs a day. i currently dont wash it if i know its going to rain within a few days, but that could mean several weeks or months before i wash, and i dont think thats good right?
Old 02-16-2012 | 12:27 PM
TECH Apprentice
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
what is the SOP for exterior care when its the rainy season? i dont have a garage, so the car is in the elements 24hrs a day. i currently dont wash it if i know its going to rain within a few days, but that could mean several weeks or months before i wash, and i dont think thats good right?
That's not good at all, especially if something is sitting on your paint and etching into the clear coat.

You still need to maintain your paint as if the sun was shining. The most important thing is to have a solid coat of wax on it. Neglecting your paint for months is just asking for permanent damage. With bird dropping, tree sap or anything as brutal as that stuff, it only takes a day for the damage to begin.

When I was in the Marines, we always made sure that our boots had polish on them. This was especially true when we were going to be in the mud and rain because the polish repelled water and kept our feet dry. You should take the same approach with your paint. The more preventive maintenance you do, the less maintenance you'll have to do.
Old 02-16-2012 | 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

i think i just got "devildogged" on the cool, huh junkman? lol. the theory makes sense, its just hard to justify the work and soap without the good logic/science behind it. i definitely need to go back a few pages and review the posts about getting the iron deposits out too. cant wait till i finally get settled and get all my washing and detail gear in one place.
Old 02-16-2012 | 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

cant wait till i finally get settled and get all my washing and detail gear in one place.
that's the worst part about being in school. my car sits outside all the time getting covered in the crap from the parking lots and the only choice for washing are the manual car washes, so i usually just use them to rinse off what i can and then actually wash at home. too bad its so far and few between . i must say i am impressed with the longevity of the blackfire wet diamond sealant so far though.
Old 02-16-2012 | 02:20 PM
TECH Apprentice
10 Year Member

i think i just got "devildogged" on the cool, huh junkman? lol.
lol!
Old 02-16-2012 | 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a question for you, I have an 01 z28 white in color, im going to get my front bumper and fenders replaced, my question is I was going to repaint the whole car but some people told me the paint is still in good condition with a very few paint chips here and their, since the front is going to be replaced, what could I do to get the car to be restored and look equal to the new paint on the bumper and fenders? thanks
Old 02-16-2012 | 06:18 PM
TECH Apprentice
10 Year Member

Simple. Go to someone who knows what they are doing. Who that may be in your area I do not know but I know who I personally stay away from:

1. Dealerships
2. Insurance shops

Now there's always the exception to the rule but that's who I DON'T want painting my car. If I did, you can bet that I would stress to the body shop manager AND the person painting my car that I am one **** S.O.B who is going to scrutinize their work with the eye of an eagle. Apparently, they expect this out of Corvette owners anyway but I would go above and beyond making myself clear. It has gotten so bad now days that the last time I needed my car repaired and painted, I did it myself. I don't have the facilities to be doing that but I made the best out of it and it turned out excellent.

Did a thread about it here.
Old 02-17-2012 | 10:57 AM
11 Second Club

I have always used different MF towels to remove different products. I.E. One towel for compound and another for polish. I know it is a good habit, doesn't hurt anything, but is it necessary?
Old 02-17-2012 | 11:11 AM
TECH Apprentice
10 Year Member

Actually, it is more important for you to be using a QUALITY microfiber towel than it is about what you're wiping off. Anything made in China is the ultimate in garbage (Auto Zone, Pep Boys, Advanced Auto, etc...). If it has a tag sewn into the edge, GARBAGE.

You can use the same towel over and over again but it depends on how much product you are wiping off the car. If the towel gets clogged with the substance that you're wiping off, it's time to change towels. When I wipe off a product, I usually come behind that wipe down with detail spray to insure that I have actually removed everything.

Last edited by Junkman2008; 02-17-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-17-2012 | 01:47 PM
11 Second Club

Great. Yeah i dont use the cheap towels for paint work.
I just was afraid of maring the paint after a final polish by using the same towel i used for a compound. I will still probably use different ones but at least i can have some piece of mind in case they get mixed up or something.
Thanks!
Old 02-17-2012 | 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Junkman2008
Actually, it is more important for you to be using a QUALITY microfiber towel than it is about what you're wiping off. Anything made in China is the ultimate in garbage (Auto Zone, Pep Boys, Advanced Auto, etc...). If it has a tag sewn into the edge, GARBAGE.

You can use the same towel over and over again but it depends on how much product you are wiping off the car. If the towel gets clogged with the substance that you're wiping off, it's time to change towels. When I wipe off a product, I usually come behind that wipe down with detail spray to insure that I have actually removed everything.
I don't use any of the Cobra MF's but straight from Autogeek's site they say they are from China and Korea (mango breeze). I doubt those are 'junk' per say but I understand what you're saying about autozone etc. And I agree.

I use Chemical Guys for my higher end MF's.
Old 02-17-2012 | 03:58 PM
TECH Apprentice
10 Year Member

The best microfiber being made today is coming out of Korea. You can't find microfiber being made in the USA because the cost is much higher than the Koreans can make it for. Now China on the other hand, that stuff is straight garbage, even the ones that Autogeek sells. All microfiber is NOT manufactured the same. If you research the production of microfiber, you will find that companies have a recipe on how they produce microfiber, depending on what it will be used for. The research will blow you away. It's like a science, and you can bet that all companies are not going to take the time or incur the expense if their customers don't have a clue. I was there at one time in my young detailing career until someone unplugged me from the detailing Matrix.

You wouldn't put cheap Chinese parts in your race engine (or for me, any of my cars). What makes you think their towels are any better?
Old 02-17-2012 | 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Junkman2008
The best microfiber being made today is coming out of Korea. You can't find microfiber being made in the USA because the cost is much higher than the Koreans can make it for. Now China on the other hand, that stuff is straight garbage, even the ones that Autogeek sells. All microfiber is NOT manufactured the same. If you research the production of microfiber, you will find that companies have a recipe on how they produce microfiber, depending on what it will be used for. The research will blow you away. It's like a science, and you can bet that all companies are not going to take the time or incur the expense if their customers don't have a clue. I was there at one time in my young detailing career until someone unplugged me from the detailing Matrix.

You wouldn't put cheap Chinese parts in your race engine (or for me, any of my cars). What makes you think their towels are any better?
Oh believe me, I understand. I'm just saying what is found from a VERY trusted and big detailing outlet.
Old 02-17-2012 | 05:17 PM
TECH Apprentice
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by BadCompany VP WS6
Oh believe me, I understand. I'm just saying what is found from a VERY trusted and big detailing outlet.
I understand. I've bought a ton of stuff from Autogeek, including some of their microfiber towels, albeit I only bought the good ones.
Old 02-18-2012 | 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Junkman i got the adams wool mitt that you told me about. That thing is awsome. I used it with mcguires soap and it was alot softer than any others ive tried.
Old 02-18-2012 | 08:28 AM
TECH Apprentice
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by JUSTINSWS6
Junkman i got the adams wool mitt that you told me about. That thing is awsome. I used it with mcguires soap and it was alot softer than any others ive tried.
I told you so. That's the only type of material that I want touching my paint. I don't want to have to constantly fix my paint. It takes too long and is not good for the longevity of your clear coat or paint.
Old 02-18-2012 | 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Autogeek is currently running a $100 gift card special for $65...

http://www.autogeek.net/members-only.html

Old 02-19-2012 | 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

This thread could use a good clean up. Get all the information on as few a pages as possible. I like the idea of this thread that its here for answers to specific problems but its seems nearly impossible to sift through 47 pages to find what your looking for. Maybe someone could condense it a little or break it up in to a sticky page linked to single post.
Old 02-19-2012 | 04:51 PM
TECH Apprentice
10 Year Member

That was talked about earlier but there's no way to really do it. The time involved would be pretty significant if there was a way. With threads like this, I save them for times when I'm doing something like this:

1. On a airplane.
2. At the DMV.
3. Listening to my girlfriend complain about something, while at HER place.
4. On the toilet after a 18 ounce fillet.

Makes for some great reading at those times.
Old 02-20-2012 | 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

^lol
I had a question. When i wash my car i use the two bucket method like you do. I also have a foam gun. Would it help to power wash the car first then foam?

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer