Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

How do you make Pewter paint look its best???

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 03:12 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default How do you make Pewter paint look its best???

Like the title states, I own a 2000 Pewter T/A and the paint is in pretty good condition with very few scratches or swirls. But I'm still not really happy. The paint lacks the depth you get from almost any other color out there when polished well.

Is there anything I can do to add depth and shine to the paint? Right now I'm using the Mother's 3 step car care due to the relative easy application and conveniance of purchasing.

I am planning on buying a Porter Cable 7336 RO polisher in the hopes that it will allow me get some more depth and shine to the car.

Thanks a million and all suggestions are welcome.
Old 04-11-2004, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paint it Red.

No seriously, I know it's not what you mean but 18 inch chrome wheels brings the Pewter out. On Camaros i suggest clear corners too.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:57 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, can't say I've really had that problem. When the car is pretty dusty then ya, but after a good wash mine has some good depth. I've been using liquid glass and have been happy with it.
Attached Thumbnails How do you make Pewter paint look its best???-21.jpg  
Old 04-12-2004, 02:35 PM
Launching!

Depth is hard to get with Pewter. Plain and simple. I have had success (and complements on depth) using Zanio Z5.

Old 04-12-2004, 03:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SuperSport
Depth is hard to get with Pewter. Plain and simple. I have had success (and complements on depth) using Zanio Z5.

i must also give you a compliment, very nice looking car, my website in my sig has a big pic of mine, not the greatest, but it looks good for the amount of lighting, i got plenty more pics, but with my "mighty" modem, its hard to upload big pics, so it will be a bit before i put up some new ones, cause i got alot of nice pics of my car with my friends z06 and another friends gtp, they look quite sharp lined up side by side.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:47 PM
Launching!

Thanks, STKoRn97.... very nice pic you have on your site. Can't wait to see more!
Old 04-13-2004, 07:22 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the ideas guys. This is the first year that the T/A has been a limited use vehicle only and I basically started over with the cleaning/polishing of the paint.

I dawned it, followed by a thorough claybarring (not really a word), dawned it again, then started the Mother's three step process. 1. Pre-wax cleaner, 2. Sealer/ Glaze, 3. Pure carnuba wax.

I am up to the second stage, the sealer/glaze step and picked up the Porter Cable random orbit polisher yesterday and have noticed a difference already. The difference in the depth and shine is starting to show after using the polisher.

Thanks guys. Once its all done, I'll put up picks.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Zaino Zaino and more Zaino Z5, and Z5

Sean
Old 04-13-2004, 08:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Alchemist - first step is to stop using Dawn. Dawn is bad news, no matter what they tell you.

I'd start off by washing (car wash), claying, washing again (car wash), drying, then a good polishing using your porter cable. In terms of a polish I'll recommend (as usual) that you go with Menzerna Intensive polish followed by Menzerna Final Polish. This two-step polishing system is what will bring out the depth in your paint (not a sealant like Zaino, etc.) After you're done polishing, use your choice of sealant/wax. I've heard good things about Wolfgang Sealant and Menzerna FMJ sealant. For a little "extra" glam, try topping off your sealant with a quick coat of P21s Carnauba wax. It will act as a "sacrificial layer" as well as put that extra layer of depth/wetness on the car that has been eluding you.

-Tom
Old 04-13-2004, 05:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yup, Zaino is what you want.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

WOW! Damn SuperSport, your car looks AWESOME. Ive had mine just about 3 yrs and have yet to even wax it. After seeing yours thats gonna change
Old 04-13-2004, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

There's a lot more out there than Zaino. Do some research and ask some questions - www.autopia.org

Quick Reply: How do you make Pewter paint look its best???