Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Guz
I would recommend the following:

1. Wash
2. Clay
3. Test spot - Do a test spot with the least aggressive combo. ie UP with a polishing pad or M205 with a polishing pad. M205 offers more correction than UP while UP offers more polishing oils.
4. Compound - Depends on the test spot. Let the paint tell you what it needs.
5. Polish
6. Protect - Your choice of wax or sealant here.
7. Maintain

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...black-ws6.html
Just a little confused on the steps here. So for the polish part with starting off with the M205 do you seal it after this step? Is this a finishing polish or do you still need to do that after the M205? Also what colored pads are best paired with what polishes.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Dutch7
Just a little confused on the steps here. So for the polish part with starting off with the M205 do you seal it after this step? Is this a finishing polish or do you still need to do that after the M205? Also what colored pads are best paired with what polishes.
205 is a finishing polish that can cut really well. I've done things with 205 that defy belief. It can also finish down beautiful if you know how to work it. Pair it with a Meguiars microfiber finishing disc and also a Meguiars black foam.

Read up on proper priming of the pad, from Kevin Brown
Old 07-05-2015, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

one more thing does it matter the order of the pads I use? Microfiber first then the black foam pad? and also would you recommend an interface pad to put between the DA and the pads?
Old 07-05-2015, 02:12 PM
TECH Junkie

one more thing does it matter the order of the pads I use? Microfiber first then the black foam pad? and also would you recommend an interface pad to put between the DA and the pads?
Yes it matters. Do the MF pad first, and the black foam to refine afterwards.
Don't use an interface pad.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
Thanks for all the help! I'm going to give a shot pretty soon and will be sure to post before and after pics.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Those are the typical 5 steps. But the test spot is the most important one. Paint is different on all vehicles. LEt the paint tell you what it likes.

205 is a finishing polish that can cut really well. I've done things with 205 that defy belief. It can also finish down beautiful if you know how to work it. Pair it with a Meguiars microfiber finishing disc and also a Meguiars black foam.

Read up on proper priming of the pad, from Kevin Brown
I completely agree. M205 is great and so versatile. I also agree with watching Larry Kosilla's video from Ammo NYC with Kevin Brown on the topic of pad priming.

Exactly this.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just purchased a new (to me) 2013 Camaro SS 1LE and it is black. I posted here previously and received great results so here is my new questions that need professional answers.

Car will be garage kept.

The 1LE Camaro comes factory with a flat black vinyl cover over the hood. When wet i see your typical garbage water spots stuck to the vinyl that dont go away with a good wash. When dry there hardly visible if at all. How could I clean that old hard water spots out? Ive read not to wax this part of the car at all which makes since. What do i do?

The paint, possibly the clear coat, has some very very light scratches in it almost like a chick threw her purse on it and it rubbed. I want to keep that mirror brand new paint shine so what is the best way to start off with this? I wash and wax usually with Meguiars Carnuba Wash and Wax Soap or Mothers California Gold (same type of soap) and the. Use a spray way of meguiars black car spray wax. I want to do it right and i like those products and only do my detailing by hand. I dont own buffers or anything of that nature so just by hand. Should I wash, clay bar, polish, wax? If so what kind of soap and polish and wax by meguiars would you recommend?
Old 07-07-2015, 01:27 AM
TECH Junkie

It's hard to get water spots off vinyl in general. I believe it is a matte black finish if I recall correctly. This article is good.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...e-finish-care/

In regards to your paint. If you want to stick with all Meguiar's I would pick up a clay kit and the ultimate line. I always recommend this kit to newbies on the Meguiar's forum

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s-...undle/29670206

The only thing I would change is the soap to something that leaves nothing behind. I would recommend their hyperwash from their Detailer line. Also pick up the clay kit.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:45 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by The Guz
It's hard to get water spots off vinyl in general. I believe it is a matte black finish if I recall correctly. This article is good.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...e-finish-care/

In regards to your paint. If you want to stick with all Meguiar's I would pick up a clay kit and the ultimate line. I always recommend this kit to newbies on the Meguiar's forum

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s-...undle/29670206

The only thing I would change is the soap to something that leaves nothing behind. I would recommend their hyperwash from their Detailer line. Also pick up the clay kit.
I will do this. Thank you
Old 07-20-2015, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a question. On the LS1 SS spoiler, is there something (like a pad of some sort) that is supposed to go between the two center pillars and the hatch? Thank you
Old 07-21-2015, 07:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jdoyle
I have a question. On the LS1 SS spoiler, is there something (like a pad of some sort) that is supposed to go between the two center pillars and the hatch? Thank you
I know on my TA best way was to take off the spoiler
Old 07-22-2015, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mac62989

Steps taken:
Remove spoiler, Use soft brush to dislodge major dirt and blow off, Gently clean areas, Clay bar, M105, M205, Wax/sealant, Install spoiler

Old 07-22-2015, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mac62989
Originally Posted by White.Lightning

Steps taken:
Remove spoiler, Use soft brush to dislodge major dirt and blow off, Gently clean areas, Clay bar, M105, M205, Wax/sealant, Install spoiler
Thanks fellas, I appreciate it.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

I just got done doing the same thing.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

I have tried to search this thread a couple of different ways and have had no luck. I am wondering if there is a product out there that I can use to "rehydrate" or recondition my interior plastics and trim pieces... Some, like the dash, have not cracked or split yet but I feel like it is only a matter of time. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I just got done doing the same thing.
Can someone please link me to a step by step of how to take off the spoiler or just write it here. Going to be polishing my car next week and wanted to be able to remove it so it doesn't get in the way.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 351 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal Boba Fett
I have tried to search this thread a couple of different ways and have had no luck. I am wondering if there is a product out there that I can use to "rehydrate" or recondition my interior plastics and trim pieces... Some, like the dash, have not cracked or split yet but I feel like it is only a matter of time. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
For off the shelf item I like this stuff. Does a pretty good all around job on plastic, vinyl and rubber seals. Can be found at Walmart
Old 07-28-2015, 03:10 PM
Launching!

Can someone please link me to a step by step of how to take off the spoiler or just write it here. Going to be polishing my car next week and wanted to be able to remove it so it doesn't get in the way.
just remove the hatch plastic and remove the bolts..It isnt hard at all
Old 07-28-2015, 04:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Brutal Boba Fett
If you are looking for something local I would recommend either Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer and/or Meguiar's Natural Shine.

The quick interior detailer has a light cleaner in it but it will not alter the appearance of the dash. It will leave UV protection behind. You can use this as often as you like. Can be used on all surfaces including leather. I use this as a quick wipe down on my interiors to remove dust and previous protectants.

I will follow up with a protectant. On an F-Body with the angles front glass, natural shine is probably the best to go with so you don't get glare. I apply it with a microfiber applicator. It does have a cleaner as well so it will get better cleaning action with a microfiber versus foam. The microfiber will also knock the shine down a bit.

Once that has sat on the dash for a few minutes, I will follow up with a light buff with a microfiber towel. It will knock the shine down and remove any excess product.

You may need multiple applications of the protectant if the area is very dry.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
For off the shelf item I like this stuff. Does a pretty good all around job on plastic, vinyl and rubber seals. Can be found at Walmart
Thanks a lot bud. I will see if I can find some around here. Just want to keep the interior from splitting and cracking.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer