Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Swirl marks

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 607motorsports
Off topic a bit but how is the Blackfire wax? I've been contemplating ordering some...
Its awesome great protection and gives dark colors such a deep shiny color you will love it.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CamaroSS27
Its awesome great protection and gives dark colors such a deep shiny color you will love it.
Thanks man, i'll definitely have to get some on order and give it a try then
Old 04-12-2012, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 607motorsports
Thanks man, i'll definitely have to get some on order and give it a try then
Or you can try this, but BF will last longer because its a sealant.

blacklight and V7 - max shine
REVIEW
Old 04-12-2012, 06:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You mentioned blackfire is good for dark colors. What about a medium color, such as my mystic teal metallic? Think it would be OK on that? Or would something else be better for the color, or more durable for an outdoor-parked car?

After I get a few more paychecks under my belt to fill out my bank account again after purchasing the car I'd like to at least get a PC and do some work with it. I can't expect it to be perfect as I don't have a garage to park in, but I can at least try to do what I can until I do have a garage.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

No blackfire will be perfect, its great for metallic as well, and it does have good durability.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:12 AM
Staging Lane

If i used the Blackfire would i have to get rid of the Meguiars NXT 2.0 that i have on there now?Or can i apply it over it. If not what steps would you do to get that off? Repolish, wash with Dawn or just wash with a good car wash like Megs Gold Class a few times and then apply? Let me know! THANKS.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:34 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Read about 19 pages, then my head exploded.

Now I wonder if I deserve an fbody since I don't understand half that stuff, nor do I have a garage to store it in all the time, or good constant access to a place to properly wash it.

I feel like a neglectful owner now
Hey you're not the only one, so don't feel bad. I have to keep my Z28 and my F-150 outside 24/7/365. My space in the family garage consists of my toolbox, and a cabinet, with a rolling stool, jack, and stands spread where I can fit them.

As far as washing and detailing goes, you do the best you can with what you have available (I often use a drive-in $5 for 30 minute wash nearby when I can't wash at home), and pick up new things along the way. Like a lot of detailing pros will say, detailing is an art. Even with great tools you still learn as you go.

2 weeks ago I spent 9 hours detailing my car with a Porter Cable and 105/205, and I learned a few lessons in my first attempt at doing that myself. I used too much polish and saturated my pad, making the last 1/3rd of the car harder to do. And I got polish in the nooks and crannies around my emblems and doors that I'm still trying to get out. I also accidentally pulled the pad up and splattered polish, and I had to redo that area. But you know what? It was worth it to see how clean the paint looked after I finished, and now I have new knowledge to use the next time I bring out the buffer.

You learn as you go, and you'll find that you get better at detailing, and you'll start to really enjoy the time you spend doing it.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

i have learned so much as far as a detail and the work and tools involved, my question is since its possible to remove swirls and such by hand but more muscle and sweat is behind it, would a orbital buffer actually do anything at all or would you be better off by hand. like i said i know the pc and such is the right and faster way i just didnt know if a cheap orbital would work with some *** behind it
Old 04-13-2012, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by websdown
If i used the Blackfire would i have to get rid of the Meguiars NXT 2.0 that i have on there now?Or can i apply it over it. If not what steps would you do to get that off? Repolish, wash with Dawn or just wash with a good car wash like Megs Gold Class a few times and then apply? Let me know! THANKS.
You can apply it over but blackfire is a sealant so best to be over the paint. So best would dawn wash and polish u want to add then BF, let sit for liek 15 min then wipe off and comes off so easy.

Originally Posted by Mtownls1
i have learned so much as far as a detail and the work and tools involved, my question is since its possible to remove swirls and such by hand but more muscle and sweat is behind it, would a orbital buffer actually do anything at all or would you be better off by hand. like i said i know the pc and such is the right and faster way i just didnt know if a cheap orbital would work with some *** behind it
You can but you wont get near the results, if any. Compounding isnt something you want to do by hand. you dont want an orbital because they are rotary. PC, Flex, and Griot garage use ORM which is osolation per minute which means you pretty much cant burn your paint because it doesnt force the rotation
Old 04-14-2012, 05:39 PM
Staging Lane

right, most deff man i just thought id ask,never really dumb questions to be asked i guess i cant know it all haha but thanks for the help
Old 04-15-2012, 06:27 AM
Staging Lane

THANKS Camaro SS 27 for the reply on the Blackfire.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BrianSF-GA
This is what I use with an orbital buffer, not a polisher/grinder! It may take longer, but the results are better and there is no chance of "burning" your paint!

Ended up trying this stuff. It did make a noticeable difference on my paint. I followed it up with the meguiars nxt wax. However the swirl marks are still there. Should I try something a little bit stronger like the 105 and 205?

Quick Reply: Swirl marks