Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Ask a Professional Detailer

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 11:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never ever ever use metal polish on cleared wheels. Would you polish your hood with metal polish? Imagine the damage that would do....now its done to your wheels.

check this thread I made on polishing clear coated wheels.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ine-again.html

Originally Posted by 91lxstang
How would you go about polishing these O.E. wheels C5 wheels? I have tried Mequiars buffing compound, Mothers compound and some mothers aluminum polish even though it is cleared I believe. I tried the aluminum polish on a small section. None of this has done ANYTHING at all. They look like crap and the rest of the car looks great.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wrote that I tried metal polish on a small section. I know know to do it on cleared wheels, I was doing it to make sure they weren't bare aluminum even though I was sure they weren't. I used aluminum polish in a section the size of a quarter and it didn't make it any worse or better. I am not sure if the previous owner used metal polish.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:07 PM
Problem?

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just shoot Brian a message, I seem to remember him saying they were polished.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alright, another question, might've been asked, not sure.

My brother has a CTS-V that he bought and there are tiny spots all over the side windows. I felt them with my finger and they felt rough so I gave clay bar a try to see if that would do it. Well, that took the bumps away, but the spots are still there. What would you suggest? Not exactly sure what the spots could be from...
Old 09-19-2011, 02:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dabest09
How do you clean around emblems when washing? Like a "chevrolet" emblem that has a bunch of small spaces that are hard to get with a regular wash mitt.
Swissvax detail brush. Gets in nicely and safely.

Originally Posted by Shenlon
How do you wash and compound/polish areas like the rear spoiler on Trans Ams? The spoiler is high enough that the area definitely gets looked at, but the amount of clearance is less than ideal and not possible for a PC machine to get at without completely removing the spoiler.

Also, for routine waxing, is there any significant difference between wax/sealant applied by hand and wax/sealant applied by PC? Or do you just basically use the PC on the large primary surfaces that are easy to access and then wax/seal the more intricate places by hand?

Any tricks for that location similar to the bottle cap trick in your recent truck detail thread, or is removing the spoiler basically the only option if serious correction is needed?
If I'm not removing it, I do it by hand. But to do any real work, it needs to be removed.

As for the application of wax/sealant, the PC is faster but you have to follow it up in the tight spots by hand. But it spreads it better and thinner, making removal easier.

Originally Posted by CamaroSS27
GoFast908Z, A few questions
Do you have any preferences on car shampoos?

In your experience what are the best MF towels to go with and how many do you use during a detail?

Also as you had a nbm whats the best product to make it pop like crazy!

btw love your write ups!
Zaino Z7 is my favorite and CG Citrus wash is very good. I prefer the Cobra microfibers. I'll use anywhere from 20-50.

Best to make it pop, Swissvax Concorso. 2nd best - Blackfire Wet Diamond.

Thanks for the support!

Originally Posted by JohnS Z28
Hi, first id like to say im sure we ALL appreciate what your doing in this thread, so thanks in advanced.
I just cleaned my engine bay (98 z28, m6, 92k miles), im pretty sure im the first one to do it. See the thumbnails for before+afters

anyway, I bought some aluminum engine enamel from autozone, it was like...$6, but can i just spray down the whole thing? or should i be disassembling things to get to the heads+block? OR is this not even necessary?

ALSO whats the LEAST pain in the *** way to clean dirt off hoses?

Thanks!
Thank you! Engine enamel? To paint it? For the hoses, an All Purpose Cleaner should do the trick, then used a water based dressing.

Originally Posted by CamaroSS27
Another question, when you do a job for a customer how do you know how much to do like as in how much correction they need? And what methods/products do you use for you basic 1 correction, and 2
correction?

Do you prefer rotary with wool pad vs DA polisher?
I discuss it with them to determine the best course of action and what percentage removal will be best. The methods/products are too varied for an answer as they change for every single car. I prefer the DA, but will use my rotary when necessary.

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I was going to ask pretty much the same question. I was going to see if it was possible if he could post up some pics of different cars saying this car needs this pad/compound and this needs such and such.

