Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Powdercoated/Hydro Dipped Stock Rims - Post them up!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Powdercoated/Hydro Dipped Stock Rims - Post them up!

Currently debating having my stock 17" polished aluminum wheels sandblasted and coated. Debating color schemes right now. My car is arctic white as pictured in my avatar.

I've found a local company that is offering some killer deals. All four wheels blasted and coated for $260. Really thinking about going with a carbon fiber look, but would love to see some examples.

Anyone here running stock rims with power/hydro dipped finishes?
Old 04-05-2013, 05:04 PM
Staging Lane

Here are my recently powdered WS6 sportlines on my Formy.

Here is a closeup of that same powder but on my exhaust tips with an acrylic clear over them.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

The image didn't copy... oops. Here'a another try.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:28 PM
12 Second Club

Which place??? CPC?
Old 04-05-2013, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first vote is anything other than black. If I see another black rim on a car I'll puke.

My real vote goes to a silver/grey/gunmetal sort of color. Something lighter than what Smithwick posted. I love the shade I had mine powdered in.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2QuikTA
My first vote is anything other than black. If I see another black rim on a car I'll puke.

My real vote goes to a silver/grey/gunmetal sort of color. Something lighter than what Smithwick posted. I love the shade I had mine powdered in.
The funny thing about this is that my powder is a combo of gunmetal, and bronze.... whatever
Old 04-05-2013, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Smithwick88
The funny thing about this is that my powder is a combo of gunmetal, and bronze.... whatever
Maybe it's the picture/light, but yours are too dark for my taste. As long as you're happy with them, I'm happy for you.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

Maybe it's the picture/light, but yours are too dark for my taste. As long as you're happy with them, I'm happy for you.
No, I get it. You're right actually, the pictures I took have bad lighting and on a silver car the metering on my camera throw's the white balance off so they look way darker then they are. In life they are gray from the side and bronze in reflecting light. I'm thinking whenever these tires eventually go I may have them cleared the same as the tips I posted, that is if I even have this car then. No harm taken man.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

I like the color on these wheels or like an anthracite color, my biggest problem with wheels on these cars these days are the fake rivots companies feel they have to put on to make them look like 2 or 3 piece wheels or whatever they're called. I stick with stock wheels or the ole ZR1 because of this.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:10 PM
Teching In

I had my speedlines powdercoated in black and paint code matched red. It was $195 per wheel including mount and balancing. A little more than I thought it would be, but they had to tape off the spokes by hand which takes a lot of time to make all the spokes match.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Smithwick88
I like the color on these wheels or like an anthracite color, my biggest problem with wheels on these cars these days are the fake rivots companies feel they have to put on to make them look like 2 or 3 piece wheels or whatever they're called. I stick with stock wheels or the ole ZR1 because of this.
The original color of them is "hyperblack", but I had them powdered to something close and the lips done different since I really liked the color, they just needed a freshen. I like the look of the rivets fake and all. I've seen pictures with people getting rid of the rivets and to me it just doesn't have that "look". I never try to pass them off as any sort of 3 piece wheel anyway.

Your up close picture of the exhaust tip looks alright, just on the car it looks darker.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kenji226
I had my speedlines powdercoated in black and paint code matched red. It was $195 per wheel including mount and balancing. A little more than I thought it would be, but they had to tape off the spokes by hand which takes a lot of time to make all the spokes match.

These rims came out nice, they go great with the car
Old 04-06-2013, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine were stock SS 10 spokes that I had powdercoated to look like 35th's

[IMG]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a360/nascarnate326/Camaro/IMG_6020.jpg[IMG]

Old 04-06-2013, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by White6SpdZ28
Which place??? CPC?
Yes, CPC Coatings. $260 for four wheels seems like an awesome deal.

I hear you. I'm not a huge fan of the white car/black wheel combo. Just not my cup of tea I suppose. I was thinking something along the lines of a carbon fiber or gunmetal grey type of finish. It's just hard to picture without really having anything to compare it with.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:58 PM
Trunion King

How about stock (GM) looking wheel?

Anthracite grey metallic is the color.

When the light is shining directly to it, it shows this color... however without direct light, it looks black.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bene
How about stock (GM) looking wheel?

Anthracite grey metallic is the color.

When the light is shining directly to it, it shows this color... however without direct light, it looks black.
Now THAT looks badass.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:06 PM
12 Second Club

I actually asked him about repairing rims, and he said he repairs them for free. I'm tempted cause the price is so good.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by White6SpdZ28
I actually asked him about repairing rims, and he said he repairs them for free. I'm tempted cause the price is so good.
What kind of repairs are you referring to?

Mine could use to be stripped completely, cleared, and polished. I'll either go that route, or have them coated in a completely different color. I just need these wheels to look nice for a few years until I can convince my wife that my WS6 needs some Fikses!
Old 04-09-2013, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

OMG! I hear you brother. That "Murdered Out" look has been SO overplayed IMO.

To me, this looks really good. I owned only 1 white car in my lifetime and after I waxed it too many times, it had a yellow tint. Still, I would go with a high metallic finish Silver, Blue'd Gunmetal or blackened Chrome with a chrome (polished) lip.

I was always kind of wondering what this would look like when done. Now that you know...I personally wouldn't do this, but it isn't that bad!
Originally Posted by kenji226

Old 04-09-2013, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DOC-Z
OMG! I hear you brother. That "Murdered Out" look has been SO overplayed IMO.
You can order family haulers from the factory with black rims. It's done.

Quick Reply: Powdercoated/Hydro Dipped Stock Rims - Post them up!