Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Yofab Underhood Bolt Kit (Opinions??)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Yofab Underhood Bolt Kit (Opinions??)

Hey Guys,

I just painted the engine comp. and I was thinking about stepping it up alittle bit and order the underhood bolt kit for my car. I was thinking about going with the polished ones. http://store.yoastfabrication.com/se...l?sfs=614be6be
Anyone that has ordered this kit for their car, care to chime in? Pictures would be a plus!
Is there a ls1tech discount?

Thanks!
Brian

Last edited by Bowtie-Bri; 03-01-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

I should have ordered a set last year when they were $194. Now they are $275. They look great but that's a decent amount of money for bolts.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:11 PM
FormerVendor

There's lots of people on the forum with them, hopefully someone chimes in for ya. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

If money is tight, we sell the kit in a raw stainless finish for $75 (far right in pic below). You could install it as is or polish yourself.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Launching!

I bought them a while back, couple summers ago I think. They are definitely nice pieces and look good but I have a lot going on under the hood with other stainless and chrome pieces so I think they tend to get lost throughout all the other things. Other than the fender bolts and the few bolts right behind the bumper, you don't really notice them. My eyes tend to look at everything else b/c the pieces are much bigger. They are a nice touch, but I was a little disappointed and they are expensive! If you really wanted to take the time, you could go to Ace Hardware and buy chrome bolts/washers. Just gotta match up bolts and washers and replace the bolts you think are most noticeable if you go that route.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Launching!

Btw, if you are trying to dress up the engine, I have the chrome caps for the coolant, radiator, ps fluid, and brake fluid reservoir. They are MINT. Shoot me a PM if you'd be interested. I just did something a lil different which is why I took them off.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered them from YOFAB when they first came out. Nice pieces. Almost everything Stainless and Polished under my hood came from YOFAB. There are more pictures under FQuick that show different areas of the polished bolts.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't waste your money on buying a pre-made kit. I made my own and polished everything for less than $40 at Lowes.. $275 is outrageous and frankly a joke who ever paid that much is an idiot IMO.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djfury05
I wouldn't waste your money on buying a pre-made kit. I made my own and polished everything for less than $40 at Lowes.. $275 is outrageous and frankly a joke who ever paid that much is an idiot IMO.
What'd you use to polish the bolts and washers?
Old 03-01-2012, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$40 not including the time it took to find/locate all the bolts/nuts/washers, plus the time it took to polish it all. I spent $200 on sale to sit on my *** and have it all delivered to me. Good deal to me! The kit includes some 60 pieces, at the full price of $275 it comes out to like $4.50 a piece for polished. My time to locate and polish 60 little pieces is more valuable than yours.

To the OP, the kit is top notch and every piece comes individually packaged as to not damage in shipping. I'm waiting until I get the engine bay painted before I install the kit. It's pricey, but like I said before, I don't think $4.50/piece for polished stainless is a bad deal.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:04 PM
Launching!

I would also like to know what you used to polish everything.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

Thank you for posting pictures of your engine comp. You did an awesome job!
I can only hope mine will turn out half as nice.

Originally Posted by sleepinghawk
I ordered them from YOFAB when they first came out. Nice pieces. Almost everything Stainless and Polished under my hood came from YOFAB. There are more pictures under FQuick that show different areas of the polished bolts.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

Thank you for all your input Guys! You've given me a lot to think about.
I'll have to look into the options that were mentioned.
I'll post before and after pics when this project is complete.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Time it took to locate every nut/bolt/washer took about 10 seconds since I knew exactly what I needed.

I have a dremel and a bench grinder that I put a polishing wheel on and went to town. Each piece took about 1 minute at most. I'm not lazy like others I guess.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I bought a set when they first came out years ago. They were a new item with a cheap (IMO) price. I have no idea what the price is now. If it's $275, then decide if you want to spend that. Most things you buy can be done yourself if you have the time or want to take the time.
Attached Thumbnails Yofab Underhood Bolt Kit (Opinions??)-dsc03419.jpg   Yofab Underhood Bolt Kit (Opinions??)-dsc03448.jpg  
Old 03-02-2012, 11:39 AM
FormerVendor

Djfury05, I highly doubt you got a mirror polished finish with one polishing wheel and a dremel. Our polished stainless fasteners go through at least 3 buffing/polishing steps and sometimes more if the stock fasteners are rough to start. Our bolts also sit perfectly center of the washer. When you buy off the shelf washers the tolerance is terrible; there's at least 1/16" slop which is OK for everyday projects but looks pretty tacky when it's on a show car. To solve this on our early kits we punched the washers to size. On our new kits with thicker washers (last year or so) we use a rubber spacer. Or you could buy mil spec washers but those are big $$$ and hard to find.

Our new kits are also packaged individually to keep from scratching as one of our previous customers stated above. They also feature the best polishing we've ever offered on our stainless bolt kits. They look better than chrome fasteners and are much more durable. Chrome fasteners are just a bad idea; they're never a high quality plating and with the torque they're subject to it's only a matter of time before the plating fails and they rust.

Regarding the price increase: We use thicker stainless washers. The polished finish is better. The fasteners are individually packaged. And the greatest increase is just the price of stainless steel rising.

BTW, there's 70 pieces in our Firebird kit & 83 in our Camaro kit.

Thanks to our loyal customers for your support!!
Old 03-02-2012, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

Are the bolts all the same size and length or do they vary per specific application? I was really looking for enough to do the front half and along the inside of the fenders which consist of approx. 25 bolts so 83 bolts is way more than I need. Do you offer smaller kits?

Originally Posted by YOFAB
Djfury05, I highly doubt you got a mirror polished finish with one polishing wheel and a dremel. Our polished stainless fasteners go through at least 3 buffing/polishing steps and sometimes more if the stock fasteners are rough to start. Our bolts also sit perfectly center of the washer. When you buy off the shelf washers the tolerance is terrible; there's at least 1/16" slop which is OK for everyday projects but looks pretty tacky when it's on a show car. To solve this on our early kits we punched the washers to size. On our new kits with thicker washers (last year or so) we use a rubber spacer. Or you could buy mil spec washers but those are big $$$ and hard to find.

Our new kits are also packaged individually to keep from scratching as one of our previous customers stated above. They also feature the best polishing we've ever offered on our stainless bolt kits. They look better than chrome fasteners and are much more durable. Chrome fasteners are just a bad idea; they're never a high quality plating and with the torque they're subject to it's only a matter of time before the plating fails and they rust.

Regarding the price increase: We use thicker stainless washers. The polished finish is better. The fasteners are individually packaged. And the greatest increase is just the price of stainless steel rising.

BTW, there's 70 pieces in our Firebird kit & 83 in our Camaro kit.

Thanks to our loyal customers for your support!!
Old 03-02-2012, 12:31 PM
FormerVendor

The bolt lengths vary. We sell a kit for the air box: http://store.yoastfabrication.com/se...l?sfs=55d679f2

The total count includes bolts/washers/nuts so the full kit may be what you're looking for. Take a look at the website page for pics of all the stock fasteners it replaces: http://store.yoastfabrication.com/se...l?sfs=55d679f2

Best regards, Steve.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UGOTWS6D
I bought them a while back, couple summers ago I think. They are definitely nice pieces and look good but I have a lot going on under the hood with other stainless and chrome pieces so I think they tend to get lost throughout all the other things. Other than the fender bolts and the few bolts right behind the bumper, you don't really notice them. My eyes tend to look at everything else b/c the pieces are much bigger. They are a nice touch, but I was a little disappointed and they are expensive! If you really wanted to take the time, you could go to Ace Hardware and buy chrome bolts/washers. Just gotta match up bolts and washers and replace the bolts you think are most noticeable if you go that route.
I bet if they were replaced for the stock pieces you'd definitely know though! They're definitely a nice addition but I can see how they wouldn't stand out as much with other pieces until you went back to stock.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MasterV8
I bet if they were replaced for the stock pieces you'd definitely know though! They're definitely a nice addition but I can see how they wouldn't stand out as much with other pieces until you went back to stock.
If you know what you're looking at then yeah, you will notice them, especially the fender bolts and the bolts along the front of the car. But when you have bigger pieces like battery cover, ps cover, brake fluid cover, TCS cover, etc, etc, the little things tend to get lost among all the bigger shiny pieces. All I was saying. If you have a more basic engine compartment then yes they will stand out. For car shows, it is a nice addition to round things out tho.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Launching!

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/...2WS6TA/037.jpg
http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/...2WS6TA/035.jpg
http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/...2WS6TA/033.jpg
http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/...2WS6TA/039.jpg
http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/...2WS6TA/040.jpg
http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/...2WS6TA/038.jpg
http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/...2WS6TA/041.jpg

Quick Reply: Yofab Underhood Bolt Kit (Opinions??)