Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Ask a Professional Detailer

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about stubborn grime and tar from the road built up on the front fenders right behind the wheels? I've tried bug and tar remover and clay bar, but they don't seem to get rid of it...

There are also a few spots on the actual fender, like underneath the "SS" on Camaros that looks like tar, but again, clay bar and bug and tar can't take car of it. What would you suggest?
Old 09-07-2011, 11:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by egott_91
How about stubborn grime and tar from the road built up on the front fenders right behind the wheels? I've tried bug and tar remover and clay bar, but they don't seem to get rid of it...

There are also a few spots on the actual fender, like underneath the "SS" on Camaros that looks like tar, but again, clay bar and bug and tar can't take car of it. What would you suggest?
Which products have you tried? Stoner's Tarminator works very well. Tardis is another very good one (find online).
Old 09-08-2011, 12:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what's best for cleaning the inside of a windshield? i have probelms with a "foggy" haze that i can see while i drive in the evening time. i try to wipe it off with a microfiber but it'll just reappear.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:20 AM
Staging Lane

Have you ever used Lusso Oro Premium Carnauba wax? I'm detailing a lexus convertible on Saturday and the customer requested I used this stuff. (He is supplying it). I'm mainly a Menzerna power lock user.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
Which products have you tried? Stoner's Tarminator works very well. Tardis is another very good one (find online).
I couldn't even tell you the name of the bug and tar remover. Ha. It's just one you can pick up at advanced auto. Can the stoners be picked up at a local auto parts store?
Old 09-08-2011, 10:40 AM
Launching!

Couple questions:

1. Previous owner had old wipers on the winshield that left fine scratches and are annoying at night, can those be removed? If so how?

2. Whats the best product for our coated leather seats? I know conditioner wont work as it never actually gets to the leather so what do you use?

3. Know any detailers in Memphis, Tn that do more than subpar work?

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2011, 11:46 AM
11 Second Club

I have used 3M adhesive remover for tar and it works wonders. They actually advertise it in the Griot's catalog for this purpose. You can pick it up at the local parts store in the paint section. You spray it on and you will see the tar start running almost instanly and you just wipe it away. I am sure it removes the wax but you can do a quick touch up after.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...rrivals&page=1
Old 09-08-2011, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

What would you recommend on a car with a show quality paint job of multiple layers of clear coat (much softer than a 4th gen fbody finish) to get light scratches and swirls out?
Old 09-08-2011, 01:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
What would you recommend on a car with a show quality paint job of multiple layers of clear coat (much softer than a 4th gen fbody finish) to get light scratches and swirls out?
Knowing nothing about the paint, its hard to give a recommendation. I always do multiple test panels with different pads and polishes to find the best combination.

Also depends on the severity of the swirls and scratches. I'd do test spots with all the Lake Country pads, with M105, M205, Menzerna SIP, Menzerna IP, Menzerna 203, Menzerna FPII, Menzerna 106FA, Megs D300/301....etc...
Old 09-08-2011, 01:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LE35thSS
what's best for cleaning the inside of a windshield? i have probelms with a "foggy" haze that i can see while i drive in the evening time. i try to wipe it off with a microfiber but it'll just reappear.
I use Stoner's Invisible Glass and a Cobra MF glass towel. Adams window cleaner also works well.

Originally Posted by ThirdgenTa
Have you ever used Lusso Oro Premium Carnauba wax? I'm detailing a lexus convertible on Saturday and the customer requested I used this stuff. (He is supplying it). I'm mainly a Menzerna power lock user.

No I haven't. I know other pros like it, but I've never tried it. I've already got like 20 different LSPs, so one more is a bit more than I need.

I tried Powerlock the other day and I didn't like it....Didn't seem to spread as easily as BFWD and when I wiped it off it left white dust everywhere. Has yours done that?

I couldn't even tell you the name of the bug and tar remover. Ha. It's just one you can pick up at advanced auto. Can the stoners be picked up at a local auto parts store?
Yes you can find it locally.

Originally Posted by strokerrace
Couple questions:

1. Previous owner had old wipers on the winshield that left fine scratches and are annoying at night, can those be removed? If so how?

2. Whats the best product for our coated leather seats? I know conditioner wont work as it never actually gets to the leather so what do you use?

3. Know any detailers in Memphis, Tn that do more than subpar work?

Thanks!
1. Lake Country Glass Polishing Kit, but its advisable to have a professional do it.

2. I use Zaino Leather Cleaner and Zaino Leather Conditioner. If the leather has a shine, I just give it a quick wipedown to knock down the shine.

3. He's a bit far from Memphis, but worth the trip as he's probably the BEST in TN.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...n-tn-guys.html
Old 09-08-2011, 02:24 PM
11 Second Club

[QUOTE=GoFast908Z;15362171]Brian,

I wouldn't use glass cleaner on the paint, you may risk marring it.

What is it about the glass cleaner that would marr the paint more than an IPA wipedown? Not being argumentative just advancing my education.

Thanks
Old 09-08-2011, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

No I haven't. I know other pros like it, but I've never tried it. I've already got like 20 different LSPs, so one more is a bit more than I need.

I tried Powerlock the other day and I didn't like it....Didn't seem to spread as easily as BFWD and when I wiped it off it left white dust everywhere. Has yours done that?
Oh wow that's strange? I don't think it's supposed to do that. I always use it on a Lake country blue pad, spread it thin, let it haze (about 45 minutes) and wipe off with a Cobra Miracle towel. I've used it on about 25 cars. The only time I ever had any dusting was when I didn't dry a crevice enough and water ran down it and hardened.
Other than that I have even used it in direct sunlight about 100 degrees out and still didn't have a problem.
I would probably contact the manufacturer and check with them.

One other thing about it is that I have to shake it EVERY time I put a dab of product on the pad. Otherwise it looks like it comes out like water.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LeftySS

What is it about the glass cleaner that would marr the paint more than an IPA wipedown? Not being argumentative just advancing my education.

Thanks
Different chemical properties. I don't know it would 100%, but I wouldn't want to risk it after spending hours on correcting the paint.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ThirdgenTa
Oh wow that's strange? I don't think it's supposed to do that. I always use it on a Lake country blue pad, spread it thin, let it haze (about 45 minutes) and wipe off with a Cobra Miracle towel. I've used it on about 25 cars. The only time I ever had any dusting was when I didn't dry a crevice enough and water ran down it and hardened.
Other than that I have even used it in direct sunlight about 100 degrees out and still didn't have a problem.
I would probably contact the manufacturer and check with them.

One other thing about it is that I have to shake it EVERY time I put a dab of product on the pad. Otherwise it looks like it comes out like water.
I did notice that it doesn't hold its consistency very well, but I did shake it frequently. I applied it on the PC with the LC blue on speed 5 (same as BFWD) and used a small amount, but i had to basically give an ONR wipedown to remove all the dust. I may get rid of the stuff.... but I'll try it at least one more time.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

those little triangle pieces behind the drivers window on my car are starting to **** me off. i have buffed and polished them sealed and waxed them and they still fade withing a week. i am considering just painting them. do you have a trick on them that may work?
Old 09-08-2011, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

Knowing nothing about the paint, its hard to give a recommendation. I always do multiple test panels with different pads and polishes to find the best combination.

Also depends on the severity of the swirls and scratches. I'd do test spots with all the Lake Country pads, with M105, M205, Menzerna SIP, Menzerna IP, Menzerna 203, Menzerna FPII, Menzerna 106FA, Megs D300/301....etc...
They're all pretty light, nothing that I've seen too serious. Do you test down low or up high (like bottom of door vs roof)?
Old 09-08-2011, 04:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by inssanity21
those little triangle pieces behind the drivers window on my car are starting to **** me off. i have buffed and polished them sealed and waxed them and they still fade withing a week. i am considering just painting them. do you have a trick on them that may work?
I've never had an issue with them. I corrected them once and just kept them sealed every time I detailed the car and they shined perfect for the 10 years I had the car. What are you using on them?

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
They're all pretty light, nothing that I've seen too serious. Do you test down low or up high (like bottom of door vs roof)?
I will usually test on the hood or fender.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

Do any of the #m products match what you use? Only reason I ask is the local body supply house we use carries them.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Do any of the #m products match what you use? Only reason I ask is the local body supply house we use carries them.
3M? The only decent 3M polish IMO is the Ultrafina.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just purchased and used the Stoner Invisable Glass yesterday. Best glass cleaner I've ever used by far.

Go Fast- My car is currently in the garage, getting ready to get put away for winter. I just bought the Porter Cable 7424XP per your recommondations. The car was washed with Meguiars gold class and dried by hand over the past weekend. I'm wanting to remove my swirls (all over my car) and get a good coat of wax on it before it goes under a car cover for the fall/winter. What product lineup would you suggest? I really like Meguiars products and would prefer to give them my business if possible. 1st, should I clay bar the entire car before treating with 105/205 (assuming that'd be a good remedy for the swirl removal)? What cutting/polishing pads should I use with said products? Do you have any better ideas?

Damn swirls are killing me!!!!

Edit- Current products I already have on my detailing cart

Meg Gold Class Shampoo/Conditioner
Meg Gold Class Carnuba Wax
Meg NXT Synthetic Wax (2) - Love this stuff!!!
Meg Ultimate Compound
Meg SwirlX
Meg Ultimate Polish (2)
Meg ScratchX 2.0
Advance Auto Terry Towels
Autocraft Microfiber Towels mixed with a few Meguiars Supreme Shine Microfibers

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head, but I have much more. Detailing cars is seriously a disease. Never would've imagined I'd spend this much cash on cleaning products.

Last edited by Rare96LT1Formula; 09-08-2011 at 04:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer