Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Ask a Professional Detailer

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 02:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trendkiller Z
Thought of another one...........

Do you have any set time-frame in which you replace your pads, wash mits, rags etc or do you go by look and feel?
Because the variables for all cars are different, you can't maintain a set time-frame. I always go by look and feel.

Originally Posted by 00 Freak
I am pretty new at detailing and my question is have you seen any kits that an array of products that would cover all bases for newbies like me wanting to up keep their cars better. IMO i think my car's paint look great for 11yrs old but still needs a lot of work and i want it to keep the original paint. Also what are some tips would you suggest to newbies on using the Porter cable?
Autogeek has several Porter Cable starter kits that will get you everything you need to start. They also have other kits with a vast array of things so just do some looking around and you'll find lots of stuff. As for tips on the PC, the best and quickest would be to watch Junkman's videos on youtube on how to use the PC.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome thread. . . . My detailing skills still need a "bit" of work.

Headlight restoration: What is a tried and true way?

I done a good wet sand with the usual high grits and polishing compound, but they still turn to crap quite quickly in the AZ sun.

I have another car that had a true pro detail before we got it. It seems to have a clear coat of some sort on the head lights. It's been in the sun way more then my car and they still look way solid and not hazy one bit.

I found some good "looking" stuff (SprayMax aerosol).

But, I don't want to just test stuff on my near mint z.

Thanks in advance. . . . .

Last edited by samson_420; 08-28-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by samson_420
Awesome thread. . . . My detailing skills still need a "bit" of work.

Headlight restoration: What is a tried and true way?

I done a good wet sand with the usual high grits and polishing compound, but they still turn to crap quite quickly in the AZ sun.

I have another car that had a true pro detail before we got it. It seems to have a clear coat of some sort on the head lights. It's been in the sun way more then my car and they still look way solid and not hazy one bit.

I found some good "looking" stuff (SprayMax aerosol).

But, I don't want to just test stuff on my near mint z.
By correcting headlights, you're removing their protective UV coating. If you don't replace it, it will oxidize again. Opti-Coat, Cquartz, and GTechnique all can accomplish this.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

When you wetsand your headlights you remove the uv protector/coating so they haze faster. Most clear them after or add some type of protectant sealer

Jeff you're the man for starting this thread
Old 08-28-2011, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
By correcting headlights, you're removing their protective UV coating. If you don't replace it, it will oxidize again. Opti-Coat, Cquartz, and GTechnique all can accomplish this.

Cool, just what I figured.

Any retail places sell any of these?

If not, which online place has em'?
Old 08-28-2011, 03:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
When you wetsand your headlights you remove the uv protector/coating so they haze faster. Most clear them after or add some type of protectant sealer

Jeff you're the man for starting this thread

Thanks Ryan! Just want to help out my community! I really do love this stuff!

Cool, just what I figured.

Any retail places sell any of these?

If not, which online place has em'?
Retail, no. In fact Opti-Coat isn't available to the general public, but you can get Opti-Coat 2.0 online as well as the other two.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

Holly bejesus that is expensive. . . .

Crap, no other suggestions?

I can get new cheapo lights for that.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cleaning the barrel of the wheel I was referring to the speedlines on my ws6. I believe it's bare aluminum? And the outer part is clear coated. I tried megs mag and aluminum polish but that really didn't do much. I need a more agressive approach.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Holly bejesus that is expensive. . . .

Crap, no other suggestions?

I can get new cheapo lights for that.
Think about the other applications you could use it for....the stuff is awesome and honestly IMO, should be MUCH more expensive. Its worth the cost.

Cheapo lights almost never line up even, so if you want cross-eyed headlight beams, go for it.

You could have a bodyshop re-clear them, or you could get some spray on clear and do it yourself for cheap.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dabest09
Cleaning the barrel of the wheel I was referring to the speedlines on my ws6. I believe it's bare aluminum? And the outer part is clear coated. I tried megs mag and aluminum polish but that really didn't do much. I need a more agressive approach.
I think the whole wheel is coated, however, to find out for sure, try a wheel polish on the inside in an inconspicuous small spot. Needs to be free of dirt first. But rub some wheel polish on it, and if the polish turns black, they are not coated. If it stays clear, they are coated.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

Think about the other applications you could use it for....the stuff is awesome and honestly IMO, should be MUCH more expensive. Its worth the cost.

Cheapo lights almost never line up even, so if you want cross-eyed headlight beams, go for it.

You could have a bodyshop re-clear them, or you could get some spray on clear and do it yourself for cheap.

So, does it appear like a clear coat?

Is it thin? Seems like a rock hard clear coat.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think the whole wheel is coated, however, to find out for sure, try a wheel polish on the inside in an inconspicuous small spot. Needs to be free of dirt first. But rub some wheel polish on it, and if the polish turns black, they are not coated. If it stays clear, they are coated.
It was coming off black
Old 08-28-2011, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Like so many others have said, great thread and thank you for doing this!

Last question I had was, what is your opinion on using no rinse or waterless wash products like Optimum No Rinse or Ultima Waterless Wash?

Is this a good substitute or bad idea? I'm talking about a clean car that has light dust build-up after a day of driving.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bramlok

Last question I had was, what is your opinion on using no rinse or waterless wash products like Optimum No Rinse or Ultima Waterless Wash?

Is this a good substitute or bad idea? I'm talking about a clean car that has light dust build-up after a day of driving.
I like it. thats how I was my car 99% of the time. just make sure to run a california car duster right before if its really dusty. and if its really dirty just rinse it with the hose.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Junkie

So, does it appear like a clear coat?

Is it thin? Seems like a rock hard clear coat.
Yes it lays on extremely thin.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dabest09
It was coming off black
Ok, then it is uncoated polished aluminum. Use Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish to restore them. Lightly use some #0000 steel wool if its really bad.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Bramlok

ONR is a GREAT product when used correctly. Its not designed for severely dirty cars, but for what you described it will work fine. Never used the Ultima stuff, but there is a reason that ONR is a staple in every REAL pro's arsenal.

Glad I can help you guys out
Old 08-28-2011, 11:51 PM
Staging Lane

By the time they start looking dry, they are usually more sun-bleached than just dried out, so getting shine back to them is something you have to keep up on frequently.

I would suggest any trim shine product that doesn't contain silicone. Silicone will give a false shine, as its the silicone that does the shine and it doesn't soak in to the plastic, so it goes away fast. It also will dry the plastic out more (though there is debate on that subject).

Black WOW is a good one, and also 303 Aerospace protectant, as they both contain UV blockers which will help the trim look good longer. You can also use Zaino Z16, diluted to a low shine or a full strength. Meguiars Professional Water-Based Dressing works nicely too, but doesn't last quite as long.

I would advise against dressing running boards or rear steps on tailgates as they can be slick and you don't want a family member (especially a child) or friend to slip and fall and hurt themselves.
Have you tried Ultima Trim and Tire Guard Plus? I read great reviews on it and I decided to try it myself. I always use my car as a guinea pig and I Put it on all my trim and my faded wiper cowl. Restored it like new. THat was over 6 months ago and it looks the same. I use it on customers cars all of the time and it always turns the faded trim back to black.
It's a little pricey, but a little goes a long way, lasts long and is by far one of the best products I ever used.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ThirdgenTa
Have you tried Ultima Trim and Tire Guard Plus? I read great reviews on it and I decided to try it myself. I always use my car as a guinea pig and I Put it on all my trim and my faded wiper cowl. Restored it like new. THat was over 6 months ago and it looks the same. I use it on customers cars all of the time and it always turns the faded trim back to black.
It's a little pricey, but a little goes a long way, lasts long and is by far one of the best products I ever used.
I've heard its good, but I will not buy Ultima products as their past (and present) advertising in certain places has displayed very poor business ethics.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

FWIW, I have used the "Back To Black" product from Bondo and it works quite well. Its kind of a tint for black plastics. Works better in textured plastics and rubber, not that well over smooth plastics.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer