Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Ask a Professional Detailer

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
I don't know if I have many existing pictures. I can take a few 'after' shots if you wish. It is extremely tough to capture this on the car since the car is white. I'll try and snap some photos tonight although it gets dark out soon here now. If not, I will have to wait until the weekend.
Well I know one thing, your process so far sounds spot on. We'll see what Jeff has to add.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if I have many existing pictures. I can take a few 'after' shots if you wish. It is extremely tough to capture this on the car since the car is white. I'll try and snap some photos tonight although it gets dark out soon here now. If not, I will have to wait until the weekend.
If it's too much of a hassle, I understand. I'm curious as I also have an arctic white ws6. I have 1 scratch that has been bugging me since I bought the car. The scratch is about 1.5 inches long and is defintely paint-deep. Just curious to see how your repair turned out
Old 12-08-2011, 02:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

ok so i have read this entire thread and i can say WOW i have never been so excited to try to do a detail on my car. Mind you i am completely new to this for the most part and you guys are a great bunch to start this thread and release your secrets, thank you all so much especially gofast. I have only do detailing by hand so Im excited to learn the in's and outs of this art. I would have never had thought how much actually goes into paint correction and detailing. So i have created a list from exactly what you guys have suggested and have a few stupid questions. My list goes like this:

1) buying the PC starter kit that has the meg 105 and 205 in it
2) Menzerna p086KD for that real nice depth and shine after the meg 205
3) Blackfire wet diamond sealent
4) Blackfire midnight wax
5) some extra lake country orange, white and black pads
6) A few extra cobra towels for drying the car after wash and for whip down after polish and wax
7) Pinnacle xmt polishing pad conditioner for application (Is this a good idea or should i just prime the pads instead???)
8) i going to clay bar the car as well and i already have the kit but im going to buy the no rinse stuff that was mentioned as lube
9) dawn soap and foamer gun

Ok so this is my list and was wondering would it be a good idea to do the entire car with the meg 105 after the car is properly washed and clayed? I have swirls on the entire car for the most part. I didnt know if the bad ones i should just do with the 105 and then the rest of the car 205?

Also once this entire processed is done what is the proper way of taking care of it after that? Do i just wax it every 3 months. Then in a year from now polish the car again? Or just keep waxing it?

Also i know that you have to wash the car with regular dawn before you clay bar but what kind of car wash should i use for a normal wash. I have the megs gold wash and conditioner now is this ok to continue using? I know this questioned was asked but i dont remember what page it was on
Old 12-08-2011, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28SteveA4
ok so i have read this entire thread and i can say WOW i have never been so excited to try to do a detail on my car. Mind you i am completely new to this for the most part and you guys are a great bunch to start this thread and release your secrets, thank you all so much especially gofast. I have only do detailing by hand so Im excited to learn the in's and outs of this art. I would have never had thought how much actually goes into paint correction and detailing. So i have created a list from exactly what you guys have suggested and have a few stupid questions. My list goes like this:

6) A few extra cobra towels for drying the car after wash and for whip down after polish and wax
7) Pinnacle xmt polishing pad conditioner for application (Is this a good idea or should i just prime the pads instead???)
8) i going to clay bar the car as well and i already have the kit but im going to buy the no rinse stuff that was mentioned as lube

Ok so this is my list and was wondering would it be a good idea to do the entire car with the meg 105 after the car is properly washed and clayed? I have swirls on the entire car for the most part. I didnt know if the bad ones i should just do with the 105 and then the rest of the car 205?

Also once this entire processed is done what is the proper way of taking care of it after that? Do i just wax it every 3 months. Then in a year from now polish the car again? Or just keep waxing it?

Also i know that you have to wash the car with regular dawn before you clay bar but what kind of car wash should i use for a normal wash. I have the megs gold wash and conditioner now is this ok to continue using? I know this questioned was asked but i dont remember what page it was on
As to wether to use 105 or 205, you basically gonna have to expirament. A good rule of thumb to follow, is start with the least agressive method it takes to acheive your goals. Start with 205 on an orange pads( speed 5 or 6) and step up to the 105 on an orange if you need something more aggressive. With the pad condition, I personally prefer to prime the pad( KB method). I did try the pinnicle conditioner AG sent free with my PC, but I havent touched it since. Try both ways, and use the method that your happiest with.

After your paint is nice and healthy, for maintenence, you method of car washing is going to determaine how often you need to polish it to remove any new defects. Make sure your washing with the 2 bucket method, using a high quality wash mitt, and drying with something like the waffle weave microfibers. I also keep a separate mitt for wheels, door jambs and trunk jamb. Also, do make sure your maintaining your microfibers correctly( wash mitts and drying towels included) Wash with a microfiber detergent, no fabric softer or regular laundry soap, wash in cool water and air dry or dry on no heat or lowest heat setting in the dryer. It makes a huge difference being as meticulous about the cleanliness and condition of all your towels as you are the paint on your car. After mine are clean, they go from the dryer to sealable rubber tubs until Im ready to use them. I used to keep all my towels in a duffle bag, but I kept noticing that no matter how careful I was to keep the bag zipped shut when not using it, I always would see a little bit of what looked like sand at the bottom( not good) The tubs( picked up cheap at the dollar store in various sizes) solved that problem. I may sound a bit ****, but its all worth the extra effort.

Far as the Blackfire goes. I cant comment on the wax, I have never used it on mine or a customers car. I do regulary use the sealant on nearly everything I do though. The Blackfire wet diamond sealent will last 3-4 months on a regularly driven car that gets washed once a week. So, it will depend on how often you drive your Z as to when it needs to be waxed again.

For car washes, I am a die hard Zaino Z7 user and that is what I always recomend. You will be fine sticking with the megs wash.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

thanks lt4 vert for the extra advise and help it was greatly appreciated. Is there a wax other then the blackfire wax you might use after the sealant? Idk if it matters to but my car is bright metallic green ( the color the turns purple and blue) is there a polish or sealant that works better on my color?
Old 12-09-2011, 10:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My rims are done in by hard water spots/brake dust, I tried washing them multiple times but the water spots and some brake dust are basically caked on I guess.

Can I sand these and polish them back up? They are polished OE wheels ZR1s no clear coat.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Sorry I've been MIA again guys....just been swamped with work! Busiest Dec I've ever had! Pulled a 16hr day on an Aston Martin last night, getting home around 2:30am. Gonna be heading out to do work on a 911 GT3 RS shortly, but I'll handle some of your questions before I head out.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ta-stanger
Yep I'm sure! It just laughs at Mean Green!
Give this a try. Good stuff. Use gloves and follow the directions exactly. NEVER use on side view mirror glass.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
sweet. thanx. for a car in texas that stays in the sun all day, how often should i do it?
Once a month should be fine. Just clean with a "light" APC concentration so it doesn't build up.

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
This is probably the best advice you'll get. I had a cheap $35 Advance Auto "buffer" that didn't do much at all for me. I believe it actually contributed to amount of paint correction I now need, which is totally my fault. I've now been slowly working at correcting the paint but it's definitely a time consuming process. The results however are amazing when you're using the proper tools and technique. The porter cable and M105/M205 combo coupled with a 5" backing plate and Lake County 5.5" flat pads have been a real solid combo for me. Not too difficult to work and a great finish!

Originally Posted by doomsdaymachine
Best way method to clean windshield and product beside using windex; im using the old traditional method of windex and newspaper but is not good enough.
Thanks.
Stoners Invisible Glass for ones that are really grimy. Otherwise, distilled water + waffle weave glass MF towel does the job nicely.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dabest09
Can you explain how you say you do paint correction by hand on the areas like the front of a trans am bumper with all the curves and tight spots?

And exactly how many pads do you think I would use on my car with the 105/205? I don't know how dirty they should be before I put on a new pad.

Finally, can you tell me exactly what I need to do to clean the pads after I use them. I heard dawn dish soap can make the velcro peel off from the pad and stiff bristles can ruin the pads.
Sorry for all the questions lol I know you're busy.

Can't wait to use my blackfire wet diamond after I correct my paint! Got it 50% off at the sale on autogeek
Some M105/205 on a microfiber will do wonders in tight spots. As for how many pads to use, it depends on how much correction it needs. I always have 10-15 on standby just in case, that way I don't have to waste time on the job cleaning the pads. When they start loading up and you can see the pores of the foam filling too much or it starts generating too much heat, its time to change it.

Rinse them in lukewarm water, gently massage the product out of them. Use a light APC to assist if you let the pads dry before washing them.

Originally Posted by 02ws.sik
Ya my grandpa does the windows like this but too me that is something a hobo would do lol.

Imagine working on an Aston Martin or a Ferrari....you'd get shut down with the quickness trying to do that.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Here is a question for you. Your answer might be 'body shop time'.

My car got keyed from the front of the passenger door, over the door handle, and almost all the way to the rear bumper on the quarter panel. At the time I had a high insurance deductible and the insurance adjuster low balled the estimate. So I just let it ride for the time being. This past summer I purchased some touch up paint and decided to repair this myself. I knew from the get-go that it would not be a 100% repair, but it would look a lot better than what it did. I expected something along the lines of a 75% repair- meaning it would be barely visible anymore.

My process consisted of applying wax and grease remover, apply touch up paint, wet sand touch up paint until it was flat with the OEM paint, then use polishing compound and wax when done. I did this process once, and then did it again a few weeks later to try and get the scratch a little better. I would build the scratch up each time to fill it. It went from a deep scratch, to a barely visible scratch that could not be felt with a fingernail any more.

Do you feel as though I can remedy this scratch any more? Or is this as good as it will get without getting a body shop involved?

Are there any 'detailing' tricks that could help me? i.e. blend the paint into the scratch with a buffer and some product?

Thanks
Thats about as good as you can get it without going to a bodyshop. Good method.

I'm glad this thread has been a help and inspiration to you!

LT4vert pretty much covered everything quite well. Just a couple things I'll add...

The Menzerna is PO85RD. With M105/205, prime the pads with product. Experiment with other polishes with the XMT. I found it works on some but not others. Just 1 light spray is plenty.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Junkie

thanks lt4 vert for the extra advise and help it was greatly appreciated. Is there a wax other then the blackfire wax you might use after the sealant? Idk if it matters to but my car is bright metallic green ( the color the turns purple and blue) is there a polish or sealant that works better on my color?
The blackfire will look really good on that color.

Originally Posted by whytryz28
My rims are done in by hard water spots/brake dust, I tried washing them multiple times but the water spots and some brake dust are basically caked on I guess.

Can I sand these and polish them back up? They are polished OE wheels ZR1s no clear coat.
Try some Mothers Billet polish since they have no clear coat.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:48 PM
Launching!

the clear coat on the hood of my WS6 is starting to get cloudy in some spots, what's the best way to correct this? (the paint on the hood is original)
Old 12-10-2011, 12:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Its likely the clear is failing and will need repainting.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Any advice on the quickest and easiest way to clean a Diamond White vehicle? My wife has an 09 G6 GT Coupe and that thing is 2x as hard to get clean and keep clean than black in my opinion!
Old 12-10-2011, 12:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by thislswon
Any advice on the quickest and easiest way to clean a Diamond White vehicle? My wife has an 09 G6 GT Coupe and that thing is 2x as hard to get clean and keep clean than black in my opinion!
I don't really specialize in "easiest" as it is the ugly cousin of "corner cutting".

Can you give more information? What makes it so difficult?
Old 12-10-2011, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
If it's too much of a hassle, I understand. I'm curious as I also have an arctic white ws6. I have 1 scratch that has been bugging me since I bought the car. The scratch is about 1.5 inches long and is defintely paint-deep. Just curious to see how your repair turned out
Here is my Flickr album with the photos in it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5457857...7628360633775/

The first seven (7) photos are the 'before' shots, the rest are the 'after'. I tried to post process some of these photos to exaggerate the scratch so its visible. Basically it went from a deep, dark scratch that you could feel with your fingernail to a 'flat', filled, light scratch that cannot be felt with a fingernail.

Like GoFast908Z said, this is about as good as it will get without a body shop getting involved and spraying the door/quarter. I asked the questions initially to see if there were any 'tricks of the trade' that could get the repair a little bit better. It's barely noticeable now so I will leave it as-is until the car gets a repaint in a couple of years.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the opportunity to get a good car cover as a Christmas gift, however, I wash my car twice a week and put a fresh coat of wax on it once every two weeks. It's getting pretty cold here and the car sits outside most of the time unless it's snowing, would you recommend getting a car cover or am I better off just keeping wax on the paint and leaving it alone?

I ask because I've heard horror stories about a lot of car covers introducing new swirls and scratches, don't know if it's better that the car is open to the elements with some good wax on it, or just completely covered up.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a question: I'm going to be getting a brand new 2011 car this month and I was wondering if I should claybar and detail it ASAP. I'm guessing the manufacturer doesn't put any kind of protectant on their cars, inside and out?

I looked through the thread, and I saw information just on new paint, and I follow those rules on my other cars.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
I have the opportunity to get a good car cover as a Christmas gift, however, I wash my car twice a week and put a fresh coat of wax on it once every two weeks. It's getting pretty cold here and the car sits outside most of the time unless it's snowing, would you recommend getting a car cover or am I better off just keeping wax on the paint and leaving it alone?

I ask because I've heard horror stories about a lot of car covers introducing new swirls and scratches, don't know if it's better that the car is open to the elements with some good wax on it, or just completely covered up.
Why do you wax the car every 2 weeks? That is too frequent. The wax will build up too much and dull the look of the paint. 4 weeks is good, but 2 is too often.

Just get a quality cover (I'd recommend silk or satin if they can afford it), and only cover it after a wash, and never after driving it.

Originally Posted by _JB_
I have a question: I'm going to be getting a brand new 2011 car this month and I was wondering if I should claybar and detail it ASAP. I'm guessing the manufacturer doesn't put any kind of protectant on their cars, inside and out?

I looked through the thread, and I saw information just on new paint, and I follow those rules on my other cars.
Yes, clay and wax/seal it right away. Manufacture doesn't, but the dealer might. Tell them not to wash it or touch it in any way.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer