TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maxplusten

Ill take that measurement for you when i get home this evening
thank you sir
Old 02-06-2013, 10:11 AM
TECH Resident

Subscribed. I too like the OEM look, but want a fancier wheel. On frrax.com, there is a thread on wheel size in regards to performance driving and the pluses and minuses of different diameter wheels. With that said, can you take measurments?

Also, if you can, compare weights! If it shaves off 4-5 lbs, even better!

I, for one, do want an functional airbag, though.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I looked at a pic of the rear of a C6 air bag and there are only two 2-pin plugs on it. One for the bag itself and one for the horn. I doubt the connector to the air bag is any sort of data bus because there are only 2 pins, which should be power and ground. To have data you'd need a 3rd pin more than likely. Power applied = airbag pop.

But as mentioned one issue could be airbag system reading the different airbag properly. Not sure what the resistance is that it looks for and what the resistance of the newer airbag is. Might take some testing but I'd be standing far, far back when doing that!
Old 02-06-2013, 11:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
Subscribed. I too like the OEM look, but want a fancier wheel. On frrax.com, there is a thread on wheel size in regards to performance driving and the pluses and minuses of different diameter wheels. With that said, can you take measurments?

Also, if you can, compare weights! If it shaves off 4-5 lbs, even better!

I, for one, do want an functional airbag, though.
Weight wise (although i havent tested either wheel fully assymbled) the vette wheel feels about the same as the f-body wheel. Ill get some measurements tonight

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I looked at a pic of the rear of a C6 air bag and there are only two 2-pin plugs on it. One for the bag itself and one for the horn. I doubt the connector to the air bag is any sort of data bus because there are only 2 pins, which should be power and ground. To have data you'd need a 3rd pin more than likely. Power applied = airbag pop.

But as mentioned one issue could be airbag system reading the different airbag properly. Not sure what the resistance is that it looks for and what the resistance of the newer airbag is. Might take some testing but I'd be standing far, far back when doing that!
If it comes down to a matter or resistance thats easy enough as long as the Vette bag is lower. Should be as simple as making a harness that will step it up to the correct resistance using inline resistors. If the vette bag is higher then that could be a problem unless you could somehow bypass and trick the light. Im not 100% certain there all the same bag. I know the newer style 12 and ups have 4 wires coming out of the back of the bag itself in addition to the horn.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I was looking at a bag from a 2010. That older style 2 pin is probably what you'd want to stick with.

If the resistance of the newer bag is higher than the old, you can put resistors in parallel to make the circuit resistance lower. I just don't know how that might affect bag deployment. Same goes with putting resistors in series if the bag resistance is lower than the old. I'm curious actually what the sense voltage the fbody and the C6 are sending to the bags without deploying.

Last edited by SparkyJJO; 02-06-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:01 PM
Staging Lane

This seems like an awesome mod. Subscribed!!
Old 02-06-2013, 12:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

in for results of this.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

Ill be honest, if the bag thing gets to complicated I probably wont hook it up. Im doing some research but i havent decided if its worth it or not.

The wheel diameter is 14.5 inches... not sure yet on the f-body wheel, that involves walking to the garage and im feeling lazy at the moment lol. Ill put them both on a scale this weekend as well without bags
Old 02-06-2013, 06:22 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Oh I want to see the end result of this. THIS is what I've been thinking about for a while. I was originally going to use the GTO wheel, but that Vette wheel looks the sex.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:52 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Really cool project. Good luck with it.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

Good luck. In for results
Old 02-08-2013, 01:23 PM
TECH Regular

update!
Old 02-08-2013, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Cool project and lots of luck to completion man. Be VERY patient and take lots of pictures disassembling the steering shaft. It is tedious times 100. I swapped my upper shaft in my 95 Trans Am back 9-10 years ago so I could run the thick rim 01-03 Grand Prix whee( looking back, this wheel is UGLY as sin) l. The steering shaft from the GP swapped right over. Looking at your Vette shaft, it appears it will do the same, given the claw dimensions are the same, Im assuming they will be. Just going off logic it would make sense that any type steering shaft joint like that, for the sake of cost savings is gonna use the same nylon spherical bushing.

The airbag stuff though, I am not so optimistic about, since Can-bus systems send varied voltage pulsed signals. In my past experience trying to cross the new can-bus items into and older electrical system, it just doesn't work. A can bus radio will not operate on 12 volts, I tried to power a can-bus adaptive projector headlight module from a Opel Astra VXr with 12 volts and could not get any of the 3 servo motors in the assembly to power up. I would be scared 1 of the bag blowing when powered up, or if it didnt blow, I would be worried about it firing when your driving. My guess is the bag simply would not function at all. Any older hot rod Ive seen that has used retro'd in can-bus powered electronics including airbags, have retro'd the entire OEM can-bus electrical system from the donar car.

If you cant power the bag and since I think your gonna be successful retro'ing the shaft, you will likely be-able to just unbolt the inflator from the back of the airbag cover. On the 01 Grand Prix airbag cover I had, the inflator was retained with bolts. Unlike the F-body bags which is permanent mounted( theoretically ). I just unbolted the inflator and used the OEM cover. No worries of the bag going off and it since the bag still remains you dont have to worry bout the cover collapsing on the front side. Another thing to note, if you still want the horn to work, in the disassembly and reassembly process don't let your OEM clock-spring rotate out of it's normal range, it can be damaged. If damaged it wont transfer any power.

Good luck with everything man. I liked that wheel alot when I had my 09 Cobalt SS.

Here's a pic of the GP wheel in my car to back myself up on what I said about the shaft to show Im not talking out my ***
Name:  ta22.jpg
Views: 5568
Size:  72.5 KB

Last edited by LT4vert; 02-08-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

awesome! thanks for the info, any good resources on taking the column apart? i found one at one time but for the life of me cant located it anymore
Old 02-08-2013, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I couldnt find at the time. It sucks when you get into the less often traveled topics how-to's are like finding a flying elephant. I will say if your mechanically inclined you wont have a problem. Theres alot of small parts, pay very close attention to how you dis assemble and do take lots and lots of pictures and lay it out in the order you remove. Most definitely have a good pair of snap ring pliers. Its not hard just tedious. If you forget how stuff goes back together like I did on a couple things it gets baffling. When I disassembled mine instead of reassembling the same day when its all fresh in your head, I let a month lapse. Mistake
Old 02-09-2013, 01:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

hmmmm, thanks a lot maxplusten
now I have another project to do
Old 02-09-2013, 07:16 AM
TECH Resident

welcome
Old 02-09-2013, 09:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I must have this. Money and labor are no option!
Old 02-09-2013, 12:54 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep. I've made up my mind as well. I'm grabbing a GTO wheel and doing it.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

I'll be starting on it the weekend after next. I didnt have time to grab a bag and test everything before motorama. If i were trailering it there it would be a different story but I gotta drive her now unfortunately. But worry not, this is coming soon with full high res pics.

Quick Reply: Write Up: C6 Steering Wheel in an F-body