Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Ask a Professional Detailer

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 03:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
I will try to set aside some time to do that soon.

Thanks Junkman for answering so many questions! Things have been busy and I haven't been on much.
Glad to be able to jump in and help.

Must be doing something wrong....I've never had an issue with Zaino coming off....UNLESS its applied too thick. Its designed to go on VERY thin. 1/4oz will do the whole car on average.
I agree. That's exactly what Sal Zaino will tell you.

Only Zaino ZPC is a true polish. The others (ZAIO, Z2pro, Z5pro) are sealants....regardless of what the bottle says.
Very true. Sal's terminology is slightly different from the industry norm.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

wow I used the sonax wheel cleaner that is safe for all finishes and that stuff took it all right off that stuff is great! I am gonna get some of that brown royal next to try as well on the other wheels to see which is better...
Old 02-01-2012, 10:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

GoFast what are your favorite products to use on Sebring Silver colored F-body's? I am looking to get a Porter Cable 7424 kit and want to get the best products to use on this new color. Thanks!

I searched "silver" and "sebring" within this thread and didn't come up with anything helpful.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djfury05
GoFast what are your favorite products to use on Sebring Silver colored F-body's? I am looking to get a Porter Cable 7424 kit and want to get the best products to use on this new color. Thanks!

I searched "silver" and "sebring" within this thread and didn't come up with anything helpful.
i'm obviously not GoFast, but i do have a SS trans am and i used blackfire wet diamond on it last and it looked amazing when it was all done and it seems to still be holding up after being outside for the last month at school.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by djfury05

Well the Menzerna (SIP/106FA) or Meguiars (105/205) PC kit will do a great job of giving you a phenomenal finish. You just need to pick what LSP you'd like to use to protect it. Blackfire Wet Diamond is great, so is Meguiars 301, though I'd give the durability edge to the BFWD.

For a nice 'nuba, P21S 100% looks REALLY good on silver. If you can find it....I'd get Megs #16, but good luck finding it.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02 NHRA
Apologize if already asked as this can't be an isolated occurrence. The previous owner had a dash pad/mat and held it on with some type of glue or adhesive. The remnants of it is hard and clear so I am guessing super glue? Is there something out there that will remove the spots without discoloring the dash? Oh and it is on both sections, hard plastic by the windshield and softer dash pad.

Nobody? ...local guys and friends of mine say to try goo-gone. Has anyone used it on a dash before?
Old 02-01-2012, 11:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Nobody? ...local guys and friends of mine say to try goo-gone. Has anyone used it on a dash before?
I'm not sure on that one. Heavy solvents that might remove it also may remove the color on the dash. Haven't had to deal with that one, so I'm not sure.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:42 PM
Staging Lane

i used goo gone on the dash of my dad's 98 grand prix gt. i removed what was left of duct tape/stick on velcro that was left in the heat all summer for several years . i will say that i had great results without damaging the dash.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the Menzerna (SIP/106FA) or Meguiars (105/205) PC kit will do a great job of giving you a phenomenal finish. You just need to pick what LSP you'd like to use to protect it. Blackfire Wet Diamond is great, so is Meguiars 301, though I'd give the durability edge to the BFWD.

For a nice 'nuba, P21S 100% looks REALLY good on silver. If you can find it....I'd get Megs #16, but good luck finding it.
Thanks for the quick reply.. Just to confirm BFWD is a sealant and P21S is carnauba wax? Which will last longer and give a better shine/gloss?
Old 02-02-2012, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

One thing I forgot to ask. I bought a cheaper rotary buffer, variable speed. This is my first buffer and first time using it on a car. Is there anything I should look out for? Or should I go ahead and buy a PC dual action guy instead? I got the rotary buffer for $30 at Harbor Freight tools. For the frequency I'll use it, its fine.

I guess my questions is, will the rotary be fine? Or should I really invest in a PC?
Old 02-02-2012, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
One thing I forgot to ask. I bought a cheaper rotary buffer, variable speed. This is my first buffer and first time using it on a car. Is there anything I should look out for? Or should I go ahead and buy a PC dual action guy instead? I got the rotary buffer for $30 at Harbor Freight tools. For the frequency I'll use it, its fine.

I guess my questions is, will the rotary be fine? Or should I really invest in a PC?
You can easily damage your paint with a rotary.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Guitar
You can easily damage your paint with a rotary.
Devils advocate: Can you do that with a PC DA?
Old 02-02-2012, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

Here's a quick video on the diff types of machines, white.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/text/con...l_why-use.html
Old 02-02-2012, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Devils advocate: Can you do that with a PC DA?
No/it is impossibly hard to.

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/ju...orner/4034.htm
Old 02-02-2012, 01:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Guitar
After watching those videos I'm sold!!!! I saw the 7424XP on Amazon for 115. Any other good places to buy it?
Old 02-02-2012, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

After watching those videos I'm sold!!!! I saw the 7424XP on Amazon for 115. Any other good places to buy it?
Check autogeek, they have kits that come with polishes if you need some correction.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:42 PM
TECH Resident

The griot's one has a slightly more powerful motor. I believe it's the one gofast now uses.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ynkssws6
The griot's one has a slightly more powerful motor. I believe it's the one gofast now uses.
Actually, the Griot's, Meguiar's and the PC are equal in the results that you will get. I've studied the specs of each machine and despite their fancy wording, the tiny differences listed make the machines are equal. If it were me, I would buy the cheapest machine of those three that you can find. That $30 jobber that White.Lightning first purchased isn't worth the price of a door stop. Take that junk back and get a refund.

By the way, if you purchase those polishers with a kit, that makes them significantly cheaper. If anyone needs a coupon code, I can get you one for Adam's. Just PM me, I'm not going to post it in this thread. I do give it out near the end of any video series that I have done.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

The results are most likely the same. However, the griot's does have a stronger motor. 7 amp vs 4.5 FWIW. How that is fancy wording though, I'm not quite sure.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ynkssws6
The results are most likely the same. However, the griot's does have a stronger motor. 7 amp vs 4.5 FWIW. How that is fancy wording though, I'm not quite sure.
Because of the limited amount of power that a orbital polisher has, that "more powerful" motor doesn't mean anything. You're just looking at the numbers. I'm looking at the performance of the machine. Some orbital polishers are just rebranded PC's (the European DAS6 comes to mind). If it uses a free floating spindle assembly, it's nothing more than a rebranded PC.

Orbital polishers and dual action polishers are two different things. A dual action polisher (like the Flex3401-VRG), is significantly more powerful than any orbital polisher and will be rated in OPM's & RPM's. The polisher you're talking about is only a orbital polisher (rated in only OPM's) and thus, performs similar to the Meguiar's polisher as well as the PC. Thus, there is no advantage of one over the other except for cost. You can't call a orbital polisher more powerful than another unless the OPM's are significantly higher than the other. For example, those cheap, China made orbital polisher in the auto stores have a max output of 3000 OPM's. The PC, Griots and Meguiar's machines get up in the neighborhood of around 6800 OPM's. That's significant.

The OPM difference between the PC7424XP and the older PC-7424 is 800 OPM's. I have both. Used side by side, you cannot tell the difference between either and the newer one does no more faster correcting than the older one. Eight hundred OPM's is not a significant difference. Thirty-eight hundred is. Thus, all three machines that I have mentioned are equal in performance.

Look at it as horsepower. It's that power that gets to the wheels that matters.

Last edited by Junkman2008; 02-02-2012 at 03:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer