Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Ask a Professional Detailer

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 07:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GoFast, not only have you inspired me to tackle my TR Z06 with a full correction, but you have encouraged me to start detailing cars on the side .
I used Detail cars for a living approx 18 yrs ago, I have started catching up with the current process and products.
Thank you!

Last edited by redsscamaroboy; 03-03-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redsscamaroboy
GoFast, not only have you inspired me to tackle my TR Z06 with a full correction, but I you have encouraged me to start detailing cars on the side .
I used Detail cars for a living approx 18 yrs ago, I have started catching up with the current process and products.
Thank you!
*Clicks the imaginary "Like" button*
Old 03-02-2012, 09:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by J8127
One more question, when you are polishing with say a PC, do you have to do anything special in areas like a WS6 hood? How do you polish the sides of the nostrils? Or does it just work and not something you have to take special care of?
Originally Posted by Junkman2008
The PC tends to bog down over areas like that if your technique is flawed. What I would do if I was using a PC is use a 4" pad and accompanying back plate. That makes areas like that very easy to do with the PC. This problem is not present with the Flex or Rotary machine, just the PC. At the same time, that's what makes the PC so safe and the Flex a little more dangerous. A rotary would be a LOT more dangerous.
Junkman covered this well. Just switch to 4" pads and slow the speed 4-5 and you'll be golden.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
Junkman covered this well. Just switch to 4" pads and slow the speed 4-5 and you'll be golden.
Thank you sir. We share a lot of similar opinions when it comes to this stuff. I would definitely defer to you on quite a few things as you are actually in the business and I'm just in it for the fun.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:46 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Junkman2008
First, and I don't mean to sound like an *** here but if you have to ask whether or not wet sanding is needed, that is something that you should definitely not be thinking about doing. One problem that would be evident with wet sanding is that the clear UNDER the moldings is going to be a lot thinner than the clear that was painted aftermarket. Thus, if you start wet sanding where the molding was, you could quickly end up striking through the clear and right into the paint. That equals new paint job.

Now as for my professional opinion, let a professional fix it. The only possible outcome that you could hope for is just making it look less noticeable. If you want it to look correct, allow professional intervention.
Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
Actually I don't think this one has been asked in ALL the pages I have spent time ANSWERING every question asked of me........................

I am willing to bet that is not dirt or residue but a ridge of clear coat. It needs to be professionally sanded down and buffed out, but likely would need repainting for the same reasons Junkman pointed out.

Thank you both for your opinions.

I don't mind trying to wet sand it myself (everyone starts somewhere, correct?) as I figure I couldn't screw it up any worse -- that's why body shops exist, anyway (since it's going to end up there, after all). I'll work on it a bit more with the clay to make it less noticeable and take it in for paint in the fall.

I also thought I'd mention that after working on all the other panels on the car with my Meguiar's stuff (compound, polish, wax), it's still not as perfect as I'd like. However, I'm tired of looking at it rather than pounding the guts out of it. I suppose I'll be plunking down the money for a professional to clean it up
Old 03-03-2012, 10:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Thank you both for your opinions.

I don't mind trying to wet sand it myself (everyone starts somewhere, correct?) as I figure I couldn't screw it up any worse -- that's why body shops exist, anyway (since it's going to end up there, after all). I'll work on it a bit more with the clay to make it less noticeable and take it in for paint in the fall.

I also thought I'd mention that after working on all the other panels on the car with my Meguiar's stuff (compound, polish, wax), it's still not as perfect as I'd like. However, I'm tired of looking at it rather than pounding the guts out of it. I suppose I'll be plunking down the money for a professional to clean it up
Do yourself a favor and go on Autopia and post in the regional section to find a detailer that will do a good job. Demand to see full writeups of their work before dropping hundreds $.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great thread
Old 03-04-2012, 11:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Quick question, I was just about to place a fairly big order and the last item, most important for me was backordered... http://www.autogeek.net/pinmicmit.html

Any quality alternatives on autogeek that I can replace this with? Thanks in advance..
Old 03-04-2012, 12:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by mac62989
Quick question, I was just about to place a fairly big order and the last item, most important for me was backordered... http://www.autogeek.net/pinmicmit.html

Any quality alternatives on autogeek that I can replace this with? Thanks in advance..
http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-mic...wash-mitt.html
Old 03-04-2012, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure if we have gone over this but do you have a favorite all in one?
Old 03-04-2012, 01:47 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gofast got the mod bug for the Z yet
Old 03-04-2012, 01:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks Gofast! Order submitted..
Old 03-04-2012, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

How do you keep a bright white looking nice? Someone recently told me my white car will slowly get yellow-ish from contamination if not properly maintained.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLK95-Z
How do you keep a bright white looking nice? Someone recently told me a white car will slowly get yellow-ish from contamination if not properly maintained.
I would say, washing it regularly and keeping it protected with a sealant and/or wax.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by CamaroSS27
Not sure if we have gone over this but do you have a favorite all in one?
I don't really do those anymore...so busy with full corrections as it is. Zaino AIO is good and I think Blackfire just came out with one too, but I haven't tried it.

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
gofast got the mod bug for the Z yet
I did, but I killed the bug....in favor of cash in the bank for a C6Z down the road....

Originally Posted by mac62989
Thanks Gofast! Order submitted..
You're welcome
Old 03-05-2012, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

How do you keep a bright white looking nice? Someone recently told me my white car will slowly get yellow-ish from contamination if not properly maintained.

I detailed a white car that had a yellowish tint to it. After i did paint correction it went away. I think it must just be on the very top part of the clear. If you would just use m205 by hand or orbital it will come out.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JUSTINSWS6
I detailed a white car that had a yellowish tint to it. After i did paint correction it went away. I think it must just be on the very top part of the clear. If you would just use m205 by hand or orbital it will come out.
i would guess this is where the ironx would come in handy.. removing the iron deposits from the surface and pores.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I also have white fbody. Artic White WS6. My plans are a full correction.

Dawn Wash w/ Foam Gun (I'll let it dwell a few minutes)
After it drys - Iron X application
Time to clay the car
Iron X it again
Take her out in the sun and evaluate my pad/product combo
Test spot! Likely M105 and LC orange flat pad
Then M205 with LC white flat pad
Then evaluate the surface, see if I'm happy with it.
If I am happy with it, time for some Menzerna PO85RD
After that my sealant is undecided as of right now

Hoping to achieve 90+% correction and high gloss.IIRC, all the materials I'll use have been suggested by GoFast
Old 03-05-2012, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks guys. Mine is also Arctic white, first white car Ive owned. I love it
Old 03-06-2012, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I see that there are two types of LC pads- the flat and the CCS ones. Is there a difference enough to justify the ccs ones with the grooves?

*edit* You'd previously mentioned to me to purchase the 5.5 inch LC pads- my question is: for the PC or my Makita Rotary?

Last edited by Striker; 03-06-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer