Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Ask a Professional Detailer

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 06:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by evilz99
can someone please help me with this?
You said that the stuff comes off if you scrub real hard. That may be your only option. It is hard for someone to suggest what you should use without testing it themselves. What you have to keep in mind is that those wheels are coated with chrome. Chrome is NOT a material that wheels are made out of. Thus, I may suggest something that would not only clean the wheels, but would also start the chrome to peeling. Thus, I don't feel confident suggesting anything. Someone else may feel differently.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Did you even read what I said? Did you look at the pics that you asked for? They are PAINTED black with a polished lip not Chrome. And the first time I asked you clearly didn't read the whole question because you were telling me to replace brake pads when I clearly said I bought the wheels that way and was asking how to remedy it not what brake pads to use.
I am sure you have helped some people but honestly if you are not going to read the whole question maybe you shouldn't be giving answers. Just sayin...

Can the OP help me out please.

Not trying to be an ******* but if you look on page 38 you can see the question I asked and the answers I got them you will understand.

Last edited by evilz99; 01-30-2012 at 07:15 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 01-30-2012, 07:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well easy off oven bake will take it off i know but use that at your own risk. Spray it let it set and it comes off. I did that on my camary dd.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

If that doesnt work you can throw them away.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

that will take off the paint to though wont it?
Old 01-30-2012, 08:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Did you even read what I said? Did you look at the pics that you asked for? They are PAINTED black with a polished lip not Chrome. And the first time I asked you clearly didn't read the whole question because you were telling me to replace brake pads when I clearly said I bought the wheels that way and was asking how to remedy it not what brake pads to use.
I am sure you have helped some people but honestly if you are not going to read the whole question maybe you shouldn't be giving answers. Just sayin...

Can the OP help me out please.

Not trying to be an ******* but if you look on page 38 you can see the question I asked and the answers I got them you will understand.
Sorry that I can't help you.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Junkman2008
Sorry that I can't help you.
its ok but you should read all of what people write before replying to them for advice. Not trying to be offensive or rude in anyway. I am using meguiars a to z wheel cleaner with a toothbrush and it is coming off pretty good but we will see how the paint survives if worse comes to worse I will just strip them and have them powdercoated.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Junkman - What on earth did you use to clean those ports on your cylinder heads?!? I'm getting ready to swap in an LS6 valley cover and Intake, and I'd love to clean out the deposits in the heads. Please advise!!

EvilZ - Sounds to me at least like you'll need a really heavy duty wheel cleaner to get that caked brake dust off. I'd suggest trying brown royal wheel cleaner. It's a safe yet very effective product.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEhR3e35ZBE

The audio is shitty, but take a look at all the crap coming off the wheel!

Last edited by Rare96LT1Formula; 01-30-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
Junkman - What on earth did you use to clean those ports on your cylinder heads?!? I'm getting ready to swap in an LS6 valley cover and Intake, and I'd love to clean out the deposits in the heads. Please advise!!
I used brake parts cleaner, some towels and a toothbrush. It took awhile. Also, don't get any cleaner on any of the rubber parts or gaskets. I have never had an issue with that stuff but as well as it works, it can't be good for either. Just wipe off the major dirt first, being careful not to get a drop into any cylinder holes (I taped mine off with painters tape), then dampen a towel with brake parts cleaner and wipe away the majority of the rest (don't use paper towels). Last of all, break out the tooth brush and go at the attention to detail. That's how I do it. I'm going to be doing a more thorough job here soon as I'm changing my head gaskets. I'm really going to do some cleaning then!
Old 01-30-2012, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula

EvilZ - Sounds to me at least like you'll need a really heavy duty wheel cleaner to get that caked brake dust off. I'd suggest trying brown royal wheel cleaner. It's a safe yet very effective product.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEhR3e35ZBE

The audio is shitty, but take a look at all the crap coming off the wheel!
Wow that stuff is crazy. Is it safe on all finishes? I need to use it on my wheels.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I am definately getting some of that stuff. That is some good stuff lol. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I am definately getting some of that stuff. That is some good stuff lol. Thanks for the help.
Yes, it was recommended to me by another detailer on this thread (ThirdgenTA, I believe). I went ahead and ordered it, comes out to like $20ish shipped to my door. Best part is, you can dilute it to make more product! For really bad wheels though, I've used it at full strength with fantastic results. It's ph neutralized so it's safe on wheels - Correct me if I'm mistaken, Jeff! Good luck man.

