Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Ask a Professional Detailer

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012 | 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
A steamer is GREAT for all those things. Be prepared to pay $600-700 minimum for a good one.
Great! What's the difference between a $600 steamer and a >$100 steamer? How hard it pushes out the steam and amount of steam?
Old 05-10-2012 | 01:06 AM
TECH Junkie

So I didn't go back and red through the entire thread as there are too many responses. But I just picked up a porter cable PC7424 and was wondering what size pads are recommended to be used with it?
Old 05-10-2012 | 01:46 AM
TECH Junkie

For the torque the PC has, 5.5" pads are best.
Old 05-10-2012 | 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Conrad
Great! What's the difference between a $600 steamer and a >$100 steamer? How hard it pushes out the steam and amount of steam?
Not so much that but temperature as well.
Old 05-10-2012 | 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

How long does it take to clay bar a car after you just washed it and the car is still wet , while using quick detailer for added lube ? Also what's your guys thoughts on turtle ice ? Is there any other quick waxes like turtle ice that are better? Before I was using meguires spray wax , but I am looking for something better any ideas ? Looking for a good wax that doesn't require a orbital ..

Also what's the difference of getting products such as mothers and meguires vs no name brands that big detailing suppliers sell? Like I order from a place called flash , they sell to professional detailing company's .. What's the difference ? Please if any one could answer my questions its kind of hard to read through 60+ pages ..
Old 05-10-2012 | 02:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
For the torque the PC has, 5.5" pads are best.
Thanks. I'll be sure to get that size.
Old 05-10-2012 | 03:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by camaroboy14
How long does it take to clay bar a car after you just washed it and the car is still wet , while using quick detailer for added lube ? Also what's your guys thoughts on turtle ice ? Is there any other quick waxes like turtle ice that are better? Before I was using meguires spray wax , but I am looking for something better any ideas ? Looking for a good wax that doesn't require a orbital ..

Also what's the difference of getting products such as mothers and meguires vs no name brands that big detailing suppliers sell? Like I order from a place called flash , they sell to professional detailing company's .. What's the difference ? Please if any one could answer my questions its kind of hard to read through 60+ pages ..
If you can make it through the firs 10 pages (and really probably the first 5) I think you will see that almost everything is covered.
Old 05-10-2012 | 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

That helped, anyways I am on page 9 and took me 1 hour so idk I will keep reading because my questions are not answered ..

Last edited by camaroboy14; 05-10-2012 at 05:27 PM. Reason: A
Old 05-10-2012 | 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That helped, anyways I am on page 9 and took me 1 hour so idk I will keep reading because my questions are not answered ..
Skim through it dude.
Old 05-10-2012 | 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

It's a long read but its worth it. I may have taken notes along the way.
Old 05-10-2012 | 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Guys you can search for parts only included in this thread.. Look at the top right corner where it says "search this thread".
Old 05-11-2012 | 04:51 AM
TECH Regular

Quick question for the OP...

I have a '99 Trans Am, pewter car. I know that I can't get that deep shine in pewter like black and darker colors get, but I would like to have it looking nice. I have previously always used a mothers wax or similar product, as well as a quick detailer in between waxes.

What would you reccomend for a wax? I don't have the necessary gear for a full correction, and dont have the cash to buy everything right now. I just want a few good microfibers, a couple of nice washmits (sheepskin), some good wax, and some good tire shine. Just looking for a few suggestions.

The car is my daily driver and I'm located in rainy Seattle area. I just want a good wax that will sheet water well, also giving me a nice shine.

Thanks in advance, this is an extremely informative thread!

Last edited by redlineracing; 05-11-2012 at 05:03 AM.
Old 05-11-2012 | 06:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just bought my Porter Cable and it came in the mail yesterday, BTW its the cheapest place to buy one free shipping from Home Depot for $119 shipped. Now I have to learn to use it
Old 05-11-2012 | 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 95TAGary
Just bought my Porter Cable and it came in the mail yesterday, BTW its the cheapest place to buy one free shipping from Home Depot for $119 shipped. Now I have to learn to use it
Amazon is cheaper actually. But only by $5.
Old 05-11-2012 | 09:49 AM

I have a scuff on the driver side mirror from a plastic box hitting it while it was parked. The paint is not scratched through. Is it likely to removeable with rubbing compound/finishing compound?
Old 05-11-2012 | 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MXMattGTO
I have a scuff on the driver side mirror from a plastic box hitting it while it was parked. The paint is not scratched through. Is it likely to removeable with rubbing compound/finishing compound?
Yes, it'll come out if it's not in the paint. Use the least aggressive polish first and work your way up until it's removed.
Old 05-11-2012 | 10:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Its been another busy week for me guys. But I should have some time late tonight to answer some questions and reply to the PMs that are stacking up. I have seen them, they aren't forgotten....I'm just pretty busy. Will be back with PMs and questions answered soon.
Old 05-12-2012 | 02:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by blak_ls1
AWESOME THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!! my car just got a fresh black paint job about 3 months ago and i want to stay "fresh" lol.. thanks to this thread i ordered some products(for now buhaha)

1.Meguiars Shampoo Plus
2.Mothers Genuine Lambswool Wash Mitt
3.Cobra Guzzler Waffle Weave Drying Microfibers
4. BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish paint sealant

still need to go pick up grit guards and 2 buckets

my question is; did i order the right stuff?

btw thanks gofast908z!
I'm not a fan of Lambswool mitts, I've found too many that will leave swirls behind. I prefer Microfiber mitts, like the Pinnacle one. Sounds like you're on the right track.

Originally Posted by dabest09
Thanks for the replies man I'm trying to gather all of this information..

You're going to end up costing me a lot of money. I see a LOT of things that I want to purchase.

This thread is very helpful, also autogeek's forum has answers to a lot of questions and go in depth if anyone in this thread wants to check that out over there!

Originally Posted by tmc2k1
A few months ago I stupidly tried to buff out a scratch with rubbing compound. It didn't do much except for make that area of the paint look very dull. It doesn't have the shine of the surrounding areas.

Is it possible to bring the shine back to this area?

Thanks!
Yes. You need to follow the rubbing compound with a polish to bring the brightness back. Try some Meguiars 205 and follow with Menzerna 106FA if desired for more gloss.

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
I'm about to use the clay bar on my car. I know the order is

1. Wash car
2. clay bar the car.

But when do I put the swirlx compound on the car so I can buff out swirl marks and such?

And what's a good scratch/swirl remover to use on the car?
Reading through the thread will answer this question in much more depth, so I will keep it simple. Doing it by hand is a waste of time and will give minimal improvement. Get a PC or the Griots Garage 6" DA, some Lake Country 5.5" pads (orange/white/black), some Meguiars 105/205 or Menzerna SIP/106FA and couple that with quality microfibers to dry it and wipe off the polish.

Originally Posted by 02'Andy
I don't think I've seen this asked yet on here, sorry for a repeat if it has. For f-bodies, what's the best way to try and clean out our vents and ventilation system?

I know there's no cabin air filter and all. I'm having a problem with stink bugs getting into my car and I see them around my vents and dash, so I want to try and clean that out good to keep the pests away.
You could have someone come out and do an OZONE treatment if the smell is bothering your. Other than that, I'm not sure. Don't have that problem out here...

Originally Posted by MTBSully
After I polished my car a few weeks ago I sealed it up with some blackfire wet diamond. Looks really good, but i got to thinking maybe I should have topped that with a wax as well? Is that a waste of time or would it help with the depth of the shine?

On another note, how long do you let BFWD cure for? I let it cure for around 20min but some people say up to two hours?

Try their Midnight Sun wax on top, its called the "Ice over Fire" look. Great look. As for how long to let BFWD cure, at least 30 min. The longer the better. For the best looks, 12-24 hours, and if you're gonna let it cure that long, might as well do a 2nd coat for even more effect.

Originally Posted by Redf02rmula
I gotta quick question. When wet sanding I finish with say a 2000 grit sandpaper can I go directly from the wet sanding and use the 105/205 combo?
You can, but its better to finish with a much finer grit first, like 2500 minimum or 3000.

Originally Posted by Redf02rmula
Well acording to the 105 directions it says it can take 1200 grit or finer out.
Yes, but I wouldn't advise it....you'll be making more work for yourself. Finish with 2500 or 3000 first.

Originally Posted by DoggyB22
Best way on cleaning a car cover? The residue from the wax on my car got underneath it so when I put the cover back on you could just see marks everywhere. Don't know if there's cleaners that have bigger then normal washers to clean that type of thing? Or if I should just hang it from a tree or something & try to hand wash it....
Marks from wax residue? How much wax were you using that that was even possible and what wax? You're not covering the car after driving it are you? Got pics of the marks?

Originally Posted by Conrad
Pressure, consistency of heat, reliability, tight focus of the spray. A $100 steamer is near useless on a car. Fine for dress shirts, but not cars.

Totally depends on the car. I always dry the car first to prevent any chance of waterspots. Turtle Wax Ice is garbage. Optimum Car Wax (spray) is quite good and doesn't get much easier. Optimum Opti-Seal is also a good choice and makes a great combo with OCW. Blackfire Wet Diamond would be the best with looks and durability and is still super easy.

Never heard of flash.... I stick with what works and what comes thru the detail forums with high praise.

Originally Posted by redlineracing
Quick question for the OP...

I have a '99 Trans Am, pewter car. I know that I can't get that deep shine in pewter like black and darker colors get, but I would like to have it looking nice. I have previously always used a mothers wax or similar product, as well as a quick detailer in between waxes.

What would you reccomend for a wax? I don't have the necessary gear for a full correction, and dont have the cash to buy everything right now. I just want a few good microfibers, a couple of nice washmits (sheepskin), some good wax, and some good tire shine. Just looking for a few suggestions.

The car is my daily driver and I'm located in rainy Seattle area. I just want a good wax that will sheet water well, also giving me a nice shine.

Thanks in advance, this is an extremely informative thread!
You absolutely can get a ridiculously deep shine. A full correction WILL yield the best surface to give you the look you want though. I'd ditch the sheepskin washmitts as many of them marr the paint. Switch to a microfiber mitt like the one from Pinnacle. Blackfire Wet Diamond will give a great look and is easy on/off. What I found looks even better on that color is the hard to find Megs #16. I just came across 3 tins of the stuff which I'll be listing up soon as I constantly get people asking where they can get it.

Originally Posted by MXMattGTO
Hard to say without seeing it, but Meguiars 105 and 205 should be able to handle that nicely.
Old 05-12-2012 | 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I see alot of members talking about purchasing a Porter Cable and wanted to pass along a great deal I recently found. It's $94.50 for the Griots Garage polisher which includes a backing plate. Overall, the Griots is a more powerful unit than the PC and has a much more quiet motor. I own both, but if I were able to start over, I would have ordered the Griots.

http://www.bjs.com/webapp/wcs/stores...7&sc_cid=affil

Great deal and a fantastic unit.
Old 05-12-2012 | 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks go fast, hey how exactly do you use that sealant it says40 cars out of 8oz? So how do you apply the sealant on one car? Maybe I read it wrong idk .. Let me know bud thanks so much for answering too

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer