Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Spray versus brush painting calipers

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Spray versus brush painting calipers

I'm in the process of painting my calipers but can't decide whether to use the brush on method or spray. I'm putting new rotors on so I'm going to have to take off the calipers anyway so that's not an issue, but from what I'm reading, the brush on paint is more durable. True? Or do people choose brush because no disassembly is required?
Old 08-18-2012, 12:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took mine off and brushed them. Turned out good kinda leaves brush marks I put 3100 coats on
Old 08-18-2012, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Name:  2012-08-09_19-17-26_510.jpg
Views: 7305
Size:  230.2 KB
Old 08-18-2012, 12:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Name:  2012-08-08_18-44-20_476.jpg
Views: 5380
Size:  239.2 KB
Old 08-18-2012, 01:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I've down both, and I wouldn't say either was a lot better. Durability I think is would be based more on the quality of the work you put in, and the brand of paint you use. I used the brush on paint the first time as it was the only one I could find in the blue i wanted. I liked that you don't have to mask off EVERYTHING like yiu do with sprying. It's mor controlled, and yiu only get the paint where you want it. I had no brush strokes, I actual had a really nice smooth finish. But, since you'll have everything disassembled already, that main point goes out the window as yiu don't need to worry about getting overspray on anything. I'd just spray if I were yiu.

If you truly want durable, take them and get them powdercoated and you'll really be happy. Whenever I eventually do a big brake job down the road that's the route I'll probably go.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:34 PM
TECH Resident

I started doing this project and took the brackets off and sprayed them with the duplicolor caliper spray. I also sprayed the rotor hats but I'm thinking about going with the brush on for the actual caliper after remounting it on the bracket. Even though it's off the bracket right now, it looks like it would still be a pain spraying it in the tight confines of the wheel well.

Turbo - Looking at your pictures, I think Brakemotive sent me two sets of front rotors. Based on your pics, the fronts look different than the rears, same as the original set up.

Now that I've started the project, like C-bird mentioned, I should have checked on powder coating, but money is a little tight right now.

Last edited by Cheap Guy; 08-18-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whichever route you decide to go, make sure to clean the calipers VERY well. That is going to make the paint last. Also use very light coats, don't cake that **** on, it will crack from the heat of braking.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:28 AM
Launching!

whats the best method of cleaning if you plan on leaving the calipers on? steel wool and a rag with some kind of cleaner?
Old 08-19-2012, 02:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just used brake cleaner and a wire brush to clean mine and yes front and rear rotors are different
Old 08-19-2012, 02:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BadBirdie
whats the best method of cleaning if you plan on leaving the calipers on? steel wool and a rag with some kind of cleaner?
Well my calipers held a ton of dirt in the pits of the aluminum, as I'm sure most other people will have the same problem. I'd try what the guy above me said and use a wire brush with either brake cleaner or all purpose cleaner. You need something very stiff though to get in those pores. Personally, I wetsanded mine and polished them, which is a pain in the ***, but really stands out and I prefer it over painted.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

i painted my calipers years ago on the car with spray paint this is what they looked like when i took them off this summer:
Name:  caliperpic4.jpg
Views: 4826
Size:  42.5 KB

after i took it all apart, and painted all back up to its original condition, or better, it looked like this:
Name:  caliperpic2.jpg
Views: 4848
Size:  40.3 KB

when assembled it lookes like this:
Name:  caliperpic1.jpg
Views: 4929
Size:  53.4 KB

what i used: calipers and brackets got (believe it or not) krylon bright metallic "kentucky chrome". pads got the duplicolor red caliper paint. rotors got coated in a basecoat silver duplicolor, i forgot the actual number i used. i painted the entire rotor, front and back, the pads will take off the paint it needs to after a few good stops. in this pic, its not quite all off yet, but its close.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

Well, I finished the front brakes. As far as whether to use a brush or spray, the answer is: It depends.

I sprayed the bracket and hat with Duplicolor caliper paint, using at least seven thin coats and they came out pretty good. With just overnight drying, the paint was solid and smudges from handling wiped off pretty easy. During remounting, the paint still held up with just a few minor scratches.

On the other hand, I brushed the calipers and they came out pretty crappy. Here's the reason why: When you start putting the stuff back on, it's hard not to scuff, smudge or chip the paint. I ended up having to basically repaint a large part of the caliper and frankly, it didn't look good. I"m not optimistic that it's going to hold up to any future brake work. In fact, the caliper actually looks better with a good cleaning and leaving it as is, IMO.

So, if you're doing like I'm doing, which is basically doing a full brake job and want to do a little appearance work at the same time, it's probably better to use spray and carefully tape off or even remove the caliper. Or you can spray the bracket then remount everything and use the brush kit on the caliper. That's what I'm going to do for the rear brakes.

Name:  IMG_0001.jpg
Views: 6154
Size:  95.0 KB
Old 08-20-2012, 04:48 PM
TECH Regular

did you paint the rotors?
Old 08-20-2012, 04:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I've had good luck with the Duplicolor spray cans.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bizerk1
did you paint the rotors?
Yup. I've read that some people just paint the entire rotor and let the pads take off the paint, but it was easy to tape/paint. Plus I put on brand new pads and didn't want to mess them up. Again, the rotors and bracket were spray painted and came out very good.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:11 AM
TECH Regular

I am putting on new pads and rotors, and want to paint the rotors to prevent from that rusty look and they overall look nice, I have the duplicolor rotor kit. If I am painting it, is there certain way I should do it. As you said I dont want to mess up the pads, with the pain and I got the brakemotive drilled and slotted rotors. Does that make a dif
Old 08-21-2012, 06:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bizerk1
I am putting on new pads and rotors, and want to paint the rotors to prevent from that rusty look and they overall look nice, I have the duplicolor rotor kit. If I am painting it, is there certain way I should do it. As you said I dont want to mess up the pads, with the pain and I got the brakemotive drilled and slotted rotors. Does that make a dif
I think the Brakemotive rotors are zinc coated and shouldn't rust, however if you want to paint them, I suggest using Duplicolor spray. It's easy to tape off with blue tape which you can trim easily by laying down the tape all the way over the rotor groove then trimming it by using a razor following the groove. You'll get a nice tape line that way.

Name:  DSC00185.jpg
Views: 4807
Size:  63.9 KB

Last edited by Cheap Guy; 08-22-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

If you don't want to spend as much time taping, you can just do a cut line where you want the paint to end and spray (try not to get it thick on the rotor surface) then wipe off the paint with brake parts cleaner. If you wipe them down before the paint dries completely it will wipe right off.

This trick is also handy for painting chrome emblems and things which are difficult to tape off.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:49 AM
TECH Regular

so zinc coating wont rust? or should I at least paint the outside rim and the inner(hub part) of brake? Any of you with brakemotive brakes, did you not paint them and how do they look ?
Old 08-22-2012, 07:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

The pictures I posted up top are brakemotive rotors

Quick Reply: Spray versus brush painting calipers