There are also some really good other wheel cleaners that I haven't mentioned. Only reason I mentioned brown royal is because I can confirm its effect on poorly maintained wheels.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

133,000. She is no garage queen!

That's impressive! My motor didn't look that clean after I rebuilt it.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
I was trying to think of how to organize it myself since I came back to this thread and spent quite a few minutes searching for it. The only solution I came up with was to have the OP update the original post with specific items....for example:

1. General car care wish list
a
b
c
d
e
f
~z

2. Headlight restoration
a
b
c
d
e
f

3. Tire dressing/wheel cleaners
Use a,b,c,d

4. Etc

It's tough though since it would require a good amount of time to keep updating the post.
Yea, that would be quite a task. The best thing to do would probably be to have the OP just update the initial post with links to different parts of the thread and what is being discussed. Still a bit of work though.

I will try to set aside some time to do that soon.

Thanks Junkman for answering so many questions! Things have been busy and I haven't been on much.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS6427
Every brand does it. Guess its just the crazy humidity. The worst is Zaino....that stuff is terrible. Its like glue. I'll never use it again.

I use that new Meguires Polish.....excellent durability.

I've just been washing my car after I polish it to get it off. It washes right off with light soap and water. So I don't remove polish anymore with a dry towel after applying it. Much easier to just take 5-8 minutes and wash it real fast....then to use a towel the polish off.

Works great and every bit of polish comes off in that quick wash. Zaino actually told me to do this when I called to complain about their polish not coming off.

Must be doing something wrong....I've never had an issue with Zaino coming off....UNLESS its applied too thick. Its designed to go on VERY thin. 1/4oz will do the whole car on average.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by J8127
What would you guys do with a black daily driver in the pacific northwest, where if you aren't familiar, it rains all day long 6 days out of the week for 10 months out of the year. I would like to polish out all the swirls and what not and then put on the longest lasting wax/sealant known to man.
One of the new coatings is what you'll want. Opti-Guard/Opti-Coat or Cquartz/Aquartz, Gtechniq C1 are all VERY long term coatings with durability starting at about 18 months to several years. There is too much info on them for me to include it all here.....so search those products on Autopia.org and then get yourself some. Polish out ALL your swirls first, then apply. Enjoy 1+ years of protection!
Old 02-01-2012, 12:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by That Camaro Guy
Remember polish is like compound but more fine. It's like a fine sand paper dissolved in solution. When you wash a car after polishing you're just removing residue. If you "polish" a car then have the ability to wash it away revealing swirls, then it isn't a true polish. That would be a glaze used to hide imperfections of a clear coat. This is why zaino said to wash the car, it's an actual polish.
Only Zaino ZPC is a true polish. The others (ZAIO, Z2pro, Z5pro) are sealants....regardless of what the bottle says.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:39 AM
TECH Junkie

On a side note.....the email notification system failed!! Tonight was the first time I've gotten an email indicating a response to this thread in like 10-12 days I think. I guess I'll have to be more proactive about it. After saturday I'll be able to get more active again on here. Just finished a few BIG detail trips on some very special cars and am in the middle of a 70+hr restoration detail on a Z06 that will go up this weekend.

Thanks for being patient guys!
Old 02-01-2012, 02:14 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
Only Zaino ZPC is a true polish. The others (ZAIO, Z2pro, Z5pro) are sealants....regardless of what the bottle says.
I stand corrected. Just trying to educate others from what I've read thus far.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:52 AM
Launching!

Apologize if already asked as this can't be an isolated occurrence. The previous owner had a dash pad/mat and held it on with some type of glue or adhesive. The remnants of it is hard and clear so I am guessing super glue? Is there something out there that will remove the spots without discoloring the dash? Oh and it is on both sections, hard plastic by the windshield and softer dash pad.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer