Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Using VHT Nightshade

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Using VHT Nightshade

So...I'm going to be tinting my side markers (front and back), the 3th brake light, and my driving lights.

Is it necessary to clear coat these?

Is it necessary to wet sand/polish them?

I'm thinking its not necessary since they are all relatively small...but since I havent used the stuff before, i figured I'd ask for some input. If I do the tail lights themselves eventually, i will clear coat and wet sand/polish them for sure.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arapitis
So...I'm going to be tinting my side markers (front and back), the 3th brake light, and my driving lights.

Is it necessary to clear coat these?

Is it necessary to wet sand/polish them?

I'm thinking its not necessary since they are all relatively small...but since I havent used the stuff before, i figured I'd ask for some input. If I do the tail lights themselves eventually, i will clear coat and wet sand/polish them for sure.
I would other wise it just looks dull after awhile and you would wish that you did. Just make sure you scuff them down before you spray them
Old 05-05-2012, 09:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes, it will look dull so you need to do to it kinda what you would do say if you were to paint a car. The clear coat will make it shiny, if not, it'll look just stated before, dull.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 9WhiteCamaro9
Yes, it will look dull so you need to do to it kinda what you would do say if you were to paint a car. The clear coat will make it shiny, if not, it'll look just stated before, dull.
should i just go with the clear or clear then wetsand and polish?
Old 05-05-2012, 09:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Clear, then wet sand and polish in my opinion. Some others may know a better way but when I had the stuff on my car, it came out pretty decent with out clear coat and I was ok with it until I got a ticket for it and got tired of it.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 9WhiteCamaro9
Clear, then wet sand and polish in my opinion. Some others may know a better way but when I had the stuff on my car, it came out pretty decent with out clear coat and I was ok with it until I got a ticket for it and got tired of it.
You'll get the best results with light wet sanding then polishing. When it comes to looks theres no point in half-assing things
Old 05-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

I didn't clear coat my tail lights when I sprayed them and I was happy with the way it looked so i left it alone
Old 05-05-2012, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

Ive heard that you need to clearcoat if you want the finish to last at all...

Lots of good YouTube videos on doing this correctly

Good luck with you project.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:36 AM
On The Tree

Well dad owns a body shop and when he did my tail lights he did sand them to scuff the
So the paint would grab then we threw the paint once dried threw clear once that dried he did a wet fine sand paper and then he polished them and it lookd amazing
Old 05-06-2012, 05:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well if you want them to look like a matte then don't clear coat them. If you want them to be shiny clear coat them...

I need to redo my tinted tail lights. There 4 years old lol & the spray is ashing off. Anyone know the best way to deal with that? Kind of need to restore the tail lights. There a little rough
Old 05-06-2012, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck with the 3rd brake light. Every one I have done cracked on top. I tried every possible way to do them also. There are threads on here with others having the same issue. I believe it is an issue with the plastic itself or from deterioration from the sun.

FWIW-I clear and wetsand all the lenses I do. It gives it more of a professional/finished look.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I did mine last weekend but some dust got into the clear when I was spraying the clear. Do y'all think this will wetsand out?
Old 05-06-2012, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

And what grit did you use to wet sand before you polished?
Old 05-06-2012, 12:08 PM
On The Tree

Talking

Originally Posted by dabest09
I did mine last weekend but some dust got into the clear when I was spraying the clear. Do y'all think this will wetsand out?
That is exactly what happen when u paint outdoors its the dirt and debris tend to fly into the clear even my dad when he painted my taillights I got a few specks of dirt here at therea one little run off but that that's why they got sand with a fine sand paper to take off the speck of dirts and run offs then my dad buffer them and all those dirt specs gone I'm so lucky my dad owns his own body shop lol
Old 05-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

i did mine the other day and added a clear coat over it didn't scuff them up or anything just sprayed them... didn't come out bad
Attached Thumbnails Using VHT Nightshade-581462_3178532261920_1224030409_45517778_1212942335_n.jpg  
Old 05-06-2012, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blu99T/A
Good luck with the 3rd brake light. Every one I have done cracked on top. I tried every possible way to do them also. There are threads on here with others having the same issue. I believe it is an issue with the plastic itself or from deterioration from the sun.

FWIW-I clear and wetsand all the lenses I do. It gives it more of a professional/finished look.
no luck with the 3rd light for me either. i ended up sanding it back down and putting tinted vinyl on it
Old 05-06-2012, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Never had that problem with my 3rd brake light.... UsmcAlston turned out good!
Old 05-06-2012, 11:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu99T/A

Mine did that too, so I sanded it down and tried again this time with VERY light coats. That seemed to work OK.

Then I replaced with an LED 3rd light and called it a day.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DoggyB22
Never had that problem with my 3rd brake light.... UsmcAlston turned out good!

It is only the T/A 3rd brake lights and it is the very top portion that is flat with the top of the spoiler. The lit bottom side, like the base hatch 3rd brake light covers fine. That is why i believe it is a sun affecting the lens issue.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

On my vette I didnt clear coat but it came out with a nice sheen that has lasted 4+ years but they are inset so do not get sunlight very often .

My next set for my el camino I want the matte look so no clear on them either or possible the matte clear coat but that stuff is pretty pricey.

Quick Reply: Using VHT Nightshade