Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cleaning Windows Properly: Need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 07:25 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question Cleaning Windows Properly: Need help!!

Well lets be clear, I suck at cleaning windows.

One of the very few things I have yet to master but never the less, still suck at it and need help.

There are countless combos I hear people use between, drying towels, microfibers, regular OTC towels, Blue Shop towels, newspapers and then matched up with OTC sprays, professional chems, 100% alcohol or 50/50 alky w/ distilled water.

I've used the majority of these techniques and never seem to get it perfect.

Always seems to be a streak or smear or at certain angles you can see where I clean and now other spots look not as good.

Figure I throw it out there for those who got it right.

What are you doing, techinique, products and frankly any good tips.

The only things I have not done but plan on is the 50/50 mix of alky and distilled water or Meguiar's has a window cleaner concentrate and some professionals swear on a 1:1 ratio mix.

Before I forget, to mention. Most if not all cars are non smokers, and seems to be the inside window. The exteriors get cleaned fairly regularly and water bladed, dried, and then OTC window cleaner with paper towels. But I try not to use too much cleaner as it seems like it takes forever to get it off or if not using enough its whats creating the streaks.

Wonder if I need to actually wash the windows with car wash and to be careful about it. Then follow up with cleaner/towel combo.

Last edited by BlackScreaminMachine; 08-20-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Stoner's invisible glass and Meguiars Perfect Clarity along with a MF glass towel. Spray a light coat covering the window (less is more). I let that sit for about 10 seconds, wipe down with one MF glass towel, then follow up with a 100% dry one to remove any smears or streaks. Perfect every time.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wash, clay, polish, clean
Old 08-20-2012, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had excellent results by simply parking in the shade and wiping my windows with an old cotton t-shirt after the the car and windows are completely dried with a synthetic chamois. I've never had to use any types of chemicals on glass for them to be streak-free.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

this is what I use, I really like it.

Last edited by CamaroSS27; 08-20-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:29 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll have to check the YT vid later at home. I think I am going to clay the window. I know there is specific compounds for actual glass polishing but I think you mean an abrasive that can remove film that has accumulated on the window which can be worth while.

Going to try each and see where it gets me.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Good thread. I always think I have them really clean until Im driving at night and oncoming headlights always reveal some streaks..
Old 08-21-2012, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

Good old Windex and regular paper towels have always worked for me. Spray on, wipe downwards in a circular motion, flip paper towel to dry side and wipe again in the same fashion.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Stoners glass cleaner and 2 low nap MF towels are what I use. (one for the cleaner and the other for buffing the glass)

Originally Posted by jallen100
Good old Windex and regular paper towels have always worked for me. Spray on, wipe downwards in a circular motion, flip paper towel to dry side and wipe again in the same fashion.
I hope you are not using Windex on tinted windows.... Blue Windex contains ammonia and can deteriorate the color of your window tint.

Last edited by bj350hp; 08-21-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Teching In

Default Steamer

I actually use a steamer on my windows with just water. One of my friends had a 3rd gen camaro that the guy who owned it before her was a really big smoker and no matter what we used we couldn't get the windows clean and then another one of my friends suggested a steamer and you know what it cleaned the **** out of the windows and made them look brand new it gets all the dirt, gunk, what ever is on ur window off it. it also works great if you need to get tint off as well. So all i use now is a Steamer and a microfiber towel and thats it.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bj350hp
Stoners glass cleaner and 2 low nap MF towels are what I use. (one for the cleaner and the other for buffing the glass)

I hope you are not using Windex on tinted windows.... Blue Windex contains ammonia and can deteriorate the color of your window tint.

No, I keep the inside wiped down pretty good, so I never have to clean the inside.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Distilled water + Cobra Glass Waffle Weave MF

/thread
Old 08-21-2012, 04:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CroLs1
I actually use a steamer on my windows with just water. One of my friends had a 3rd gen camaro that the guy who owned it before her was a really big smoker and no matter what we used we couldn't get the windows clean and then another one of my friends suggested a steamer and you know what it cleaned the **** out of the windows and made them look brand new it gets all the dirt, gunk, what ever is on ur window off it. it also works great if you need to get tint off as well. So all i use now is a Steamer and a microfiber towel and thats it.
The steamer will work inside or out.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I always just use Windex, but I've found the key that is you can't use enough clean towels. Front and back each get their own cleaning towel and their own final wipe down towel. Sides and mirrors are done together. Works for me good luck!

Quick Reply: Cleaning Windows Properly: Need help!!