Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Ask a Professional Detailer

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011 | 08:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Trendkiller Z
OK, this brings up another question then. Do you rewash the vehicle the next day before continuing with paint correction or how do you go about it?
I definitely would unles it was staying in a controlled environment. Even then, an ONR wash is in order AT LEAST.
Old 09-07-2011 | 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

What's your method for cleaning door jambs?
Old 09-07-2011 | 09:54 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
You're very welcome! I'm glad I've inspired you to get even better at detailing. And its always nice to hear people are anticipating the next thread I'm going to post. Got some good ones coming up!

Thats a beautiful 66! To answer your question, I've had the same issue with single stage paints and the IPA wipedown. What I found works better is doing another Dawn wash. It may take a little longer, but it will still strip the polishing oils that the IPA would strip, and it will remove any dust in the cracks that might be left over from the M105.

For the tires, I love Meguiars Pro Line Degreaser. Has worked great on white walls for me. But if that doesn't do it, there is a product you should be able to get locally. Its made just for white walls. I can't remember what its called, but its got "Bleach" in the title. You can give that a try.
That is great, I am looking forward to them!

I will have to give the Meguiars degreaser a try, maybe scrubbing with a wool pad as well? The white wall bleach didn't really work to well, with several applications.

I used some glass cleaner to touch up a few places on the 66 without turning the paint white. I have read where it could strip the wax/sealant if there is any on the paint. You think glass cleaner is a good alternative to IPA wipedown before sealing/waxing?

Thanks
Brian

I will have to re
Old 09-07-2011 | 02:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Trendkiller Z
OK, this brings up another question then. Do you rewash the vehicle the next day before continuing with paint correction or how do you go about it?
I keep it inside so there is no need to wash it again.

Originally Posted by bobbyd
have you ever used Menzerna PO203S Power Finish Polish on a fbody? what were your thoughs of it? i currently have m105/m205 but i want to use something less agressive for small/med swirls. so im thinking of trying po203 with orange pad followed by opti seal and black diamond afterwards. you think that will be a good combo to use?
Yes, but Menzerna SIP is far superior on Fbody clear. I'd use that, in fact its my go-to polish for 1 steps on harder GM clears. Definitely out-cuts and out-shines M205.
Old 09-07-2011 | 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
I keep it inside so there is no need to wash it again.

Yes, but Menzerna SIP is far superior on Fbody clear. I'd use that, in fact its my go-to polish for 1 steps on harder GM clears. Definitely out-cuts and out-shines M205.
thanks so SIP can be use as a 1 step? will order that instead
Old 09-07-2011 | 03:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bobbyd
thanks so SIP can be use as a 1 step? will order that instead
Its excellent for a 1 step.
Old 09-07-2011 | 03:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LeftySS
That is great, I am looking forward to them!

I will have to give the Meguiars degreaser a try, maybe scrubbing with a wool pad as well? The white wall bleach didn't really work to well, with several applications.

I used some glass cleaner to touch up a few places on the 66 without turning the paint white. I have read where it could strip the wax/sealant if there is any on the paint. You think glass cleaner is a good alternative to IPA wipedown before sealing/waxing?

Thanks
Brian

I will have to re
Brian,

I wouldn't use glass cleaner on the paint, you may risk marring it.

Here's a sneak peak at an upcoming writeup where I used the Megs Degreaser on whitewalls.

Old 09-07-2011 | 03:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dabest09
What's your method for cleaning door jambs?
If they are exceptionally dirty, I'll wash them just like the rest of the car. If not, then a quick ONR (Optimum No Rinse) wipedown will do. For stubborn built up dirt in the cracks, some Megs APC and a qtip work wonders.
Old 09-07-2011 | 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what do you feel is the best way to remove dust without marring the paint or adding swirls?
for example i do a full exterior detail at home and the next day i have a car show and by the time i get there a layer of dust is on the car. i usually use megs ultimate quick detail and a good mico fiber cloth but it seems to me that when after i wipe it down a couple times it looks like there are more swirls. idk if its just me or i am adding them when i wipe it down.
Old 09-07-2011 | 04:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Smoke Em
what do you feel is the best way to remove dust without marring the paint or adding swirls?
for example i do a full exterior detail at home and the next day i have a car show and by the time i get there a layer of dust is on the car. i usually use megs ultimate quick detail and a good mico fiber cloth but it seems to me that when after i wipe it down a couple times it looks like there are more swirls. idk if its just me or i am adding them when i wipe it down.
Yes you are likely inducing swirls when you do this. Thats why a LOT of custom hot rods and classics that are show cars have massively swirled paint....the owners drive it and wipe it down. Not a good idea.

The best way is to wash it. I never detail spray a car after driving it. You may want to do an ONR wash when you get to the show if the dust is really bothersome.
Old 09-07-2011 | 05:02 PM
Banned

door edge guard is the stuff that goes on your door end so when you open your door it wont chip the paint if you hit another car.
Old 09-07-2011 | 05:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 02ws.sik
door edge guard is the stuff that goes on your door end so when you open your door it wont chip the paint if you hit another car.
Get it nice and warm in the sun, or with a heat gun and peel it off. Any residue can be dealt with by some 3M General Adhesive Remover.
Old 09-07-2011 | 05:30 PM
Banned

ok thanks so theres no chance it can take off the stock paint job?
Old 09-07-2011 | 06:33 PM
TECH Junkie

ok thanks so theres no chance it can take off the stock paint job?
Thats impossible to say for sure. Its unlikely though. No guarantee though.
Old 09-07-2011 | 07:15 PM
Banned

it only has 60000 miles on it and is in 9.5/10 condition what do you think the odds are if you had to guess.
Old 09-07-2011 | 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all the replies man. You're a huge asset to this forum. What did you recommend for the door jambs as far as dilution ratios? 10:1? I don't want to harm the paint with the APC
Old 09-07-2011 | 08:18 PM
TECH Junkie

it only has 60000 miles on it and is in 9.5/10 condition what do you think the odds are if you had to guess.
Unfortunately the adhesive holding it on doesn't care about your mileage or how good of condition the paint is in. So I couldn't tell you.

If it were my car I'd give it a try (if I wanted them off) but thats because I could likely fix just about any damage outside of it ripping the paint off.
Old 09-07-2011 | 08:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dabest09
Thanks for all the replies man. You're a huge asset to this forum. What did you recommend for the door jambs as far as dilution ratios? 10:1? I don't want to harm the paint with the APC

Wow, thank you very much!

Even at full strength an APC won't harm the paint, though it may strip any wax or sealant at that strength. 4:1 should be sufficient though.
Old 09-07-2011 | 10:00 PM
Teching In

My 02 USED to look show quality.. and I used to wash/wax/detail it pretty regularly when I lived in various houses... since moving to CA, I've been force (due to financial reasons) to be living in apartment complexes and places that prevent any type of car work.. and sadly was lazy and never really went to the self wash car washes.. partly because you have to use their nasty brush and can't hand wash.. blah... ANYWAY...

Needless to say the lack of upkeep has started to peel the clear on the hood and sail panel.. so a paintjob will be needed in the near future (when I can afford it)... the questions are...

My 5 year old vinyl graphics COOKED in the sun out here.. and parts of them actually were unnoticable to the touch.. but you can still see the "ghost" lines... could they have "burned" into the clear? Is there a way to remove them without a paint job?

The before....

The after.. I know its a terriable pic.. from my phone.. but you can see where the graphic that was on the sail still shows and over the rear quarter you can see a dark version of the stripes..

Ideas on how to remove these? On the lower doors where the direct sun wasn't so bad, there is almost no trace of them.. but on the higher parts, yeah, its noticable..

Oh and GoFast.. if you're ever in San Diego.. let me know.. I could use some pointers.. LOL.
Old 09-07-2011 | 10:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by KITTvsKARR
My 02 USED to look show quality.. and I used to wash/wax/detail it pretty regularly when I lived in various houses... since moving to CA, I've been force (due to financial reasons) to be living in apartment complexes and places that prevent any type of car work.. and sadly was lazy and never really went to the self wash car washes.. partly because you have to use their nasty brush and can't hand wash.. blah... ANYWAY...

Needless to say the lack of upkeep has started to peel the clear on the hood and sail panel.. so a paintjob will be needed in the near future (when I can afford it)... the questions are...

My 5 year old vinyl graphics COOKED in the sun out here.. and parts of them actually were unnoticable to the touch.. but you can still see the "ghost" lines... could they have "burned" into the clear? Is there a way to remove them without a paint job?

The before....

The after.. I know its a terriable pic.. from my phone.. but you can see where the graphic that was on the sail still shows and over the rear quarter you can see a dark version of the stripes..

Ideas on how to remove these? On the lower doors where the direct sun wasn't so bad, there is almost no trace of them.. but on the higher parts, yeah, its noticable..

Oh and GoFast.. if you're ever in San Diego.. let me know.. I could use some pointers.. LOL.
It looks like the paint under the graphics was preserved and the rest has faded around it. A paint correction should solve it, but if you have clear coat failure it may not be a good idea because it would speed up the failure.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer