Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
View Poll Results: Tops or not
do the T-Tops
21.69%
someone should slap the OP for even think about cutting it.
78.31%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

T-Tops or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 10:45 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TyCZ28
yeah i know how selection options works for rarity.. thts why i looked up an rpo search with just key points...

there were about 36 true SS cars ever with a white interior from the factory in 98. of those 36 only 2 were silver one T top auto the other a hardtop M6 (mine)

in all 5 years of production i think there were only around 15 silver SS cars with a factory arctic white interior. thats the only reason i didnt ditch my interior and why my racing seats are white leather so that i keep at least a little bit of its originality.. i have the original white fronts in storage in case ill ever need them.
Let's look at it this way, OP. You have a car that you probably already care for and have started to modify and make your own. It has a rare option that doesn't make it any more valuable than a car without that option. Here are the 3 options that I've gathered from this thread...

1. You could keep your car and keep it hardtop. If you really want T-Tops then you're probably not gonna be happy until you have them.

2. You could cut T-Tops into the car you already own and already have started to make your own with mod money you've put into it. Doing this won't actually hurt the value, and might actually make it worth more to the right buyer down the road if you ever sell. (if people have a preference, they're more likely to prefer T-Tops over hardtop)

3. You could sell the car you already have money into, spend the time looking for a new one, hassle with reregistering and paying sales tax again, probably have to redo the mods on that you've already done to your car, and in the end you don't even have the white seats that you really like.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hard top all the way. Plus there aren't as many V8 hardtops as t-tops. Ive yet to find a car with the same build out as mine.

2000 1SC/1SZ 6spd (Only came in peuter color)
Manual everything
No cruise
No rear defrost
No fogs
No upgraded radio
OE tires were not z-rated so top speed limited to 115mph!!

Stripper FTW
Old 02-22-2013, 12:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by justin455
Let's look at it this way, OP. You have a car that you probably already care for and have started to modify and make your own. It has a rare option that doesn't make it any more valuable than a car without that option. Here are the 3 options that I've gathered from this thread...

1. You could keep your car and keep it hardtop. If you really want T-Tops then you're probably not gonna be happy until you have them.

2. You could cut T-Tops into the car you already own and already have started to make your own with mod money you've put into it. Doing this won't actually hurt the value, and might actually make it worth more to the right buyer down the road if you ever sell. (if people have a preference, they're more likely to prefer T-Tops over hardtop)

3. You could sell the car you already have money into, spend the time looking for a new one, hassle with reregistering and paying sales tax again, probably have to redo the mods on that you've already done to your car, and in the end you don't even have the white seats that you really like.
this man is a logical thinker Do # 2 and be happy with your ride!

as far as people who use them vs those who dont, of course that has a lot to do with where you live. I doubt anyone in places like hot *** Arizona is ever rolling around with the tops off, convertible down, or even the windows rolled down... they have the darkest tint and keep everything closed up as much as possible with the AC on blast 24/7. And of course people in colder areas, places with lots or rain or snow, etc. California weather loves t-tops and convertibles though (at least the parts worth being in lol)
Old 02-23-2013, 10:49 AM
Launching!

I had the tops out in November crusing down the highway at 75! They will come out every chance i get. I would not own one of these any other way!!
I had the mentality with my last ride that I wanted to keep it origional as possible body wise... but for what, and for that matter, for who!? The car is yours man, keep it yours and don't keep a car a certain way for "the next guy" IMO. Life is too short not to do what you want. looking to future value or the next owner is no way to enjoy owning one of these. You are one of the few that gets to have one of these amazing cars, enjoy it to the fullest, and enjoy it for you...
Old 02-24-2013, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

No, please don't convert it.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

My buddy has T-tops and I've known him for 5+ years and I don't think I've ever seen them off the car...I like my hardtop and would never change it.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:29 PM
Teching In

I take my T-Tops out whenever possible. I agree with MMWS6, life is too short. Do what you want to your car.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:45 AM
Teching In

I have a 300zx and if it is not blazing hot, you will never see my t-tops on the car.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MMWS6
I had the tops out in November crusing down the highway at 75! They will come out every chance i get. I would not own one of these any other way!!
I had the mentality with my last ride that I wanted to keep it origional as possible body wise... but for what, and for that matter, for who!? The car is yours man, keep it yours and don't keep a car a certain way for "the next guy" IMO. Life is too short not to do what you want. looking to future value or the next owner is no way to enjoy owning one of these. You are one of the few that gets to have one of these amazing cars, enjoy it to the fullest, and enjoy it for you...
This man speaks the truth. Best post in the thread.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:22 AM
Launching!

Im still trying to process 1 good reason for Y would I want to drive a hard top F-Body !!
Old 02-25-2013, 10:34 AM
11 Second Club

OP you should get some TTops in there, they're awesome for the summer!
Old 02-26-2013, 01:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Reaperchild
Im still trying to process 1 good reason for Y would I want to drive a hard top F-Body !!
They do look better... It's just a fact
Old 02-27-2013, 01:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Reaperchild
Structural rigidity
Old 02-27-2013, 04:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ssrogers
Structural rigidity
sfc's.

And my ttops are off as much as possible. I like the look of ttops better than hard tops
Old 02-27-2013, 09:03 AM
TECH Veteran

yeah, I love having the tops off. can't beat a nice drive with the tops off and the windows down!

Originally Posted by 94 White T/A
I like the look of ttops better than hard tops
with them on, or off? when they're off, the car looks good. but with them on, that extra trim/molding at their sides/top of door windows, and the center bar do nothing for the car. won't say it looks terrible, but comparing the two...

nice and clean
http://www.flickr.com/photos/la-rue/8347207171/
not so much
http://www.flickr.com/photos/la-rue/7916090772/
Old 02-27-2013, 09:12 AM
Launching!

See, too me, the t-tops look way better. Something about the look of the t's that just makes it all come together. And Crimson... fan-friggin-tastic job on the TA, looks amazing!
Old 02-27-2013, 01:40 PM
12 Second Club

The T-tops look way dated imo and to be honest I dont think they look good on or off the car. You would think that since gm had t-top fbodys in the late 70s they would of figured out a way to make the 4th gen cars with a targa top so it could look clean with the roof on and still have a removable roof. I like 6le's targa and will probably get one in the future, I'm just not a fan of the 5th gen style roof lines it has since it doesnt flow with the whole roof.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

Convertible w/ wolfe roll bar - best of both worlds.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
yeah, I love having the tops off. can't beat a nice drive with the tops off and the windows down!

with them on, or off? when they're off, the car looks good. but with them on, that extra trim/molding at their sides/top of door windows, and the center bar do nothing for the car. won't say it looks terrible, but comparing the two...

nice and clean

not so much
I see what you mean, but most hard top cars i see are all body color and i think that looks odd on these cars. I enjoy the black sail panel, dark tinted glass/ttop combo. But that camaro does look cleaner with it all being black.

I guess from the standing angle all the moldings dont bother me much, but i might just be used to them, haha
Old 02-28-2013, 12:48 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 94 White T/A
sfc's.
Do what?

Quick Reply: T-Tops or not?