Just to give us a general idea of what does what. I know he mentioned before a lot of it has to do with the clear coat and it's hardness.
The product description of any of the Meguiars and Menzerna products will help the most. Beyond that I can just say try some yourself or watch writeups on the detail forums. Its just too broad of a question for me to answer without writing a book.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 91lxstang
I wrote that I tried metal polish on a small section. I know know to do it on cleared wheels, I was doing it to make sure they weren't bare aluminum even though I was sure they weren't. I used aluminum polish in a section the size of a quarter and it didn't make it any worse or better. I am not sure if the previous owner used metal polish.
I guess I missed that part. They look pretty dull... Give a try to the suggestions in my thread.

Originally Posted by egott_91
Alright, another question, might've been asked, not sure.

My brother has a CTS-V that he bought and there are tiny spots all over the side windows. I felt them with my finger and they felt rough so I gave clay bar a try to see if that would do it. Well, that took the bumps away, but the spots are still there. What would you suggest? Not exactly sure what the spots could be from...
Some polish or compound on a lake country orange pad with the PC should do the trick. If not, then rotary and wool pad makes fast work of glass.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Wing Zer0
Not sure if this has been asked or have happen to anyone else. Here goes it, how would I remove a dam decal on my car that has been clearcoated over? Thanks
Hasn't been asked yet.

But you can't remove it without completely sanding down the panel and re-clearing it.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:25 PM
TECH Regular

Two questions.
First, after my long trip (~700 miles each way including through mountains) I had a ton of bugs and such that hit the front bumper and it seems that I can't remove it from the paint, tried buffing it out and using bug & tar remover but it's still kind of there. Any other suggestions?

And second, is there anything out there that I can buy to help protect my front bumper/hood for long trips to prevent having bugs and such stick?

Thanks in advanced and definitely appreciate this thread.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Banned

Ya their is a car bra for your front end
Old 09-19-2011, 07:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 02ws.sik
Ya their is a car bra for your front end
Those black ones? Not a fan.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:49 PM
Banned

Thats the only thing i know of
Old 09-20-2011, 01:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by cfallsguy
Those black ones? Not a fan.
No, its a clear film. Google 3M venture shield.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

GoFast - How do you know for sure if you have "cleared" wheels? I have the stock 2000 WS6 17" chrome (I believe..) rims. My usual cleaning methods include straight up mothers chrome polish (PN 05208) with a terry pad applicator. My wheels look nice when finished, but nowhere near as nice as those corvette wheels do!

Also, as stated earlier, I took your advice and bought the Porter Cable 7424XP buffer. I'm looking to buy some Lake Country 5.5" flat pads for it. Where can I get the best price on those? Damn things are expensive!! And what methods do you use for washing/cleaning these pads?

EDIT: Upon further research, my wheels are polished. FML.

Last edited by Rare96LT1Formula; 09-20-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
GoFast - How do you know for sure if you have "cleared" wheels? I have the stock 2000 WS6 17" chrome (I believe..) rims. My usual cleaning methods include straight up mothers chrome polish (PN 05208) with a terry pad applicator. My wheels look nice when finished, but nowhere near as nice as those corvette wheels do!

Also, as stated earlier, I took your advice and bought the Porter Cable 7424XP buffer. I'm looking to buy some Lake Country 5.5" flat pads for it. Where can I get the best price on those? Damn things are expensive!! And what methods do you use for washing/cleaning these pads?
Post a pic of the wheels. If they are chrome, then continue using chrome polish.

Autogeek has good pricing on them. I always buy them in packs of 6 to save a little. And use "corvetteforum" for the coupon code and get 10% off too. I throw mine in the washer with some microfiber detergent and they always come out flawless.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
No, its a clear film. Google 3M venture shield.
Any other ways? Just looking for something for my dd and from what I've read it's $300+.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cfallsguy
Any other ways? Just looking for something for my dd and from what I've read it's $300+.
If it's just for long trips you can always use painters tape. I know a lot of people do that when they pick up a new car and have to drive across country.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:31 PM
TECH Junkie

There is a temporary spray coming to the states soon, but for now its either the clear bra or painters tape.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

What are your techniques/products for removing stains and marks of who knows what on headliners? APC diluted a lot?
Old 09-23-2011, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
There is a temporary spray coming to the states soon, but for now its either the clear bra or painters tape.
How about PlastiDip? Peel it off every now and then to avoid it baking to the surface.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Conrad
How about PlastiDip? Peel it off every now and then to avoid it baking to the surface.
Isn't that for small pieces? Not body panels?

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer