Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cannot get headlights to buff out

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 03:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cannot get headlights to buff out

I have a 2001 Camaro SS that of course has ugly hazy headlights. So I picked up a headlight resto kit and started polishing, after about an hour it is only slightly better. I also noticed that the headlight appears to have a clear plastic film over it (there are a couple of small holes in it making it visible.) Is this some aftermarket fix that someone attempted in the past that I need to remove? Thanks.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Get 3M's headlight restorer.... Walmart should have it. Spend 30-45 minutes on each light. Make sure your power drill is set to low also.... Works like a charm
Old 01-31-2013, 09:47 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u can wet sand it with 1500.use variable speed buffer(if u can get hold of one) or use your power drill as mentioned above.then get u some rubbing compound 3m,mothers etc..and start buffing.once it nice and clear,all yellow residue is gone.then seal it with something like clearcoat sealeant.and then throw coat of wax on there.they will be like brand new and stay clean for quiet a while.and i like to remove the headlights and do it due to buffer catching on to something and damaging the paint.if not then tape off the surrounding really good.i learned tht the hard way.lol..good luck and post some pics if ya can
Old 01-31-2013, 10:22 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blownbayou
Get 3M's headlight restorer.... Walmart should have it. Spend 30-45 minutes on each light. Make sure your power drill is set to low also.... Works like a charm
This. I picked up a bottle of Meguiar's Plastic polish to do the polishing part though. Did my girlfriend's headlights about a month ago.

They were pretty bad with etched in bird poop on the driver's side. Spend a little time doing it right, follow the directions, and it'll work. Definitely spend some time taping off. I spent 3/4 of my time on taping doing about 3-4 layers in most spots and her paint is crap as you can see. The edges of the sanding discs will cut right through the first few layers of tape in just a split second at speed.

Both came out looking like this.

Last edited by justin455; 02-01-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine were horrable. I started wetsanding with 1000 and went all the way out to 2000. Then I cleared them with the rest of my body parts. They still look new
Old 02-01-2013, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Great job man. Also the bolt holding on the bumper is classic haha

Originally Posted by justin455
This. I picked up a bottle of Meguiar's Plastic polish to do the polishing part though. Did my girlfriend's headlights about a month ago.

They were pretty bad with etched in bird poop on the driver's side. Spend a little time doing it right, follow the directions, and it'll work. Definitely spend some time taping off. I spent 3/4 of my time on taping doing about 3-4 layers in most spots and her paint is crap as you can see. The edges of the sanding discs will cut right through the first few layers of tape in just a split second at speed.

Both came out looking like this.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:53 PM
Teching In

The kit I used was McGuire's with a cordless drill on slow. I am going to try and post pics of the film I think is on there.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:29 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LOHRTBT
Great job man. Also the bolt holding on the bumper is classic haha
The bottom of the bumper is held in place with zip-ties. Definitely not my doing. I'm slowly fixing things the correct way starting with the most dangerous ones i.e. the foggy lights with bulbs that were probably only putting out 1/5 their original output.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Look into getting the sylvania headlight kit. It's the best one that I have used.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:22 AM

Wow those came out nice LOHRTBT! I guess it just takes some elbow grease =D
Old 02-07-2013, 09:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have wetsanded and polished a bunch of headlights. One set on a mustang had oxidation on the inside, so it stayed cloudy.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:29 AM
Staging Lane

Wet sanding is the most effective in my book. I rushed my first set of lights and didn't notice a difference at all. But after going back and taking my time i have restored some pretty ugly lights back to an almost new look.

I recently tried the turtle wax headlight restore kit and it worked pretty well. The sanding pads in the kit make thing a hell of alot easier.

Just my 2 pennies

Quick Reply: Cannot get headlights to buff out