Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Ask a Professional Detailer

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Tran
Then yes, wax it just like your paint. (I wouldn't use the PC on it though )
See that was another thing I wondered. I figured a PC would be too much, but on a low OPM, I don't think it'd be any worse then hand application? There'd really be no point to use the PC though, not like it's the entire hood that'd be covered. Lol.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:32 PM
Problem?

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Problem I could see with the PC is hitting the edges... With hand application you know they are there. Not to mention I could see with a PC depositing a lot of wax on the edges. Thats why they recommend taping them up.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may have been asked already but what is the best way to clean your micro fiber towels?
Old 09-13-2011, 12:27 AM
Staging Lane

What do you think about using a spray detailer to remove applied wax?
(don't know if this has been asked already)
Old 09-13-2011, 12:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Sorry I've been gone the last few days guys....It'll be worth it when you see the writeups

Dylan pretty much nailed it about the stripes.

I would add though.... Many sealants are ok for the stripes too, without need to mask off. Zaino, Blackfire Wet Diamond, Menzerna Powerlock, and Opti-Seal. All will work on stripes with no issues or buildup on edges.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by FOSTER21
This may have been asked already but what is the best way to clean your micro fiber towels?
Actually it hasn't!

MF towel washing instructions
-Launder separately in warm or cold water (I don't use hot). Air dry or tumble dry on Low. Do not iron. Do not use: (bleach, fabric softener, water softener, or dryer sheets). Only wash MF with MF. Never wash with anything cotton. Be sure lint trap is perfectly cleaned out, as to not get any cotton fiber transfer to the MF towels. For brand new MF towels, run them 1-2 cycles through the laundry before using. Also, use a little less soap than you normally would.

Normal liquid soap is fine, but Micro Restore is specifically made for this and does a great job. Chemical Guys also have one (which I just bought) but haven't used it yet.

Originally Posted by GMMGWS6
What do you think about using a spray detailer to remove applied wax?
(don't know if this has been asked already)
Its fine for removing wax in the cracks and crevices, but outside of that its not really going to remove regular wax applied to the paint.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

How do you clean around emblems when washing? Like a "chevrolet" emblem that has a bunch of small spaces that are hard to get with a regular wash mitt.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:42 PM
Launching!

How do you wash and compound/polish areas like the rear spoiler on Trans Ams? The spoiler is high enough that the area definitely gets looked at, but the amount of clearance is less than ideal and not possible for a PC machine to get at without completely removing the spoiler.

Also, for routine waxing, is there any significant difference between wax/sealant applied by hand and wax/sealant applied by PC? Or do you just basically use the PC on the large primary surfaces that are easy to access and then wax/seal the more intricate places by hand?

Any tricks for that location similar to the bottle cap trick in your recent truck detail thread, or is removing the spoiler basically the only option if serious correction is needed?
Old 09-13-2011, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

GoFast908Z, A few questions
Do you have any preferences on car shampoos?

In your experience what are the best MF towels to go with and how many do you use during a detail?

Also as you had a nbm whats the best product to make it pop like crazy!

btw love your write ups!
Old 09-13-2011, 09:26 PM
TECH Regular

Hi, first id like to say im sure we ALL appreciate what your doing in this thread, so thanks in advanced.
I just cleaned my engine bay (98 z28, m6, 92k miles), im pretty sure im the first one to do it. See the thumbnails for before+afters

anyway, I bought some aluminum engine enamel from autozone, it was like...$6, but can i just spray down the whole thing? or should i be disassembling things to get to the heads+block? OR is this not even necessary?

ALSO whats the LEAST pain in the *** way to clean dirt off hoses?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Ask a Professional Detailer-img_20110913_142045.jpg   Ask a Professional Detailer-img_20110913_144714.jpg  
Old 09-13-2011, 09:39 PM
Banned

How do i clean off engine bay can i just spray water on and tape over my lid so no water gets in?
Old 09-13-2011, 10:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 02ws.sik
How do i clean off engine bay can i just spray water on and tape over my lid so no water gets in?
Believe it or not your engine is a little more waterproof than you think.
I didnt tape my lid, although i didnt spray my lid,
I basically covered my PCM/ECU, battery, fuse box, and a couple other wires with saran wrap, tinfoil works too.

Then get some degreaser, either simple green, or i found some purple stuff at wal mart that said good for cleaning engines...so i trust that haha
Spray down all that dirty gunky **** on your heads and block, make sure to get in the crevices, grab a paint brush, soft brush, or tooth brush to move it around into areas where it wont go.

then grab your hose, and pressure washer, BE GENTLE!!! No heavy streams on sensitive things, i used a pretty heavy mist while i was rinsing it all off, be very thorough, you dont want to leave any of the degreaser on.

Grab your high powered leave blower and blow it dry, use an air compressor to get into the smaller spots.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another question, when you do a job for a customer how do you know how much to do like as in how much correction they need? And what methods/products do you use for you basic 1 correction, and 2
correction?

Do you prefer rotary with wool pad vs DA polisher?

Last edited by CamaroSS27; 09-17-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 891 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by CamaroSS27
Another question, when you do a job for a customer how do you know how much to do like as in how much correction they need? And what methods/products do you use for you basic 1 correction, and 2 correction?
I was going to ask pretty much the same question. I was going to see if it was possible if he could post up some pics of different cars saying this car needs this pad/compound and this needs such and such.

Just to give us a general idea of what does what. I know he mentioned before a lot of it has to do with the clear coat and it's hardness.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:25 PM
Launching!

Not sure if this has been asked or have happen to anyone else. Here goes it, how would I remove a dam decal on my car that has been clearcoated over? Thanks
Old 09-14-2011, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
Its fine for removing wax in the cracks and crevices, but outside of that its not really going to remove regular wax applied to the paint.
You don't believe it will facilitate removal and minimize streaking left by wax?
Old 09-17-2011, 01:05 AM
Staging Lane

Hmm...
Old 09-17-2011, 02:18 AM
TECH Junkie

You don't believe it will facilitate removal and minimize streaking left by wax?
Detail spray is not designed to remove wax. In fact, most of them are chemically designed to reinforce the wax's bond and durability.

It should remove any streaks though.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Hmm...
To you and everyone else.....

Sorry for the delay in getting to everyone's questions. I've been pulling some very long hours the last 3 days on a very rare car. I'm completely exhausted right now. I will try to get to a few more questions tomorrow evening if possible.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:23 AM
12 Second Club

How would you go about polishing these O.E. wheels C5 wheels? I have tried Mequiars buffing compound, Mothers compound and some mothers aluminum polish even though it is cleared I believe. I tried the aluminum polish on a small section. None of this has done ANYTHING at all. They look like crap and the rest of the car looks great.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer