Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Ask a Professional Detailer

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
Do NOT use that brush, unless you want to scratch up your black paint.

Swissvax wheel brush is my favorite. Though, if they are the thin 5spoke wheels, just use a microfiber wash mitt (separate from your body wash mitt).

The get the inside barrels, Daytona Speed Master Brush.
Cool, thanks! Guess I need to just stop being lazy and keep scrubbing away. lol.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG!! This thread is SWEET. now i need to go back and make notes, and make a list of stuff that i need to buy. That should make the wife happy, not!!!!
Old 07-06-2012, 09:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

1.) What's the best way to dry a car after washing it? Chamois, Squeegee(hope not), leaf blower, something else?

2.) How often should I clay? Wax? Seal?
Old 07-06-2012, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

What's all the bitching about reading through all the pages? The thread itself has a SEARCH function. I used it before posting my question, I didn't see a comparable answer, then posted.

Quit being lazy and wasting other people's time! That's why it is 80 pages long to begin with.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Jeff I have a question for you. After I did a dawn wash and clayed my car I noticed what looked to be like sap all over the hood. 105/205 did not get it off. Im afraid its etching in the clear coat but from what I do not know. The guy who owned my car before me literally let it sit in a garage and barely drove it for 5 years. Since I have owned it coming up on 3 years it never sat outside and always had wax on it. I also didnt order flat pads when I bought all my stuff from autogeek. Would different compounds help remove this or do you think Im royally screwed? I can try to get up a picture but itll be a shitty one from my phone..
Old 07-06-2012, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pics?
Old 07-06-2012, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 913 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
What's all the bitching about reading through all the pages? The thread itself has a SEARCH function. I used it before posting my question, I didn't see a comparable answer, then posted.

Quit being lazy and wasting other people's time! That's why it is 80 pages long to begin with.

Because people are lazy and they want things handed to them instead of putting forward a little work. I mean hell, this thread in itself is worth thousands of dollars just in the knowledge of what products to use let alone how to use them.

Originally Posted by mac62989
Jeff I have a question for you. After I did a dawn wash and clayed my car I noticed what looked to be like sap all over the hood. 105/205 did not get it off. Im afraid its etching in the clear coat but from what I do not know. The guy who owned my car before me literally let it sit in a garage and barely drove it for 5 years. Since I have owned it coming up on 3 years it never sat outside and always had wax on it. I also didnt order flat pads when I bought all my stuff from autogeek. Would different compounds help remove this or do you think Im royally screwed? I can try to get up a picture but itll be a shitty one from my phone..

I know you asked Jeff but I will offer up my two cents. When you say sap I am guessing you are meaning tree sap? Are they little dark color spots on the paint?

Etching of the clear coat will have a soft fuzzy edge to it and will kinda follow the edge of a body panel or can be circular if its in the middle of a panel.

Can you get any pics?
Old 07-06-2012, 08:07 PM
TECH Junkie

A phone pic probably won't tell me anything. Borrow a friend's camera and get it focused on the issue. Sounds like acid rain damage to me.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry

Are you calling me lazy and wasting people's time?
Old 07-06-2012, 08:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Jay- Yes I meant tree sap. Not dark but whitish colored pretty similiar to what you described.

Jeff- Acid rain could make sense but it is only present all over the hood. I will try to get a picture up here..
Old 07-06-2012, 08:31 PM
TECH Regular

What do you recommend with the heat and sun for washing/waxing and paint correction?

It's 80+ in the morning here now. I've always heard to wash in the early morning or late evening.. to make sure the paint is cool before washing. What do you suggest about washing in the heat? I also don't have a inside area to work in so I can "Correct" the paint. Any advice on that either?

I've got the flooding technique down pat and thanks to that water spots are a bare minimum now! I'm just worried about trying to correct in the sun.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Screamin_99
What do you recommend with the heat and sun for washing/waxing and paint correction?

It's 80+ in the morning here now. I've always heard to wash in the early morning or late evening.. to make sure the paint is cool before washing. What do you suggest about washing in the heat? I also don't have a inside area to work in so I can "Correct" the paint. Any advice on that either?

I've got the flooding technique down pat and thanks to that water spots are a bare minimum now! I'm just worried about trying to correct in the sun.
Unfortunately you can't properly correct paint in the sun, and that goes double for black. Heat and washing/correcting are a bad mix. Get up real early in the am.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 913 Likes on 653 Posts

Are you calling me lazy and wasting people's time?
No Jeff. He was talking to the person that said, " I don't want to be that guy" That's how I took it.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
No Jeff. He was talking to the person that said, " I don't want to be that guy" That's how I took it.
Ok, just checking.... I must have read it wrong.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Jay- Yes I meant tree sap. Not dark but whitish colored pretty similiar to what you described.

Jeff- Acid rain could make sense but it is only present all over the hood. I will try to get a picture up here..
Are they kinda clear and size of a pen head? I had those just claybar alot any they come out
Old 07-06-2012, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Clean it in the garage if you have one
Old 07-06-2012, 10:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JUSTINSWS6
Are they kinda clear and size of a pen head? I had those just claybar alot any they come out
The "stains" are in large portions on the hood. Their not small and in big lines or forms like something was squirted on the hood, dried and now wont come off. Thats why I thought it was sap.. I did clay the car and nothing. M105/205 couldnt get it off and wax didnt cover up any blemishes. At one point it had to be covered by wax because I didnt notice until after a dawn wash.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by idle
1.) What's the best way to dry a car after washing it? Chamois, Squeegee(hope not), leaf blower, something else?

2.) How often should I clay? Wax? Seal?
Being a professional detailer for the last 7 years myself, and being no one answered your question....I'll help you out.

1. After a nice mitt wash their are several ways you can go about drying your car. My perferred method - even with hard water - is to use a California Water Blade to remove the bulk of the water followed by an air dryer (leaf blower). HOWEVER, make sure your water blade is clean before every use by running it under water and running your finger over the blade to remove any dust/dirt/debris. I use a Craftsman vacuum with detachable blower to air dry the vehicles. Afterwards, if you have any waterspots/streaks you can come back around with a micro and quick detail spray to touch up.

2. There really isn't any solid answer to this. There are so many variables including how you maintain it, how its stored, the weather in your area, and the products you use just to name a few. Claying should usually only be done when needed (you'll feel it in the paint), as you're running a brick across the paint - again it comes down to how the car is maintained as far as a timeline goes. Wax/Seal are essentially the same thing. Waxing usually referes to using a natural product (think Carnuaba), where as Sealing usually referes to a synthetic wax. However, from what I've been told and read you can do both, seal first, wax after, if you choose to. This again, can vary GREATLY on the timeline, but mainly because of the product, but also the conditions your car endures. You can never wax/seal a car too much - I did my Gen 1 lightning EVERY Saturday. But, I typically tell my customers once a quarter is great, twice a year is pushing it, but no less then once a year, as no product can last that long. Typical life on waxes range from 2wk to 4 months (again, depending on the variables), and sealants up to a year.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:51 PM
Teching In

The "stains" are in large portions on the hood. Their not small and in big lines or forms like something was squirted on the hood, dried and now wont come off. Thats why I thought it was sap.. I did clay the car and nothing. M105/205 couldnt get it off and wax didnt cover up any blemishes. At one point it had to be covered by wax because I didnt notice until after a dawn wash.
Try a automotive citrus degreaser, or ammonia. Let it sit and work it with your finger nail. If it is tree sap it will desolve.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:55 PM
Teching In

see below

Unfortunately you can't properly correct paint in the sun, and that goes double for black. Heat and washing/correcting are a bad mix. Get up real early in the am.
this

Originally Posted by JUSTINSWS6
Clean it in the garage if you have one
and this.

However, if you REALLY don't have a choice, you can invest in a floor fan and an easy up. Work the side thats out of the sun, and use the floor fan to keep the paint cool (as far as correcting). Flip/Turn - Repeat.

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer