Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

T/A reverse light fix

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default T/A reverse light fix

so what i am trying to do is get the clear cover off the reverse light housing so i can get inside. i was washing out all the dirt with some hot water and the inside reflective stuff for the back up lights just peeled off! so i want to get in there and re-paint it with silver reflective paint. has anyone done this or know how to? i have a pic of the drivers side in good condition and the passenger side all peeled off:

drivers side...good

passenger side...bad. it is hard to tell cause of the lens housing and the condensation in there, but the reflective stuff inside is peeled off
Old 02-16-2012, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe you have to bake them and then separate the front from rear housing... kinda like the camaro guys to when they do whistler mod... If you do it, post up a How to... Ive been wanting to design my own sequential tails but dont wanna ruin a 300 set of tail lights... haha
Old 02-17-2012, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
I believe you have to bake them and then separate the front from rear housing... kinda like the camaro guys to when they do whistler mod... If you do it, post up a How to... Ive been wanting to design my own sequential tails but dont wanna ruin a 300 set of tail lights... haha
well my brother is sending me a set of 98-02 T/A tail lights for free so that sounds like a good idea to me. does anyone have a link to the camaro mod so i have an idea how to bake them, idk if these big *** tail lights will fit in the oven
Old 02-17-2012, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fit in my oven.. bake them at 200 for 3-4 minutes at a time....you dont want to liquify the glue just make it pliable. Also, DO NOT put it directly on the oven rack....put them on a pan and prop them up with a wooden spoon, block or something.. dont let the outside touch anything... just search "whistler how to" there are dozens of threads on how to do it... a strong metal putty knife is what ive used before.. a 1" blade or a large flat tip screwdriver... once they start to come apart, just keep pulling with smooth even pressure... if the glue gets hard, put it back in the oven... and watch it...... I wanna see if this works on those tails...
Old 02-17-2012, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
The fit in my oven.. bake them at 200 for 3-4 minutes at a time....you dont want to liquify the glue just make it pliable. Also, DO NOT put it directly on the oven rack....put them on a pan and prop them up with a wooden spoon, block or something.. dont let the outside touch anything... just search "whistler how to" there are dozens of threads on how to do it... a strong metal putty knife is what ive used before.. a 1" blade or a large flat tip screwdriver... once they start to come apart, just keep pulling with smooth even pressure... if the glue gets hard, put it back in the oven... and watch it...... I wanna see if this works on those tails...
sounds good to me, i will try this, and see if i can get it in the oven sideways. i am gonna look up the whistler how to first then i will get on it when my replacements show up
Old 02-17-2012, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At 200° you'll have to bake for 10-15 minutes. Just check in em every 5 to make sure they're not getting soft or deformed.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I didn't think you could bake open the tail lights
Old 02-18-2012, 12:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

They will come apart with heat and prying on them... you risk braking them at the edges.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya I didn't think it was possible to bake open taillights either. Interested to see if that works.

Quick Reply: T/A reverse light fix