Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Window Tint Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I worked a summer job detailing cars car brite had a solvent called all sol it wipes glue away effortlessly and isn't harmfal to your paint or interior if u could find some of that it works great on the rear hatch and anything else u could think of
Old 02-27-2013, 10:38 PM
TECH Regular

wonder if you used decal remover to take the glue off? Seems kinda like the same principal of taking glue off.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

3m also makes an adhesive remover I used on my truck to remove the ugly chrome rocker panel the previous owner put on. It is in a tin can and I purchased it at a autobody store it works well to it was around $17 but its a good bit
Old 03-11-2013, 10:32 PM
TECH Regular

So Tried pretty much every thing everybody has said short of using a heat gun and that **** it stuck on good. warm soapy water with 3 different kinds of soap, tried aircraft paint remover, its litterally stuck on their good! Gonna get some 3M adhesive remover this week and try it this weekend.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:00 PM
Teching In

We've all seen tinted windows that are purple and bubbled, it's from using Windex. The reason they tell you not to use regular Windex on tinted widows is that the ammonia in it will eat the tint.

Put some ammonia in a spray bottle and mist it on the windows. Cover the widow with a trash bag or sheet plastic, smoothing out any air bubbles. Let it sit for an hour. Remove the bag and wipe off any excess ammonia. You will then be able to remove the tint with a plastic paint scraper, wipe it off with a wet rag, or with your fingers. This way will make sure you can remove all the tint without damaging the rear window defroster. You'll want to wear a respirator with the proper cartridge if you are working inside the car, or park outside and work from the outside just takes a little longer to reach everything.

Last edited by kenji226; 03-12-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:22 AM
TECH Addict

Please don't use a razor.

Rubbing alcohol works perfectly fine.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kenji226
We've all seen tinted windows that are purple and bubbled, it's from using Windex. The reason they tell you not to use regular Windex on tinted widows is that the ammonia in it will eat the tint.
Yes but 99% of the reason they turn purple is because it is cheap tint. Use something like Llumar and you'll be set for life.

I had it on my windows for about 10 years and finally got tired of a small scratch I had so I had the guys put on new tint. I don't know if they have a new formula or something but their tint is much easier to see out of and seems to have a slight green tint to it from the inside. It's nice from the perspective that I can see outside my rear window at night but I don't believe it is as dark.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I removed mine from my 94 due to my ticket. I used 50%alcohol and 50% water with a blade. Took it off extremely easy.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:35 PM
Teching In

side windows best thing is to just peel off tint using razor blade to get started, spray with aerosol glass cleaner and scrape with a new razor blade. go over it again with 00 steel wool to get any missed adhesive

Back window (with rear defrost) remove tint like side windows but be careful around the grid. Spray with aerosol glass cleaner and only use the steel wool, using a razor blade could damage the defroster.

Clean windows and its a wrap!!!
Old 03-13-2013, 07:38 PM
Teching In

be careful if you use ammonia it may discolor the plastics if it sets on it too long. this way works but it can be a pita.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:24 PM
TECH Regular

Did i mention the previous owners violently ripped the tint off and left the glue on the windows so its a haze? Took my lil butane torch and heated up the outside of the window then went ti the inside and burned the glue till it started to curl i used a plastic scraper and got 25% of the glue off one window before i ran out of butane. But it seems to be doing a fairly decent job of taking the glue off lil strips at a time though!

Quick Reply: Window Tint Removal