Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

01' Mustang GT full correction

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 03:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Fantastic work man! How many days/hours in that job?
Old 05-29-2013, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man looks like you sure did spend some time on this, good work!
Old 05-30-2013, 06:21 AM
TECH Addict

Nice work. Couple of questions......

-Do you put any car shampoo in the Foammaster II foam gun?
-How much shampoo did you add vs. water?
-Did you foam prior to using iron-x?
-Do you foam after iron-x?
-What are your thoughts on the Nanoskin vs. Clay bar. I am thinking about picking one up.

Products on my bucket list: Adams DWC, Iron X, Nanoskin, Foam gun.

Thanks
Old 05-30-2013, 10:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 862 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
Nice work. Couple of questions......

-Do you put any car shampoo in the Foammaster II foam gun?
-How much shampoo did you add vs. water?
-Did you foam prior to using iron-x?
-Do you foam after iron-x?
-What are your thoughts on the Nanoskin vs. Clay bar. I am thinking about picking one up.

Products on my bucket list: Adams DWC, Iron X, Nanoskin, Foam gun.

Thanks
I use Dawn/APC+/Adams car shampoo in the foam gun for the presoak. I put about two ounces of each and fill the rest up with water. If i'm doing a normal wash I use 2-3 oz of car shampoo and fill the rest up with water.

I always foam when I wash not just whe I use Iron X.
I don't foam after Iron X.

I'm pickup up the Nanoskin Autoscrub today. The Charger I'm doing right now has all sorts of stuff stuck to the paint. If I would clay it by hand it would probably take 5-6 hours(it's that bad)so it's worth it in this case to use to the autoscrub.

If the car wasn't this bad I would clay it by hand. I think it's an extra step breaking out the D/A just to clay a car, but with this Charger it's going to be worth it.

I've read a lot of good things about the nanoskin was mitts and towels but haven't used them yet. I'm sure I will pick one up in the future. Stick with the fine grade unless you are planning on polishing.

I hope this helps.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

So you did.....

Rinse
Foam w/ dawn/APC/shampoo
Two bucket Wash while foamed
Rinse
Iron-X
Rinse

I've never used a foam gun or Iron X, so sorry for the dumb questions and thread hijack.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Thanks Rare. I always appreciate your posts. Damn right it cuts quick. Defect killer!
Thanks man. Funny how that "Ask a Professional Detailer" thread spawned a few professional detailers. Let me know if you ever need a hand on anything. I'm about 45 minutes southwest of Chicago.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

amazing man, simply amazing.

So how much would you charge someone to do all of this just for the labor if you had to?

Just wondering.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:37 PM
TECH Junkie

You brought that car back. Great work on it.

Need to break out the stuff and do this to mine but I'm trying to get my car legal for the road again since I had issues with my insurance company and had the state send a letter wanting my tag.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
So you did.....

Rinse
Foam w/ dawn/APC/shampoo
Two bucket Wash while foamed
Rinse
Iron-X
Rinse

I've never used a foam gun or Iron X, so sorry for the dumb questions and thread hijack.

It's cool man, no worries. You are correct on the order, you want to dry the car before you Iron X it, if there is a bunch of water on it it will dilute the Iron X. You spray the Iron X on and let it dwell and the car will start bleeding purple if there are ferrous metals in the paint. After you let it dwell take a soft sponge, I use a grout sponge from lowes and glide it over the paint. The helps agitate and break loose the ferrous metal. The rinse really well. Oh, don't let the Iron X dry on the paint.

After that you would clay/nanoskin to complete the decon process. If there's anymore questions let me know. If I don't know the answer I will find someone who does.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
amazing man, simply amazing.

So how much would you charge someone to do all of this just for the labor if you had to?

Just wondering.
I'm not quite understanding what you're asking.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome!

Flow master on a mustang...how original. Lol.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by egott_91
Awesome!

Flow master on a mustang...how original. Lol.
I know right? lol. I thought the same thing when I was taking the picture.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not quite understanding what you're asking.
I'm just asking how much would you charge someone for labor to do what you did with that GT. Without the cost of all the product you used, just labor.

Reason being, from past experience, it looks like it was extensive. But you did everything that, that car really needed and it came out beautiful.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
Thanks man. Funny how that "Ask a Professional Detailer" thread spawned a few professional detailers. Let me know if you ever need a hand on anything. I'm about 45 minutes southwest of Chicago.
I don't consider myself a "professional" by any means but I get what you are saying. I'm sure Autogeek's stock went up after Jeff posted that thread. I wish you were a little bit closer I would take you up on the offer. I think you are about six hours north of me.

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
I'm just asking how much would you charge someone for labor to do what you did with that GT. Without the cost of all the product you used, just labor.

Reason being, from past experience, it looks like it was extensive. But you did everything that, that car really needed and it came out beautiful.
I can't answer that. The reason is I charge a flat hourly rate, I don't add anything on for the cost of the products I use unless it's Opti Coat because of how expensive it is. So the product cost is factored into my hourly rate. I don't ever know how much of whichever product I might use so there really is no way for me to say how much I would charge an hour minus the products.

I would only use the stuff I have because every car is different and I don't know 100% if product "A" and "B" are going to work on a particular vehicle. I have close to a dozen different compounds/polishes and probably just as many different type of pads. Does that make any sense? LOL.

This was a pretty extensive correction but there's been worse. The two things that help out greatly with this job is 1. FG400 and 2. The paint is extremely hard which finishes down nicely even when compounding. I probably would have had more time in this car if the paint would have been soft. I had right at 30 hours in this one.

Thanks for the kind words.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't answer that. The reason is I charge a flat hourly rate, I don't add anything on for the cost of the products I use unless it's Opti Coat because of how expensive it is. So the product cost is factored into my hourly rate. I don't ever know how much of whichever product I might use so there really is no way for me to say how much I would charge an hour minus the products.

I would only use the stuff I have because every car is different and I don't know 100% if product "A" and "B" are going to work on a particular vehicle. I have close to a dozen different compounds/polishes and probably just as many different type of pads. Does that make any sense? LOL.

This was a pretty extensive correction but there's been worse. The two things that help out greatly with this job is 1. FG400 and 2. The paint is extremely hard which finishes down nicely even when compounding. I probably would have had more time in this car if the paint would have been soft. I had right at 30 hours in this one.

Thanks for the kind words.

I was going to say I bet it was a decent amount of time. I've never seen a car transform as much as it did with this one.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll never own one, but those 2v Mustangs look absolutely great when they're all shined up, and sound soooooo good! Nice job!
Old 05-31-2013, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

I had right at 30 hours in this one.
I know you weren't particularly answering me, but I got what I wanted to know. You missed my simple question completely when replying back to us.

I hope you charge a decent amount. I charge a flat rate, but my breakdown of pay per hour is usually $20-30. Not too bad!
Old 05-31-2013, 07:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by HotWhipT/A
I know you weren't particularly answering me, but I got what I wanted to know. You missed my simple question completely when replying back to us.

I hope you charge a decent amount. I charge a flat rate, but my breakdown of pay per hour is usually $20-30. Not too bad!
I had missed your question previously. When I was reading through the thread this afternoon I saw it so that's why I made sure I said how much time I had in it. I apologize for not seeing sooner.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:01 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks man
Old 06-01-2013, 05:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice work! Looks way better.

Quick Reply: 01' Mustang GT full correction