Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Ask a Professional Detailer

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012 | 07:58 PM
On The Tree

Know of a good professional Detailer in north Florida?
Old 04-27-2012 | 06:50 AM
12 Second Club

How often should you PC your car?

I have a black Z and I use pinnacle products. Intermediate swirl removed kit. Used my PC twice on it last year with orange/white pads/red with different compounds. This is my DD during spring/summer. Dont want to over due it, is once a year good? I lock it all in with collinite .

Or is this as many times as I want
Old 04-27-2012 | 07:04 AM
TECH Apprentice
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by DeLaRosa25
How often should you PC your car?

I have a black Z and I use pinnacle products. Intermediate swirl removed kit. Used my PC twice on it last year with orange/white pads/red with different compounds. This is my DD during spring/summer. Dont want to over due it, is once a year good? I lock it all in with collinite .

Or is this as many times as I want
This is a question that is asked a lot by people who are guilty of improper paint care. You should fix your paint ONCE, and then properly maintain it from that point forward. If you are caring for your paint properly, the only polish you should need after completely fixing your paint is the lightest polish that your choice of manufacturer makes. That should be the product used on the white pad for most manufacturers. If you are constantly having to go back to the orange pad and a heavier polish, then you are totally touching your paint wrong; be it the way you wash the car or whatever else you are doing when you touch your paint.

Removing paint damage requires the removal of clear coat. Ideally, you want to keep as much clear coat on the car as possible so if touching it up is done with a very light polish, polisher and pad, then you are going to extend the life of your clear coat a lot further. Thus, completely fix your paint ONCE, and then properly maintain it from that point forward. I address a lot of improper paint maintenance in my many videos.
Old 04-27-2012 | 10:09 AM
12 Second Club

Ok thanks for your help. Will do that for now on.
Old 04-27-2012 | 10:14 AM
12 Second Club

This is the exact kit that I have and followed the video

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GZVDsiEQ8-w

Locked everything in with collinite 845? I think it is

What polish for a black car would you suggest. Now I havnt done anything but wash the car this year. Should I just apply the polish and be done? Still fairly new to all of this
Old 04-27-2012 | 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just ordered some Brown Royal to clean up my stock wheels I took off of my car for sale.
Old 04-28-2012 | 01:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DeLaRosa25

What polish for a black car would you suggest. Now I havnt done anything but wash the car this year. Should I just apply the polish and be done? Still fairly new to all of this
this is the polish that i use and have for a while. great product, great result, reasonably priced, easy to use, smells amazing...
Old 04-28-2012 | 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigB02Z28
Looks like some backyard bondo work there! Has the car been in an accident?
Yes a minor one but it was painted before the accident and after and always had the waves to the doors only. Thanks for the input.
I'm thinking of selling her for a Vette and wanted it looking it's best for potential buyers.
Old 04-28-2012 | 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Two questions...

1- What do you think of the new LC hybrid pads? I hear they finish down nicer than regular LC flat pads but they are not quite as durable. AG currently has them on buy one get one, and while I'm pretty well stocked up on pads, I'm wondering if I should pass this deal up. What do you guys think?

2 - Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion. I've heard that it's practically a "must" for white vehicles. Is there any truth to that? Two of my vehicles have the same paint, arctic white, and both are in need/in progress of paint corrections. Should I order and apply some PPCL after compounding/polishing out the swirls and before applying sealant+carnuba paste wax? Discuss!
Old 04-28-2012 | 02:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ynkssws6
Gofast,

What are your thoughts on the combo of Meguiar's ultimate compound with Mequiar's Swirl X. For some of us it's available at local stores so it's easy to pick up. Thanks again, man!
They are both good products and get the job done, but 105 will outdo them easily. Though I keep both as handy backups in case I were to run out on site.

Originally Posted by djfury05
For the PC7424xp on Autogeek.. is the HD upgrade really necessary or a smart idea for the extra $30. Says its a hardwired 25ft cord and is more efficient etc. I'm sure this has been answered in this thread before but I searched a few key words and nothing showed up.
Its a nice upgrade, but you can do the same cord change yourself for under $10.

Originally Posted by Q3131A
How fast can paint get swirls?

I went to pick my white Camaro up from the body shop today. Didn't bring it home because there was too much wrong. They replaced a fender and door.

As I looked at the fender at an angle in the bright sun, it had more swirls than the 12 year old original had. Like exploding circles that follow the light as you move your eye down the panel. Spider webs.

Brand new panel that was supposedly painted yesterday. How can this be? Is this damage they just did or could they be trying to pawn off a used fender?
Paint can get swirls as fast as you put them in. They never magically appear. Example....new client of mine has a 5 year old X5 thats been neglected and is lacking a lot of gloss, but by the lack of severe swirls/RIDS I can draw the conclusion the car was never washed much. Someone who doesn't wash the car often isn't going to have the best washing methods and is sure to induce swirls in the process, so for him it works out pretty good as the new owner looking to get the car detailed.

That body shop (like most) don't know how to buff paint properly. What you're seeing is buffer trails and holograms from a heavy cut wool pad on a rotary, in the hands of someone lacking the proper skill to do the job. It needs to be corrected properly by a professional detailer.

Originally Posted by mprete
i tried reading as much as I could but didnt see this. what about lightly scratched windows. my windshield has swirl marks in it. across the whole thing and at night with headlights in it you can hardly see out of it. is it junk or can i polish most of it out? looks like dust constantly wiped off with a dry paper towel. you cant feel any of the scratches, you can only see them.
Lake Country makes a very good glass polishing kit, but its not an easy thing to do. Because the cost of new glass is so low, and glass polishing is so time consuming, generally it makes more sense to just replace it.

Originally Posted by kyoytey1693
Hey Jeff, this is a great resource you started. I have only made it through the first 15 pages so far but I have learned a ton and plan on buying my first real detail kit soon.

My buddy and I are planning to use my 96 T/A as kind of the practice vehicle and then his white Dakota before we move on to our nicer vehicles. I remember reading something you posted in another thread about some stuff to spray on a white vehicle that turns purple. It was to help get rid of the orange specs that build up on the paint.

I dont remember all of the details on that process and I cant seem to find the thread. I imagine it has been covered somewhere in this one but I have found it yet. Can you point me in the right directive and give some advice?
Thank you! Glad its been such a help to you. The product you're referring to is CarPro's Iron X. It starts to interact with the rusted iron particles and starts to turn purple. It opens the pores in the clear and allows the clay to remove the particle much easier. Follow the directions to the letter. Oh and the stuff smells awful.

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
Awesome, thank you. I figure the polish is probably pretty well broken down by then, right? I'm just looking to amp up the gloss a notch - just like everyone else. I've been having some fantastic luck with the DA correction system, whenever my LC orange and M105 wont cut it, it's the combo I go to. Actually had to purchase a shelving system because my AutoGeek orders are starting to take over my garage storage.....

Yes, though you can keep working it for a long time to amp the gloss even further.
Old 04-28-2012 | 04:45 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm about to order the Leatherique Pristine Clean 16Oz. Cant really find any quality terry towels to apply it with. Anything you can think of? When I'm done "cooking" the leather, just wipe with a clean mf towel? Also, I know you mentioned leather care should be a two step process, separate cleaning and conditioning steps. Does this apply with my coated leather seats? Should I follow up the leatherique with a conditioning step?
I apply it with a foam applicator and when done I use a clean MF towell. Since the leather is coated, no conditioning step is needed after cleaning.

Originally Posted by 2QuikTA
what's the best way to tell when products have flashed on a white car?
Different products flash differently. Which products are you referring to?

Originally Posted by Guitar
Just ordered some waffle weave towels, wash mitts, microfiber kit, 2 grit guards, hose connects, and wash from Autogeek to re-"start" my collection. Gonna piece it together as I go. Hope to have all for a good detail in a few months!
Very nice

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
GoFast,

I just saw the Bentley thread. Awesome work man as usual.

How long do work an area before you decide to go with something more aggressive? I know that part of it is experience but what about the rest of us? LOL.

Lets say you are working an area w/ a white pad and 205. How many times would you have to go over it to make you want to go w/ an orange pad and 105? Also how bad does it have to be to make you break out the rotary or a Surbuf pad?

Thanks!
Thank you! Its different for every car. Its not so much how bad the car is but how hard the clear is... With that combo, (white/205) it wouldn't take long to see if its cutting enough. Under a minute to be sure. To jump up to a Surbuf pad, the defects need to be pretty resistant to the orange pad with 105 and a MF cutting disc as well. Surbuf is an extreme, so it should be treated as such, same as with a rotary/wool.

Bump for GoFast908Z. Think you missed my answer.

Some Meguiars Degreaser should handle that just fine. Looks like its on the rubber door armrest/pull right?

I couldn't get good pictures with my phone on a white car. It's holograms like you say.

I have a Porter Cable 7424XP and Lake Country pads(Yellow, Orange, Red, and White). Would this be the proper detailing equipment you speak of?

At the time I have Megs Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish(pre-waxing glaze).

I picked the car up last night. How soon can I work on it?
The yellow pad isn't very good. I'd stick to the orange, white, and black pads. You can correct the paint right now, but wait to wax it for 30-90 days according to the painter.

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
FWIW, I tried the Kevin Brown Method "KBM" for the orange pad and the M105 and what a huge difference it made. It worked for me anyway. The 105 didn't dust. The working time and results where much better.

Originally Posted by Guitar
Damn, this detailing **** is getting expensive. Keep seeing things "oh that looks nice"..."I should get that"..lol. Damn this thread!
Think of it this way, you're stimulating the economy.

The LT1 engine is quite dirty. I'll probably scrub it with a long handled brush and some Megs APC. I'm more wondering how I should attack the underside of the hood and inner engine bay which is pretty dirty. I don't want to use anything with too much water because these optispark are notorious for failure when they come in contact with water. I'll try and grab some photos soon for you.

As far as the leatherique treatment is concerned, Jeff mentioned that since my leather seats are "coated" that one part of the leatherique treatment would be pointless. Therefore, I ordered only the leatherique pristine clean 32oz cleaner only. Not really sure how to apply it, so I'm hoping he will see this and get back to me. The leather in my 96 formula is limited edition red/black leather that still looks fantastic, but could surely use a nice leather treatment. I'm unsure if I should clean it with leatherique then condition it with ....???....

I'll try and get some pics up tonight after work.
I will not do LT1 engines because of the Opti-Spark. Too much risk. Spot clean it with brushes and good spray bottles, work in small areas and don't get anywhere near the Opti-Spark.

Just clean the leather, no need to condition it as GM uses coated leather in F-bodies, as in almost all its cars.

Originally Posted by Conrad
Has anyone used Meguiars #85?
Yes. Not a fan. Doesn't cut as much as 105 and it marrs up more. Old school compound. When 105 came out it made both 85 and 95 obsolete.

Originally Posted by dabest09
Two questions...

1) Since my '02 WS6 has coated leather, is it recommended to use 303 Aerospace on it? I used it today after I cleaned the seats with meg's apc and they turned out pretty good.

2) The previous owner did not take very good care of the paint on my white ws6. There are a lot of rock chips in weird places like the spoiler and along the side of the car like the doors. They are easily seen since it's a white car and the chips are black. What would you recommend to fill these in? I was thinking of getting those little 2-in-1 paint repair things like you find at auto parts stores. I saw the GM arctic white one today which is what I would need. Is this a bad idea?
You can use the 303 on it, though I don't think its really going to be of much benefit.

The factory touch up paint is a good quick fix when used properly. People constantly over use the paint. Use just enough to fill it, and NO more. Come back in an hour and apply again. The paint shrinks, so don't try too fill in too much at once.

Originally Posted by dabest09
Also, what kind of applicator do you use to apply waxes and sealants by hand?
I like the Lake Country gold and red hand pads, and also the Kompressor pads of the same color with the DA.
Old 04-28-2012 | 08:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SS LeadFoot
I have the center mount exhaust tips and they always get black and dirty real quick. they also fad and don't have the shine to them anymore. What are your ideas on how to keep them clean and bright as new? Is there a polish I should use? Here is a pic of what they look like now.
They are a coarse cast metal and difficult to clean. A stiff bristled brush and some Chemical Guys Metal Shine is a good start. Those tips are not the easiest to clean.

Originally Posted by 1964_442
New to this thread very nice one

Whats the best wax to use on my silver camaro ( sebring silver) i mean synth wax? Carnauba? Etc ... Silver is very weird cause cant get that deep look

Thanks in advance
P21S 100% looks really good on silver. Blackfire Wet Diamond is also a really good one.

Originally Posted by NeedaV8foundation
can anyone recommend a "cheaper" random orbital? i had one for several years and they stopped making pads for it. I dont need a super nice one but i'd like something economical since im doing this just on my own vehicles.
Like Junkman said, the PC is the entry level buffer and anything less is a waste of time and money.

Junkman/Gofast, do you have any tips on using Opti-coat as a beginner, besides the given instructions? It's going to be applied to the car's paint.
Do a small section at a time. The the temp/humidity in CA I wipe the panel with a MF after just a minute or so. Follow instructions to the letter.

Originally Posted by SS LeadFoot
I have years of burnt rubber in my rear wells how do I clean it off and then make the wheel wells glossy black again?
Stoners Tarminator will help a lot, and so will Chemical Guys Bug Bugger and Tar Remover. Make sure to wear gloves when doing it. Once clean, wipe it down with some water/alcohol mix then dress it with your favorite plastic dressing.

Can the opti-coat be used on fresh paint after a few days of curing in the sun?
No. Give it a full 90 days.

Let me put it this way- does the paint need to be cured before applying it?
Yes. This is not like a wax or sealant....this is a serious coating. If you do it before the paint is fully cured, you're likely to have major issues in the paint in the near future. Let it cure.

Originally Posted by ast95035
i didnt get any directions with the foam gun, is mcguires gold class an okay shampoo? ive heard that griots garage shampoo works well with the foam gun
Dawn (for the start of a detail...not normal washing) is great and foams amazingly. Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss is good too and they have a CG Snow Foam too "Honeydew" I think.
Old 04-28-2012 | 10:45 PM
On The Tree

AWESOME THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!! my car just got a fresh black paint job about 3 months ago and i want to stay "fresh" lol.. thanks to this thread i ordered some products(for now buhaha)

1.Meguiars Shampoo Plus
2.Mothers Genuine Lambswool Wash Mitt
3.Cobra Guzzler Waffle Weave Drying Microfibers
4. BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish paint sealant

still need to go pick up grit guards and 2 buckets

my question is; did i order the right stuff?

btw thanks gofast908z!
Old 04-29-2012 | 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the replies man I'm trying to gather all of this information..

You're going to end up costing me a lot of money. I see a LOT of things that I want to purchase.

This thread is very helpful, also autogeek's forum has answers to a lot of questions and go in depth if anyone in this thread wants to check that out over there!
Old 04-30-2012 | 05:15 PM
TECH Resident

A few months ago I stupidly tried to buff out a scratch with rubbing compound. It didn't do much except for make that area of the paint look very dull. It doesn't have the shine of the surrounding areas.

Is it possible to bring the shine back to this area?

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2012 | 11:03 PM
Banned

I'm about to use the clay bar on my car. I know the order is

1. Wash car
2. clay bar the car.

But when do I put the swirlx compound on the car so I can buff out swirl marks and such?

And what's a good scratch/swirl remover to use on the car?
Old 04-30-2012 | 11:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tmc2k1
A few months ago I stupidly tried to buff out a scratch with rubbing compound. It didn't do much except for make that area of the paint look very dull. It doesn't have the shine of the surrounding areas.

Is it possible to bring the shine back to this area?

Thanks!
after you compound an area/car you need to follow up with a polish. it will remove the fine scratches (dullness) that the compound put in the paint.

what kind of compound did you use?
Old 05-02-2012 | 03:58 AM
11 Second Club

I don't think I've seen this asked yet on here, sorry for a repeat if it has. For f-bodies, what's the best way to try and clean out our vents and ventilation system?

I know there's no cabin air filter and all. I'm having a problem with stink bugs getting into my car and I see them around my vents and dash, so I want to try and clean that out good to keep the pests away.
Old 05-02-2012 | 07:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
I'm about to use the clay bar on my car. I know the order is

1. Wash car
2. clay bar the car.

But when do I put the swirlx compound on the car so I can buff out swirl marks and such?

And what's a good scratch/swirl remover to use on the car?
M105/m205. After clay you do this.
Old 05-03-2012 | 12:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JUSTINSWS6
M105/m205. After clay you do this.
what he said!

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer