Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Write Up: C6 Steering Wheel in an F-body

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got my stuff today i will either install tomorrow(6/6/2019) or the day after i will report back with pics
Old 06-06-2019, 03:05 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome! Excited to see how the install goes!
Old 06-10-2019, 09:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Fieroluke I still need to send payment I haven’t forgotten.
Cole Train have you had a chance to install yet?
Old 06-11-2019, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LetsRide
Fieroluke I still need to send payment I haven’t forgotten.
Cole Train have you had a chance to install yet?
I started to do it but ran out of time last weekend. I should be able to get finished this coming weekend. Also I'm working on an Fbody specific wiring diagram to aid anyone that does it. I fell down the rabbit hole with the wiring description and struggled until I started drawing it out.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

quick update. There is an issue that came up, nothing that anyone could have foreseen so we are working thru them. Currently it's a cruise issue that appears to be unique to my setup and Oliver is working on seeing if he can get something figured out. Its slow going so it may be a bit yet. So far i have illumination and it dims as it should but my cruise functions seem to be working thru my radio controls lol
Old 06-23-2019, 08:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the update. Look forward to seeing more updates as I need to send payment for one ASAP.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

turns out GM didn't wire all the wheel harnesses the same(why would they lol). We narrowed my issues down to 4 wires to the harness in the wheel that needed to be swapped around and now my wheel functions as it should. The issues i had were nothing to do with Olivers unit as he built them to work according to his wheel. He helped a ton to figure out the issues so i can't say how much i appreciate his help. I need to remap my buttons but once i do that it'll be good to go if you get a wheel, let me know what it's from and i can give you some pointers on how to wire it if it has issues

p.s. my issue was i had no radio control and my cruise worked thru my radio buttons lol

Last edited by Cole Train; 06-27-2019 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Cole Train
turns out GM didn't wire all the wheel harnesses the same(why would they lol). We narrowed my issues down to 4 wires to the harness in the wheel that needed to be swapped around and now my wheel functions as it should. The issues i had were nothing to do with Olivers unit as he built them to work according to his wheel. He helped a ton to figure out the issues so i can't say how much i appreciate his help. I need to remap my buttons but once i do that it'll be good to go if you get a wheel, let me know what it's from and i can give you some pointers on how to wire it if it has issues

p.s. my issue was i had no radio control and my cruise worked thru my radio buttons lol
Glad it's working now!
Old 08-06-2019, 05:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Any updates or video as to how the cruise adapter works? Paid for one and it’s on the way so I’m excited thanks again to both of you for the development of both boards.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:10 PM
Teching In

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I am nearly finished with my swap. I used a 2008 Vette wheel and a 2006 Chevy 2500 airbag with a Cobalt airbag cover. Wiring in the steering wheel controls was a PITA. I still don't know if I have it correct. The Vol + button doesn't work at all, but the other ones do. My PAC CP2 doesn't register any input when I push the VOL + button so I assume the button is bad. I have ordered a replacement SWC. There are five wires coming from the SWC harness, I can only figure out what 4 of them do. Any idea's as to what the 5th wire is for?

Wires are:
Black: ground
Purple with white stripe: 12 V
Yellow: Illumination
Blue: SWC signal
Brown: ?
The following users liked this post:
transam5.7lt1 (09-19-2019)
Old 09-21-2019, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

You may have the issue i had. My cruise buttons worked on the stereo control side and my cruise side didn't work at all. The pigtail in the wheel was different from the factory buttons. Took some searching to find the pinout but once i did i just had to swap around a few pins and then everything worked
Old 09-23-2019, 11:25 AM
Teching In

You may have the issue i had. My cruise buttons worked on the stereo control side and my cruise side didn't work at all. The pigtail in the wheel was different from the factory buttons. Took some searching to find the pinout but once i did i just had to swap around a few pins and then everything worked
I retained the column switch for my cruise control. Are you thinking that the 5th wire (brown) that I can't figure out is for the Vette cruise?
Old 09-24-2019, 02:45 AM
Launching!

I don't think eff10mm is using my circuit board, I think he's just using the Pac-Audio interface and kept the column cruise switch...
Old 09-24-2019, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fieroluke
I don't think eff10mm is using my circuit board, I think he's just using the Pac-Audio interface and kept the column cruise switch...
I was going to do the CC with Fieroluke's board, but the PM's went crazy with **** ads and I had to turn off my PM's on this site. After the mods fixed the spamming I couldn't get my PM activated again for several weeks. In the meantime I just opted to get a standard Corvette wheel from a 2008. It only has the 5 buttons on the right for stereo controls. It has the 4 pin SWC module. The 2008 also uses a 5 pin module, but I don't know why they use a two different SWC units.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by eff10mm
I was going to do the CC with Fieroluke's board, but the PM's went crazy with **** ads and I had to turn off my PM's on this site. After the mods fixed the spamming I couldn't get my PM activated again for several weeks. In the meantime I just opted to get a standard Corvette wheel from a 2008. It only has the 5 buttons on the right for stereo controls. It has the 4 pin SWC module. The 2008 also uses a 5 pin module, but I don't know why they use a two different SWC units.
Yeah, GM seems to go crazy with the pinouts and they seem to be different across cars and versions. At least the wiring colors are usually mosly the same, but even that isn't certain.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:45 PM
Teching In

Okay, I cannot get the Vol + button to work. I am using a Corvette wheel with the Corvette right hand side SWC. I have a PAC2 interface with a Kenwood stereo. Everything worked fine with my old steering wheel controls. I changed to the Vette wheel and I can get all the buttons to function with the exception of VOL +. I ordered a brand new SWC for the Vette wheel and put it in today. Just the Vol+ won't work again. The PAC2 doesn't register any signal when that button is pressed. Help! I don't get what's going on with this.

The PAC Audio troubleshooting guide says to ground everything at the same place or to chassis ground. I think this must be the problem, but I don't know what ground I'm missing or is insufficient.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by OnyxZ28

So no switching shafts with this one?
The following users liked this post:
trodo302 (11-22-2019)
Old 05-15-2020, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by warriorpluto
So no switching shafts with this one?
Correct. It's the route i went on mine.
Old 06-12-2020, 08:50 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct. It's the route i went on mine.
Will the clockspring still fit with using the Grant 3196 kit? Also, does your horn still work? I'm trying to go this route as well. Thanks in advance
Old 11-25-2021, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I’m having two problems

Problem #1: My Airbag Cover will not fully secure and lock into place. It will settle in and won’t come out while driving but I can still remove it rather easily by hand.

Problem #2 I am having problems getting the cruise control to work. It works on the stalk but the Cruise Control buttons on the steering wheel do nothing. Volume controls work fine. My cruise adapter is wired into the long connector under the dash and also the illumination wire is interrupted between the 4 wire connector under the dash into the Cruise box and to an illumination signal wire on the body harness. That’s what I got from the instructions…

Is there any way I can get some visual reference as per what wires I really need to be connecting?

Quick Reply: Write Up: C6 Steering Wheel in an F-body