Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Ask a Professional Detailer

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh OK I see what you're saying. I was talking strictly about the motor. Very informative.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gofast or junkman, I noticed today while washing my car I had a few paint chips/spots. I knew I had a few, but stumbled across what I think is a new one today. Obviously these can ruin the look of a "perfect" finish. Is there anything you guys recommend to fix these spots? Since I have a black car the color matching doesn't matter as much. I know a respray is the best option, but that isn't anywhere close to happening lol. I've seen things such as Dr ColorChip and wondering if they are worth their weight in salt.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, Dr. Colorchip and Langka will both work but there is one catch.

You have to follow the manufacturer's instructions TO THE LETTER. Anyone who has ever had any issues with these products did not heed that disclaimer.

Last edited by Junkman2008; 02-02-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to know. I might try it on the roof chips of our Trailblazer first then.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how often should i clean and condition leather seats? car is parked in a garage so it won't be affected by the sun. thanks.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LE35thSS
how often should i clean and condition leather seats? car is parked in a garage so it won't be affected by the sun. thanks.
Actually, the answer to how often you should clean something is totally logical.

Whenever it gets dirty.

Now that may seem like a smart *** answer but think of it this way. The more often you clean something once it begins to get dirty, the less work it will be to clean. This is true with the engine, the carpet, the undercarriage (if you so desire), and so on. If you want less work, clean more often.

Since cleaning leather will remove the conditioning, you will need to recondition it after you clean it. Thus, you will always do so after any cleaning. I don't believe in making this stuff rocket science because I am no rocket scientist.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Junkman2008
Actually, the answer to how often you should clean something is totally logical.

Whenever it gets dirty.

Now that may seem like a smart *** answer but think of it this way. The more often you clean something once it begins to get dirty, the less work it will be to clean. This is true with the engine, the carpet, the undercarriage (if you so desire), and so on. If you want less work, clean more often.

Since cleaning leather will remove the conditioning, you will need to recondition it after you clean it. Thus, you will always do so after any cleaning. I don't believe in making this stuff rocket science because I am no rocket scientist.
hahaha i gotcha. thanks for the input, just figured there would be some sort of special care.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Junkman/GoFast- Any experience with the leatherique conditioner/cleaner system? Looking to use them with the leather in my trans am - ebony color. The leather looks pretty good right now, but I want it looking even better. If not leatherique, then what?!?
Old 02-04-2012, 10:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not familiar with that brand. I have used Adam's, Zaino and even a generic OTC brand from Auto Zone with very good results. The Zaino and Adam's brands were pretty much identical in performance but the Zaino brand has a nice leathery smell to it. If your leather is clean and in good shape, you don't want to be using any kind of strong cleaners on it. Less is more when it comes to leather and cleaning strength.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
Junkman/GoFast- Any experience with the leatherique conditioner/cleaner system? Looking to use them with the leather in my trans am - ebony color. The leather looks pretty good right now, but I want it looking even better. If not leatherique, then what?!?
IMO, its the best leather treatment on the market. However, there is no point in doing the conditioning half as your seats are coated leather, so conditioner will not penetrate the surface. The cleaner will work amazing though, pH balanced for strong but totally safe cleaning. Be patient and follow the directions. The longer and the more heat the better.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
IMO, its the best leather treatment on the market. However, there is no point in doing the conditioning half as your seats are coated leather, so conditioner will not penetrate the surface. The cleaner will work amazing though, pH balanced for strong but totally safe cleaning. Be patient and follow the directions. The longer and the more heat the better.
Good to hear from someone with experience with that product.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Okay....opinions on Liquid Glass polish for final step? Ive been using this for decades. It comes in a tin can and leaves no residue. I even use a PC to apply it.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

You got me. After I found a glass cleaner that could remove DNA off laptop screens (where I find some of the greasiest, bucket-o-chicken eating type fingerprints), I stuck with it.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

You got me. After I found a glass cleaner that could remove DNA off laptop screens (where I find some of the greasiest, bucket-o-chicken eating type fingerprints), I stuck with it.
What cleaner is this? I want to use M105 and an orange pad on my windows to remove some hard water spots.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

I always thought that a glass cleaner was a glass cleaner. I have never had any issues cleaning glass so one brand worked just as good as another brand for me. But I always had issues cleaning laptop screens until I used some Adam's Glass Cleaner on a screen. Normally, I would have never tried because you can't just use anything on a laptop screen that but that was all I had at a show I was at. Wow, that stuff worked wonders. I don't know where Adam's gets it from but that stuff is a miracle worker in a bottle.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

I always thought that a glass cleaner was a glass cleaner. I have never had any issues cleaning glass so one brand worked just as good as another brand for me. But I always had issues cleaning laptop screens until I used some Adam's Glass Cleaner on a screen. Normally, I would have never tried because you can't just use anything on a laptop screen that but that was all I had at a show I was at. Wow, that stuff worked wonders. I don't know where Adam's gets it from but that stuff is a miracle worker in a bottle.
i have a bottle of that myself. works wonders
Old 02-04-2012, 04:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LE35thSS
i have a bottle of that myself. works wonders
And I will be the last person to say something crazy like everything that Adam's makes is the best stuff on the market but that window cleaner is the shizzle.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
Hmmmm, ok. But I thought proper leather care always included separate cleaning and conditioning "steps". So if I were to clean the leather in my TA with it, what product(s) would I use to protect?

I was also planning on using the kit on my wifes 2000 Honda Accord with some clearly aged/cracked brown leather seating. We want to clean her up before we sell her in the spring.

As always, thanks for your constant help and knowledge!
Old 02-05-2012, 12:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
Hmmmm, ok. But I thought proper leather care always included separate cleaning and conditioning "steps". So if I were to clean the leather in my TA with it, what product(s) would I use to protect?

I was also planning on using the kit on my wifes 2000 Honda Accord with some clearly aged/cracked brown leather seating. We want to clean her up before we sell her in the spring.

As always, thanks for your constant help and knowledge!
Yes, caring for real genuine leather requires a separate cleaning and conditioning step. However, for coated leather (in 90% of cars with "leather") it only needs cleaning. The coating prevents anything from actually reaching the leather underneath, so you can't protect it as the coating already does that job. Even BMW uses coated leather or "leatherette" as they call it. In a BMW (and some others) only have REAL leather if you get the Napa Valley Leather Upgrade (other makes have different named options for genuine uncoated leather).
Old 02-05-2012, 03:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by chaman
Okay....opinions on Liquid Glass polish for final step? Ive been using this for decades. It comes in a tin can and leaves no residue. I even use a PC to apply it.
Anyone?

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer