Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Ask a Professional Detailer

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
Oh wow....watched that video and I almost passed out after watching him work on the hood.
Bottom line....this is a "paint warranty" or insurance, NOT a "REAL" product for protecting the paint. The tar/paint/acid/fire test is a dead giveaway of the lies in a bottle they are selling.

Do NOT let them wash your car (ever) or apply this stuff to it. Correct it and opti-coat it at your first opportunity, don't wait for the weather to get nice. Protect it now and enjoy the benefits of the coating during the VERY harsh winter months.
I figued you'd get a kick out of that. Just spray some immitation road grime and spray paint, etc on the hood and light that bitch on fire! Not sure why they needed to light it on fire....

Needless to say I have my doubts about these applications. When I bring it in I'll have to tell them to not touch the exterior lol. On another note, I've never opti-coated before but very excited to try. Any tips?
Old 02-10-2012, 10:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
I figued you'd get a kick out of that. Just spray some immitation road grime and spray paint, etc on the hood and light that bitch on fire! Not sure why they needed to light it on fire....

Needless to say I have my doubts about these applications. When I bring it in I'll have to tell them to not touch the exterior lol. On another note, I've never opti-coated before but very excited to try. Any tips?
There are lots of good tips for opti-coat. My suggestion is do a search on Autopia and you'll find several ways to apply it and how to work inside the flash time and how to knock down high spots. I have developed my own method for it after MUCH testing and trial/error, but I gotta keep some secrets Besides, I use the Opti-Guard so it does go on a little differently than the Opti-Coat.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Do you know of any products that will take care of fine scratches and blemishes in glass?
Old 02-12-2012, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

What is a good wash mitt for under 15 bucks? Should i get a sheep wool, cotton, or microfiber?
Thanks justin
Old 02-12-2012, 03:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alright so I'm new to this thread and I have a question. Maybe it's already been answered and if it is say so but I'd rather ask before looking through 45 pages. Someone sideswiped my car while it was parked about two years ago. No paint was removed and the panels weren't damaged but the paint got roughed up (I don't have any before pics). Anyways, I used rubbing compound (bad idea, I know) and it made a difference but now that paint just looks dull. How would you suggest handling this? Can it be brought back to life or do I need to reshoot the area? If pics would help let me know and I'll take some.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JUSTINSWS6
What is a good wash mitt for under 15 bucks? Should i get a sheep wool, cotton, or microfiber?
Thanks justin
He recommended this on p.14

http://www.autogeek.net/pinmicmit.html

Originally Posted by SlowFRC
Alright so I'm new to this thread and I have a question. Maybe it's already been answered and if it is say so but I'd rather ask before looking through 45 pages. Someone sideswiped my car while it was parked about two years ago. No paint was removed and the panels weren't damaged but the paint got roughed up (I don't have any before pics). Anyways, I used rubbing compound (bad idea, I know) and it made a difference but now that paint just looks dull. How would you suggest handling this? Can it be brought back to life or do I need to reshoot the area? If pics would help let me know and I'll take some.
pics would help much more. sounds like it may have taken some clear off.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like you used some aggressive rubbing compound. Basically, you need to finish what you've started. Whatever polish you started with has to be followed with a lighter polish. The secret to your answer is knowing what you started with. Depending on who's brand you used, you need to find the next lighter polish in their line and then use that. Sometimes depending on what you started with, it can be a 1,2,3 or 4 step process. Again, one cannot say because you've never said what you used.

Another thing that will greatly affect how much work you will have to do is whether or not you are using a machine to polish with. If you are doing this by hand, you could be rubbing until your virginity returns. The ONLY way that I would do this is by machine, and not necessarily a rotary (as a matter of fact, most likely not). You can get a machine like the PC-7424XP and get some quality results without exposing your paint to any danger. That machine is made for the novice to paint correction and used with a quality product in conjunction with a solid technique, can yield some outstanding results.

Watch these videos on paint correction. They explain what it is you need to know.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Jeff/Junkman - Tried any of the new blackfire products yet? I'm considering trying a few of their updated items.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I haven't. I pretty much stick to Meguiar's Mirror Glaze line, 3M and Adam's. I can address anything out there with those three brands.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Junkman what mitt do you use? I have 50 free summit bucks and saw they sell mitts. They have several different types. What do you use or perfer.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Junkman what mitt do you use? I have 50 free summit bucks and saw they sell mitts. They have several different types. What do you use or perfer.
I use two of these, one for the top half of the car and one for the lower half.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is it sheep wool or cotton? So dont get the ones with a lot of tenticles on it
Old 02-13-2012, 04:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is it sheep wool or cotton? So dont get the ones with a lot of tenticles on it
It's 100%, ultra soft, natural merino wool. There is a OTC mitt that I like. They sell them at Auto Zone. This one...

Old 02-13-2012, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

^^That's what I use on my car, works good.

Question, the roadway I commute on has a TON of leftover salt on it from when it snowed this past weekend. I mean, the road is usually black, but from all the salt it's pretty much white, completely dry though. Is the dried up salt all over the road going to harm my car? I mean, when I park, there is no salt grime on the car whatsoever. But, I'm just wondering if it's still damaging and I just don't know it or see it.

As it sits, the car has 0 rust on it, the chrome wheels are almost immaculate and I've got a pretty much brand new shiny Magnaflow catback on the car that I would hate to see get messed up, so this is something that concerns me.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is the cat back stainless steel?
Old 02-13-2012, 04:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

On a older car (like my 79' El Camino), I would say DEFINITELY YES. On newer cars, they are not made of as much metal so as long as you rinse it off, you shouldn't see any issues for a long time.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

^I believe Magnaflows are stainless.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Junkman2008
Sounds like you used some aggressive rubbing compound. Basically, you need to finish what you've started. Whatever polish you started with has to be followed with a lighter polish. The secret to your answer is knowing what you started with. Depending on who's brand you used, you need to find the next lighter polish in their line and then use that. Sometimes depending on what you started with, it can be a 1,2,3 or 4 step process. Again, one cannot say because you've never said what you used.

Another thing that will greatly affect how much work you will have to do is whether or not you are using a machine to polish with. If you are doing this by hand, you could be rubbing until your virginity returns. The ONLY way that I would do this is by machine, and not necessarily a rotary (as a matter of fact, most likely not). You can get a machine like the PC-7424XP and get some quality results without exposing your paint to any danger. That machine is made for the novice to paint correction and used with a quality product in conjunction with a solid technique, can yield some outstanding results.

Watch these videos on paint correction. They explain what it is you need to know.
Thank you for the response. The car is in storage in a garage right not so there's not much light but I tried taking some pics of the damage. Let me know if this changes your answer. I'm also curious to see what OP thinks.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

^I think that needs painting.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

... Let me know if this changes your answer.
One question. Does your fingernail catch in any of those scratches? They look significantly deeper than you originally stated.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer