Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Ask a Professional Detailer

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012 | 11:50 PM
TECH Apprentice
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Q3131A
I have a spot of black 5th wheel grease on my light tan armrest/door pull. It's been there a couple years. I've been scared to touch it in fear of smearing it around.

What product and method should I use to get it out?
After a couple of years, I don't think it will come out. I'll be interested to hear if it does. You can't allow a stain like that to set and after a couple of years, that puppy is good and set. But hey, there may be something out there that I don't know about. The problem you are going to have is finding something that won't fade the leather.
Old 04-02-2012 | 12:54 AM
On The Tree

i dont have a pc and i was wondering if i could apply polish with a random orbiter with a micro fiber bonnet. or if thats a no go??
Old 04-02-2012 | 02:52 AM
TECH Apprentice
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by olskoolLT1
i dont have a pc and i was wondering if i could apply polish with a random orbiter with a micro fiber bonnet. or if thats a no go??
If you are trying to remove paint damage, you would be more effective just staring at the swirls than using that thing. It is only good for one thing and that's spreading wax (although I would never put those crappy Chinese made bonnets on my paint). If you're trying to remove paint damage, you need the proper tools and polishes.

Give that thing you have to someone who needs a door stop. That's about all it's worth. This has been talked about earlier in this thread.
Old 04-02-2012 | 04:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Conrad
Jeff, what's the ideal starting grit for wetsanding clear on paint? Not that I'm going to do it, I'd just like to know. I'm afraid if I attempted it on my hood and front bumper I'll go through the clear. Those are really the only parts that could use new paint.

Looking forward to upcoming correction threads.

1500 is the most aggressive I use and is a starting point if the defects are VERY deep.

Thanks! Got lots of cool stuff coming.

Originally Posted by dabest09
I started with 1000 and it wasn't taking the bird off so I went with 600, is that bad? The only grits I had at the time were up to 2000, and the bottle of m105 said it removes 1200 grit and finer scratches, so I stopped at 1500. Should I go back over it with some higher grits? And do you think I should go ahead and wetsand the tail lights too when I pc them? Idk how I will sand the weird curvature of the reverse lights..

The bird will come off with 1500, you just have to be patient. I always finish with 3000 grit. Makes the deep sanding marks much easier to remove. Yes it can take 1200 grit out, but its more effort than if you sand to a finer grit first. If you're happy with them I wouldn't worry about doing them again.

I wouldn't bother with sanding the reverse lights. If you can't correct the the tail lights with the machine, then go ahead and sand them.

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
How much product do you use on pad? Pea size amounts or a big X?
I typically use a few pea sized dots.

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
Gotcha, thanks for pointing that out. I'll stick with speed 4 at the highest. There is literally 1 scratch in my test spot that is freaking pissing me off. The rest of the test spot looks fantastic. The scratch is definitely in the clear coat, not the paint. I'm thinking a surbuf and M105 worked properly would eliminate all of the defects in my clear. Maybe I'll just use the surbuf on the scratches that the 105/orange pad wont get corrected. Should I work the surbuf and 105 with moderate pressure like I do with the LC flat and 105?

Cant wait for those write ups. That Bentley looked like it ran through a gas station car wash from hell...multiple times. Cant wait to see finished product
I'd use minimal pressure and even try speed 3 at first, its a very aggressive combo.

Thanks! I finished the Bentley pics, so now I just need to build the writeup. Its gonna go up hopefully tomorrow.

Originally Posted by ynkssws6
What's a trick to get dried off wax of plastic trim pieces? Thanks!
A good solvent like Stoners Tarminator does a good job. Just clean it off afterwards with some ONR or light APC. Gloves would be a good idea while doing it too.

Originally Posted by MTBSully
might be a silly question but whatever.

Ive been watching some videos and most say to work in smaller (>2 sq ft) sections while you work in polish and sealant etc. So my question is two-fold

1. Do you do polish the whole car and then seal the whole car? or do you polish and seal section one, polish and seal section two etc)

2. Other than taping off trim, mouldings etc, do you tape off EVERY 2sq ft section on the vehicle or do you eyeball it in most areas? Pictures might help if you have any. Thanks bud
1. I complete the polishing on the whole vehicle before sealing it.

2. I only tape off trim and sharp edges. Anything more would be a waste of tape. You can use body lines to help guide your sections.
Old 04-02-2012 | 05:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Dear Professional Detailer:

Am I wasting time by putting multiple coats of wax on my car?

I waxed a week or so ago, but I just waxed it again this morning. The car hasn't seen water/rain -- only quick detailer for wipe-downs after driving. Was it a useless waste of time and wax? Meguiars Ultimate paste wax, fwiw.
Waxing every week is too often and will mute the color of your paint. But a couple coats is fine. I have 2 coats of Swissvax Concorso on my Z06.

However wiping the car after driving is a good way to get swirls, I wouldn't recommend continuing it.

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
Hey Jeff, quick question!

How do you deal with the dusting of M105? After I get half way around a car, the pad is dusting everywhere over my work area. Do you have extra pads that you switch between during this step? Menzerna SIP spreads like butter, and I never really have a problem with that.

Thanks man!
I almost always add a drop of Megs D300 to the 105. It makes it smoother and cuts down the dust. I also change pads frequently, having 4-6 pads as backups.

White Camaro SS. Has silver chain link fence paint overspray from 5 years ago.

How would you tackle this?
Clay it first then polish it with the PC or Griots 6" DA.

Originally Posted by LT4vert
I have a question about leather. Most of the leather in cars that I work on is already in like new or great shape. z10 has handled anything ive worked on with no problems. I have a set of leather seats now that I really dont know if its worth my time to correct. The leather "looks" very good, no cracking and really no wrinkles to speak of, to look at them , youd swear they were almost new. But, the problem, is over the years, the top surfaces that are real leather...cheap gm leather mind you (2000 grand am GT) have become very rigid and not soft. I know, from referencing other grand ams, the leather was soft and pliable in the cars I looked at, so Im not sure what happened in this car, other than the seats at one point got so dried out and sun damaged, my typical z10 process is not enough to restore the surface feel and restore the softness. Question, is a product like the leathertique oil and cleaner process able to fix a problem like this ~or do you think this problem is not correctable? Ive used leathertique before, but the what Ive used it on, the seats have never been dried out like this, so I have nothing to reference off of. I would just buy it, but I dont want it to be a waste as its really quite rare I get a car that needs the more intensive leather treatment offered by the leathertique.
Leatherique and Z10 will not fix this. The leather is a coated leather that conditioners can not penetrate. Other than the dash/door panels on 4LT Corvettes and 3LZ Z06's and 3ZR ZR1's have real uncoated leather as I understand it. However the rest of the leather is coated and conditioners can not ever reach the leather.

Originally Posted by My LS-won
So do you use all the compounds on one job, also what do you do between compounds, you mentioned isopropl alcohol and distilled water.

Same with the sealants do you use all on one job or is that your fav to less fav.

I have a black car some how it got white over spray, will m105 take it off or do i need to claybar the car.

Im looking for the step and procedures you would use on my car.. i realize you cant see my car and evaluate my pain, maybe i should have had you diagnose it when we were at the Able Chevy. At that time i planned on having you do it but i see your booked 2 months out. FML. Thanks Jeff and i did go through 90% of this thread.
I use whatever the car needs. I have way too many products to use them all on one car. As for IPA wipedowns, depends on how much carrier oils are in each product.

Blackfire Wet Diamond is my favorite, followed closely by Menzerna Powerlock and Megs D301.

Always clay the car before doing any correction work. Shoot me a PM if you'd like some work done on your car.

Originally Posted by Adam1982
Havent read the whole thread, apologize if this has been asked already. Do you still recommend tried and true polishes like 105 & 205 or have you done much with the newer stuff like HD Uno and 3D? I always liked the results from 105 & 205 but the dusting I got was such a pain, the newer stuff is supposed to be a lot better, but I have no first hand experience. Any input?

Yes, those are two exceptional products. I've tried HD Uno and the 3D lineup and was not impressed. Menzerna Fast Gloss is a good alternative to M105 with better working time. But Megs 101 is the best compound I've ever used, good working time, minimal dusting compared to 105 too. However its not commercially available in the US. I get mine from out of the country and its not easy to get here.

This might be a dumb question...

but earlier in the thread you mentioned "*NOTE: Always use an isoprophyl alcohol wipedown to strip polishing oils BEFORE applying your wax or sealant, or you risk it not bonding properly and severely shortening its durability."

Do i simply put the alcohol on a microfiber and wipe it down? And what percentage alcohol? Do i dilute it at all? Thanks!
Do it like you would do a detail spray, but I'd spray a little more. For cars with softer paint I spray it on the towel and make sure its nicely saturated; also use a 1:3 ratio instead of 1:1. For harder paints (like most GM), spraying it on the paint is fine, and use a 1:1 ratio.

For the alcohol I get 91%, also use deionized water to reduce chance of any water-spotting.
Old 04-02-2012 | 05:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Striker
Hey again-

wondering what you recommend as a drying aid? I was told that Megs Ultimate Quick Wax is a very good product in respect to a drying aid, while providing a great shine.

Thoughts?

Some detail spray can be a drying aid. I always flood the paint and then blow it dry so it doesn't take long at all.

Originally Posted by CamaroSS27
I have the cobra gold waffle weave it seems to marre my paint, going to invest into a CG blower most likely, less to touch the paint the better.

That's odd, its never marred my paint....on the Camaro, the truck, or the Z06.

Originally Posted by Junkman2008
You mean the Master Blaster? Good choice by the way... that touching your paint less philosophy. I preach it.
+1

I'm ordering one of those after getting the change to use it during the detail trip to LA/Vegas for the Shelby 50th Anniv bash.

Originally Posted by MTBSully
how much m105 do you use for a 2'x2' section after the pad is primed? this is with 5.5" orange CCS pads. I have found that the m105 is drying out before i can complete 4-5 passes on the section and I am wondering if I am using enough product. Thanks
Just a couple pea sized drops. Also use a working time that is less than 30 seconds generally. Adding D300 to the mix will help increase the working time slightly and reduce dusting.

I think that's one of things I would most like to know. I've asked a few times but no answer from him yet. I'm sure he's busy buffing right now probably.
Yep been doing a lot of that. Answer is above

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
Jeff - I took your advise and purchased some D300 and Megs MF 5" cutting discs. Suprise, suprise, you were right! I was shocked how easily this combo rid my WS6 and it's super hard clear of it's swirls! Unbelievable how much easier it was than using foam LC flats with 105/205. Can't wait to seal her up with some Fuzion and be done for awhile!

I know you've been busy and all but..... I'm dying to see that 150+ hour Bentley tag team detail....! Just sayin..

As always, thanks!

Glad it worked out for you! It doesn't finish down as well as 205, but definitely better than 105.

The Bentley should be coming tomorrow

I have a quick question. I'm working on a car that had a bunch of decals on it. The decals have been removed but in the right light you can still see the outline of where the letters were. Would a light wet sanding take care of that or does it need to be repainted?
Wet sanding is a last resort. Typically just correcting the paint will fix those issues

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
I also agree the less you touch the better, i use a l blower, works great just make sure your drive way is damp. So dust dont fling back up on the car

Definitely do it over a wet surface. Yes!

Yeah I've never done any paint/body work, worked in a shop, restored cars or anything so I probably shouldn't try it.

Wet sanding obviously would be a last resort as I don't know how thick the clear coat is or have a way to check. I have been using the LC orange pad and 105. What would you suggest?
If that isn't taking it out, try a Megs MF cutting disc with some D300 mixed with 105 (don't forget to brush the fibers back up after each use), or the Surbuf pad.

I have a spot of black 5th wheel grease on my light tan armrest/door pull. It's been there a couple years. I've been scared to touch it in fear of smearing it around.

What product and method should I use to get it out?
What kind of material is it on? Leather, vinyl, fabric?
Old 04-02-2012 | 07:14 AM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

What polisher do you have?

Porter Cable
Old 04-02-2012 | 07:25 AM
TECH Resident

thanks for the response!

I'm just not sure what " ONR or light APC" is, sorry about that.
Old 04-02-2012 | 07:32 AM
TECH Apprentice
10 Year Member

Porter Cable
You're going to need something a little more aggressive as a polisher. A rotary would knock it out but I would never suggest you pick up one. I had to remove some holograms from a debadging on a Infinity and used a Flex, but I wet sanded it first with 2500 and 3000 grits using some Adam's stuff.

Old 04-02-2012 | 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the response!

ONR = Optimum No Rinse This
APC = All Purpose Cleaner
Old 04-02-2012 | 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z

That's odd, its never marred my paint....on the Camaro, the truck, or the Z06.
Well I am not sure what I am doing wrong because I have a swirls back, I usually QD my care with KF425 2 or 3 times a week unless its really dirty I will use ONR and dry with my gold waffle. I am using CG MF's they are defiantly soft but I have to be doing something wrong.
Old 04-02-2012 | 11:00 AM
On The Tree

whats the best auto parts store car wash you would recommend
Old 04-02-2012 | 11:05 AM
TECH Junkie

thanks for the response!

ONR is Optimum No Rinse

APC is All Purpose Cleaner (Meguiars makes a good one) just dilute it to your liking. A light concentration would be like 10:1.
Old 04-02-2012 | 11:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Well I am not sure what I am doing wrong because I have a swirls back, I usually QD my care with KF425 2 or 3 times a week unless its really dirty I will use ONR and dry with my gold waffle. I am using CG MF's they are defiantly soft but I have to be doing something wrong.
The wipedowns are your problem. I never do that, I always wash the car because you will get marring otherwise.
Old 04-02-2012 | 11:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by olskoolLT1
whats the best auto parts store car wash you would recommend
Haven't used any auto parts store products in years..... but any soap by Meguiars will be fine.
Old 04-02-2012 | 11:11 AM
On The Tree

alright thanks, ran out the other day and im going to get some now, just thought is ask for recommendations.
Old 04-02-2012 | 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

What kind of material is it on? Leather, vinyl, fabric?
Sorry, 2000 Camaro. Whatever that's made from. Kinda rubber like vinyl.
Old 04-02-2012 | 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

The wipedowns are your problem. I never do that, I always wash the car because you will get marring otherwise.
What do you recommend not sure about Cali but here in Texas we get all this pollen crap that settles on my car when I goto school and it looks like crap. Should I just wash it?
Old 04-02-2012 | 03:40 PM
TECH Junkie

What do you recommend not sure about Cali but here in Texas we get all this pollen crap that settles on my car when I goto school and it looks like crap. Should I just wash it?
Pollen is pretty much the most abrasive naturally occurring particle to come into contact with your paint. They are like a tumble weed mated with a barbed wire fence and had babies..... Never wipe pollen off the car, always wash it.
Old 04-02-2012 | 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

You're going to need something a little more aggressive as a polisher. A rotary would knock it out but I would never suggest you pick up one. I had to remove some holograms from a debadging on a Infinity and used a Flex, but I wet sanded it first with 2500 and 3000 grits using some Adam's stuff.

I've used a rotary before with a wool pad after I wet sanded a car that I had painted. That combo is deadly if you aren't careful.

What pad/compound did you use on the Infinity? If I screw it up I'll just respray it.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer