Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Ask a Professional Detailer

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theaccountant
I figured that about the brush, though I was hoping it wasn't true...problem is that there are huge signs in the wash bays that say "no buckets" and "no hand washing"...but that's probably because they don't want people cheaping out by going there and just using the water...maybe if I make it so that I've got money in the meter the whole time they'd leave me alone.
Yeh, I understand. I use to have to use those when I lived in an apartment. It sucks but they will definitely put swirls all in your paint.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I figured that about the brush, though I was hoping it wasn't true...problem is that there are huge signs in the wash bays that say "no buckets" and "no hand washing"...but that's probably because they don't want people cheaping out by going there and just using the water...maybe if I make it so that I've got money in the meter the whole time they'd leave me alone.
I have a friend that owns a condo and has had his troubles trying to keep his paint nice while living there. He recently started using Optimum No Rinse with a microfiber wash mit. Only uses 2 gallons of water in a home depot 5 gallon homer bucket with a grit guard. He gets great results every time, I was very impressed. I think all in all he only initially invested about $100 in everything and has enough products for many washes. You might want to take a look at that imo.

GoFast- You have any experience with Optimum No Rinse?
Old 10-10-2011, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
I have a friend that owns a condo and has had his troubles trying to keep his paint nice while living there. He recently started using Optimum No Rinse with a microfiber wash mit. Only uses 2 gallons of water in a home depot 5 gallon homer bucket with a grit guard. He gets great results every time, I was very impressed. I think all in all he only initially invested about $100 in everything and has enough products for many washes. You might want to take a look at that imo.

Thats what I use on my car's for maintenance washes. I love the stuff.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

I use it all the time... And coincidentally I use 2 home depot buckets with grit guards and a Cobra Chenille microfiber wash mitt.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

Yes he does. One of the pending questions he hasn't gotten to yet is how to use it correctly.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Trendkiller Z
Yes he does. One of the pending questions he hasn't gotten to yet is how to use it correctly.
This is straight from optimums website and this is the way I use it.

Directions:
Add 1 oz. of Optimum No Rinse™ Wash & Shine to 2 gallons of water in a bucket. Soak a plush microfiber towel into the wash solution and wash one section at a time till it is completely clean. Dry the section using a clean plush microfiber towel.

Some people also go as far as filling a lawncare spray pump such as this and spray the car down with the mixed solution and then follow the directions. I guess it gives the ONR time to dwell and loosen the dirt.

I also use ONR as clay lube because it works very well and I can do a ton of cars out of one bottle.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ThirdgenTa

Directions:
Add 1 oz. of Optimum No Rinse™ Wash & Shine to 2 gallons of water in a bucket. Soak a plush microfiber towel into the wash solution and wash one section at a time till it is completely clean. Dry the section using a clean plush microfiber towel.

Some people also go as far as filling a lawncare spray pump such as this and spray the car down with the mixed solution and then follow the directions. I guess it gives the ONR time to dwell and loosen the dirt.

I also use ONR as clay lube because it works very well and I can do a ton of cars out of one bottle.
Yeh, I saw those directions but one thing he pointed out was not using it on extra dirty vehicles. Just curious if there are other tips he has as well. Thanks you for the info though.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeh, I saw those directions but one thing he pointed out was not using it on extra dirty vehicles. Just curious if there are other tips he has as well. Thanks you for the info though.
Saturate the panel with a sprayer as mentioned above and allow it time to break down the dirt and emulsify everything. (I used a hand pump sprayer similar to the one above) After that, then you take your wash medium and GENTLY run it across the surface. You're not scrubbing or pushing down with any moderate pressure. I usually wring out my wash mitt or MF so it's not just sloppy but still has a good amount of saturation. If it takes a couple of applications, then so be it. Treat it as a traditional wash with grit guards and two buckets.

This is not a traditional wash replacement. But to be used in case you do not have access to water etc.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

So if I've got the options of the do it yourself car wash or the Optimum No Rinse (given I can't do a full on car wash where I live)...

- If the car were REALLY dirty, would a quick rinse at the do it yourself place, followed by a parking lot cleaning with the Optimum No Rinse be acceptable as a "traditional wash replacement?" I can see how, if a car were really dirty, the likelihood of dragging dirt across my paint would go up alot.
- Can this Optimum No Rinse REALLY cause no scratching? They say it won't in their writeup...just seems like without knocking solid dirt loose before wiping on the car would have to cause scratches. Then again, I know pretty much nothing about washing and detailing cars, and if you guys use it and say it works without scratching, I'm going to order it and try it this weekend. Would save me $7 a weekend if it works.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

So if I've got the options of the do it yourself car wash or the Optimum No Rinse (given I can't do a full on car wash where I live)...

- If the car were REALLY dirty, would a quick rinse at the do it yourself place, followed by a parking lot cleaning with the Optimum No Rinse be acceptable as a "traditional wash replacement?" I can see how, if a car were really dirty, the likelihood of dragging dirt across my paint would go up alot.
- Can this Optimum No Rinse REALLY cause no scratching? They say it won't in their writeup...just seems like without knocking solid dirt loose before wiping on the car would have to cause scratches. Then again, I know pretty much nothing about washing and detailing cars, and if you guys use it and say it works without scratching, I'm going to order it and try it this weekend. Would save me $7 a weekend if it works.
Personally, I wouldn't suggest ONR on a REALLY dirty vehicle. The chances of adding imperfections to the paint scares me with that scenario. Maybe a seasoned pro would, but I personally would not. As far as ONR causing scratches, If applied correctly that shouldn't be a problem. Search youtube for instructional videos, ScottWax has a couple of them showing how to properly apply it to both the paint surface and even wheels of the car. I just purchased a gallon of it and finally had a chance to try it yesterday. Saves me time compared to washing with my usual Meguiars gold class and drying with an absorber towel. Great product and a good price imo.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Directions:

Never seen this method suggested before, thanks! Seems like a great idea too!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Staging Lane

I've ordered the Optimum No Rinse, a grit guard, and I'm gonna go get a sprayer and bucket from Home Depot. I'll take some pictures when I'm all done and I will post them.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've ordered the Optimum No Rinse, a grit guard, and I'm gonna go get a sprayer and bucket from Home Depot. I'll take some pictures when I'm all done and I will post them.
Don't forget to grab a microfiber wash mitt/sponge and some decent quality microfiber towels. Here's a pretty good video (from what I understand) of proper application and removal of ONR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYOAyxsEIuQ
Old 10-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for that! I'll have plenty of microfiber towels. I'm actually excited about doing this...just got this Camaro a month ago, and the last time I got into washing and waxing a car (10 years ago) I used all stuff you could get at the discount auto parts store - and it looked crappy. Just from having read this thread, last week I bought some Chemical Guys products, did a wash and applied the BlackLight sealant and I couldn't believe how nice it came. So now I know there is stuff out there that really works well, isn't terribly difficult to use, and it's fun rather than a thankless chore.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you sir!
You're welcome!

Go Fast- Any suggestions for removing dirt/grime/brake dust from the inside of the stock polished wheels? I am open to taking them off of the car obviously.
Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner + Daytona wheel brush (or Wheel Woolies) should do a great job. If the inside has never been cleaned you still may need to take them off to clean more thoroughly.

I've read this whole thread...great information and very generous of you to share all of this information.

I've got a few questions that I did not see asked...maybe because they are stupid...

1. I imagine there has to be other folks on this forum that have to wash their car at a self service auto wash place...any thoughts on how to make this work? Right now, I'm using the low pressure rinse, then the soapy brush, then the low pressure rinse, driving home, using a microfiber towel to get whatever water hasn't blown off, then using a detail spray on the whole car...am I committing a bunch of cardinal sins?

2. I didn't see any mention of those silicon "t" edge water blades for drying a car...is that because they are just awful to use?

3. Do you offer any kind of consultation service? Maybe someone sends you some cash through paypal and you give them a half hour telephone consultation so that they can come up with a good solution for keeping their car looking good without having to become a master detailer? If so, pm me because I'd like to do that.
1. I think has been answered quite well by other members.

2. I don't recommend them. Get 1 spec of dirt and they will scratch your paint badly.

3. PM sent.

Here's one that hasn't been asked i don't believe. Do you ever use air fresheners? If so, what's a good leather smell one and any other good ones you've used?
I never use air fresheners. Makes the car feel cheap...used. Leather conditioner and freshly cleaned carpets smell the best. I like Zaino Z10, smells great.

What do you mean by used correctly? You say it's not good for severely dirty cars but is that all? What is the "correct" way to use it?
BadCompanyWS6 and ThirdgenTa covered this quite well.

Yes, I use it as clay lube all the time and as my main detail spray because of the awesome lubricity it has. When running water isn't available I will use it. Revolutionary product.

Did this car on the Stanford Campus with ONR since there was no water available.
http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-b...-cayman-s.html

Directions:

Originally Posted by BadCompany VP WS6
Saturate the panel with a sprayer as mentioned above and allow it time to break down the dirt and emulsify everything. (I used a hand pump sprayer similar to the one above) After that, then you take your wash medium and GENTLY run it across the surface. You're not scrubbing or pushing down with any moderate pressure. I usually wring out my wash mitt or MF so it's not just sloppy but still has a good amount of saturation. If it takes a couple of applications, then so be it. Treat it as a traditional wash with grit guards and two buckets.

This is not a traditional wash replacement. But to be used in case you do not have access to water etc.

Both these guys are dead on right. Well said.

Get 2 buckets and 2 grit guards.

Thanks for that! I'll have plenty of microfiber towels. I'm actually excited about doing this...just got this Camaro a month ago, and the last time I got into washing and waxing a car (10 years ago) I used all stuff you could get at the discount auto parts store - and it looked crappy. Just from having read this thread, last week I bought some Chemical Guys products, did a wash and applied the BlackLight sealant and I couldn't believe how nice it came. So now I know there is stuff out there that really works well, isn't terribly difficult to use, and it's fun rather than a thankless chore.
Thats why I made this thread! Keep up the good work!
Old 10-12-2011, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Question for ya-
Any chance something like this can be "fixed" by an experienced detailer?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...de-swiped.html
I wouldn't dare attempt it myself, but since I cant afford paint, I figured I'd see if I have any other options.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Super-Bat
Question for ya-
Any chance something like this can be "fixed" by an experienced detailer?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...de-swiped.html
I wouldn't dare attempt it myself, but since I cant afford paint, I figured I'd see if I have any other options.
Thats gonna be a body shop fix unfortunately.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
Thats gonna be a body shop fix unfortunately.
Was afraid you'd say that.
It was worth a shot. Thanks for the confirmation.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just rattle canned some clear down and how do I sand it out and polish it so it doesn't look all grainy.

Thanks.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

I don't have the time to go through the entire thread right now (at work) but is there a post that recommends the speed to be used with the different pad colors and polishes? Thanks guys

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer