Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Ask a Professional Detailer

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 08:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which of the Meguiar's Hot Rims wheel cleaners would be best for the 98-2002 High Polish Aluminum wheels on a WS6. The aluminum wheel cleaners says:

Hot Rims™ Aluminum Wheel Cleaner is the ultra-safe solution for cleaning uncoated aluminum. Guaranteed safe for uncoated and polished aluminum wheels as well as anodized and powder-coated wheel surfaces – it’s even safe on all brake components.

and the All Wheel stuff says

Hot Rims All Wheel & Tire Cleaner

Reformulated to clean wheels and tires
Safe on all factory coated wheels
Visually see dirt leaving the wheel & tire

Are the factory rims coated? Is the Aluminum stuff more aggressive, like it will take of the coating or more mild?
Old 06-06-2012, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well are factpry ws6 rims are cleared not uncoated. Would you clean you car paint with this? No so why would you clean your wheels with it. If you want to take off you clear coat and sand you rims use air plane stripper you can get at a autoparts store brush on and it comes off. Onlything i used on mine when they where on the car was took them off airplane stripper sanded off the clear. Then wet sanded with with 1500 grit. Then 1000 wet then i sprayed 4 layers of clear on them then buffed.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's a lot of work to get the clear off, repolish, and re-coat. I dont recommend it unless you feel pretty certain of your patience and skill level.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Well over the past 3 days I went through this thread twice. Read every post and have about 3 pages of notes . I just got my Griots 6" with LC pads (black,white, orange). I have M105/M205. Im gonna review everything and then Ill have a long question for you Jeff to make sure I have everything right before attacking it. One quick question though, you mentioned Blackfire Wet Diamond so much throughout this thread, did I make a mistake going with M16 over the sealant for NBM? I thought I was on summer break but over the last couple days Ive been doing a lot of homework..
Old 06-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JUSTINSWS6
Well are factpry ws6 rims are cleared not uncoated. Would you clean you car paint with this? No so why would you clean your wheels with it. If you want to take off you clear coat and sand you rims use air plane stripper you can get at a autoparts store brush on and it comes off. Onlything i used on mine when they where on the car was took them off airplane stripper sanded off the clear. Then wet sanded with with 1500 grit. Then 1000 wet then i sprayed 4 layers of clear on them then buffed.
I think you guys may have misunderstood me. I don't want to take the clear coat of, I just want to clean my rims
Old 06-06-2012, 03:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drokkers
im for sure gona try that out. If it works i will be so happy, if it doesnt then i will be sad!! thanks for the help
I wouldn't look on 205 as the only way. It is a light polish and not all etching from bird droppings are identical. Some will do severe damage to the paint and not be repairable, others can come out easily. There is no set cure that works across the board. You will have to polish and possibly even compound it out.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:56 AM
TECH Regular

Some quick questions gofast...

I will be doing a full correction soon. A friend of mine knows alot more about paint correction than I and will be helping me out. My question is regarding after the full correction, for the months to come.

I live in rainy Seattle, so I would like to bead as much water as possible and still have a nice shine. I have a bottle of black fire wet diamond waiting for me at home, as well as the polymer spray.

I usually wash the car a minimum of once per week, sometimes twice. Previously, when I just used wax, I would apply wax after a wash once a month. Now that I will be using sealant, I don't know how often to apply. I know the BFWD is supposed to last a long time, but I have still been planning on applying the sealant once a month. In between sealant applications, I will apply the polymer spray probably once a week.

Edit: I should mention the car is my daily driver. I also will not have the necessary products for a full correction for probably another 6 months to a year. The application I talked about above would be for in between full corrections.

Is this complete overkill? I don't mind spending the extra cash goign through the product if it will benefit my protection and repel water more effectively.

Last edited by redlineracing; 06-07-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by axlrose
Which of the Meguiar's Hot Rims wheel cleaners would be best for the 98-2002 High Polish Aluminum wheels on a WS6. The aluminum wheel cleaners says:

Hot Rims™ Aluminum Wheel Cleaner is the ultra-safe solution for cleaning uncoated aluminum. Guaranteed safe for uncoated and polished aluminum wheels as well as anodized and powder-coated wheel surfaces – it’s even safe on all brake components.

and the All Wheel stuff says

Hot Rims All Wheel & Tire Cleaner

Reformulated to clean wheels and tires
Safe on all factory coated wheels
Visually see dirt leaving the wheel & tire

Are the factory rims coated? Is the Aluminum stuff more aggressive, like it will take of the coating or more mild?
Yes your wheels are factory clear coated. The wheel/tire cleaner is safe. The wheel polish is NOT safe for your wheels.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ldyzluvdis06
what is the best polish/wax combo to make a white car look nice and wet?
Take a look below at mac62989's example. Read through this thread, or just skim it. This kind of question has been answered numerous times.

Any good wax or sealant will look fine on white, the real visual difference will be made in the polishing.

Originally Posted by mac62989
Well over the past 3 days I went through this thread twice. Read every post and have about 3 pages of notes . I just got my Griots 6" with LC pads (black,white, orange). I have M105/M205. Im gonna review everything and then Ill have a long question for you Jeff to make sure I have everything right before attacking it. One quick question though, you mentioned Blackfire Wet Diamond so much throughout this thread, did I make a mistake going with M16 over the sealant for NBM? I thought I was on summer break but over the last couple days Ive been doing a lot of homework..
Sounds good. Thanks for taking so much time to read through so much. You can never go wrong with M16. You can even top the BFWD with it, however I wouldn't with that particular sealant. Reason being that BFWD already has the warmth/color/glow of a wax, so topping a sealant that has the more traditional properties of a sealant (gloss, reflective qualities, hard finish look) with a wax like M16, that will add that warmth/glow/depth/color on top of the sealants good durability.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:37 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by dabest09
I have a sun shade in my car made by covercraft that is top notch quality. The seams butt up good with the windshield and keeps the dash completely covered from the sun.
Hey, did your shade come in 2 pieces? Did you get the accordion style or roll up? Summit sells them for $48 with totally free shipping. I'm gonna have to order one very soon. I'm asking cause after I filed out all the stuff the one that popped up on Summit's site said (2) door coupe/2 piece in the description. That was looking at the accordion style.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by redlineracing
Some quick questions gofast...

I will be doing a full correction soon. A friend of mine knows alot more about paint correction than I and will be helping me out. My question is regarding after the full correction, for the months to come.

I live in rainy Seattle, so I would like to bead as much water as possible and still have a nice shine. I have a bottle of black fire wet diamond waiting for me at home, as well as the polymer spray.

I usually wash the car a minimum of once per week, sometimes twice. Previously, when I just used wax, I would apply wax after a wash once a month. Now that I will be using sealant, I don't know how often to apply. I know the BFWD is supposed to last a long time, but I have still been planning on applying the sealant once a month. In between sealant applications, I will apply the polymer spray probably once a week.

Edit: I should mention the car is my daily driver. I also will not have the necessary products for a full correction for probably another 6 months to a year. The application I talked about above would be for in between full corrections.

Is this complete overkill? I don't mind spending the extra cash goign through the product if it will benefit my protection and repel water more effectively.
Way to take initiative. I have noticed the bar being raised on LS1tech in terms of people taking better care of their cars and it makes me very happy to see this change.

You won't need to apply BFWD every month. It's got a solid 3 month durability. If you want to apply every 2 months that would be fine. With washing that often, make sure your washing method is dialed in....... 2 bucket method, grit guards, quality microfiber wash mitt and drying towels.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:45 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
Way to take initiative. I have noticed the bar being raised on LS1tech in terms of people taking better care of their cars and it makes me very happy to see this change.

You won't need to apply BFWD every month. It's got a solid 3 month durability. If you want to apply every 2 months that would be fine. With washing that often, make sure your washing method is dialed in....... 2 bucket method, grit guards, quality microfiber wash mitt and drying towels.
Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Okay, I won't apply the BFWD every month, but how about applying the polymer spray every week or two weeks in between the sealant applications?

My washing method is solid as far as I know. I use the 2 bucket method, grit guards, and 2 MF wash mitts, and MF WW towels. I use one mitt from middle of the car up, and other mitt for middle down. Then clean the wheels and wells with a sponge after spraying them down obviously.

As of now I don't have a foam gun, but I plan on buying one very soon.

Since it rains almost daily in seattle, I don't have the ability to wait for a sunny day to wash. I usually wash outside in the rain (its always a very light sprinkle, almost mist) hen pull into the garage and dry.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Yes the spray is fine.

Sounds like everything is as it should be!
Old 06-07-2012, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Hey, did your shade come in 2 pieces? Did you get the accordion style or roll up? Summit sells them for $48 with totally free shipping. I'm gonna have to order one very soon. I'm asking cause after I filed out all the stuff the one that popped up on Summit's site said (2) door coupe/2 piece in the description. That was looking at the accordion style.
I guess it would be called the accordian style. The part number is uv10541 if that helps. I don't see how it could roll up because its a durable cardboard like material. Mine folds like 8 ways. I believe my ex ordered it off summit, but I didn't order it so I'm not sure. It's definitely one piece though.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds good. Thanks for taking so much time to read through so much. You can never go wrong with M16. You can even top the BFWD with it, however I wouldn't with that particular sealant. Reason being that BFWD already has the warmth/color/glow of a wax, so topping a sealant that has the more traditional properties of a sealant (gloss, reflective qualities, hard finish look) with a wax like M16, that will add that warmth/glow/depth/color on top of the sealants good durability.
Jeff what makes M16 so good? I know it has good durability, Ive seen it mentioned on here several times as well as Autopia but I never really knew why guys drooled over it other than the fact its no longer available in the States.. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this wealth of information. After being in school for 5 years with 2 more to go if I learned anything, read, take notes, study the material, and ask the professor if your stumped (in this case thats you).
Old 06-07-2012, 03:39 PM
12 Second Club

I guess it would be called the accordian style. The part number is uv10541 if that helps. I don't see how it could roll up because its a durable cardboard like material. Mine folds like 8 ways. I believe my ex ordered it off summit, but I didn't order it so I'm not sure. It's definitely one piece though.
ok cool. I'm gonna grab one soon. I have been looking for one that actually fits our cars & isnt a POS that starts breaking down from heat after a couple weeks in the sun.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Can we get a couple pictures of this installed in your car? I may invest in one also.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:10 AM
TECH Resident

it's so true! We've learned a lot from this thread. I personally have even taken some of the tips and used them on wave runners and boats
Old 06-08-2012, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Conrad
Can we get a couple pictures of this installed in your car? I may invest in one also.
I'll try to snap some pictures either today or tomorrow, but my car is filthy lol
Old 06-13-2012, 07:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

buffing my grandfathers Buick , how to i get this compound /dust crap out.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer