Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

help on polishing ... please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 07:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help on polishing ... please!!!

I am in need of a write up or someone's help on polishing the a/c unit that's next to the battery and the brake lines that lead to the cylinder and other end... if u have any tips or a write up please let me know ..... thanks
Old 07-29-2013, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hard question to answer directly unless you specify what kind of equipment you have. Buffer? Air tools? By hand? I used several combinations of tools to blend welds, remove scratches, polish, etc. Mostly came down to patience, elbow grease, air or Dremel tools (specifically rubber cone bits) and sandpaper.

Mine...

For a buddy of mine....

Last edited by LPE 403; 07-29-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Brakes lines are coated...if you polish them, clear them.

Master cylinder (lol...thing on the other end) needs to follow the same process. Dremel with abrasive bits that vary in grit.

If youre serious and havent done it before, it might be easier to send it out. There's a **** ton of work to do it right.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

LPE, that is first class!

OP, paint and body sand paper followed by Adams metal polish will get you there, but like LPE said, patience is the name of the game. I have bare polished Fiske's on my ride, and when it comes to cleaning them up, it's time consuming.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great work man, that looks amazing!
Old 07-31-2013, 06:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 427zm
LPE, that is first class!

OP, paint and body sand paper followed by Adams metal polish will get you there, but like LPE said, patience is the name of the game. I have bare polished Fiske's on my ride, and when it comes to cleaning them up, it's time consuming.
Originally Posted by CamaroSS27
Great work man, that looks amazing!
Old 07-31-2013, 07:04 PM
Teching In

After polishing, send it to chrome to keep it looking good... Aluminum is a b**** to keep polished!
Old 08-01-2013, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

I have used Eagle One Never Dull the wadding polish in the silver can with good results.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Aluminum polishing really does come down to elbow grease.There are many variations of methods & products that can give pretty similar end results, though some can be much quicker.

Some sand a rough aluminum product a little & finish bringing it up with various power buffer pads & compounds. This is best for thicker parts. Others wet sand into very fine sandpaper grades &then just hand rub with the metal cleaning compound of THEIR choice. This is better for thinner parts like sheet metal thicknesses. This may be best for you for ac lines etc, especially in place.

FYI, most metal polishes are made with the same compounds used in sticks for power buffing. They are suspended in liquids such as mineral spirits. Some people make their own. Some products like white diamond have more solvent which cleans the metal faster. I personally like many of the green colored products for hand polishing installed parts, less messy than white. Grey colored products , like mothers power metal polish, are also less messy near other installed items.. Mothers billet, like lpe pictured, is one of THE best final stage products. Rubber cone bits, as mentioned, are really cool for dremel use on aluminum, if you can find them. Had some from black & decker before.
Google aluminum polishing. Much available info, but bottom line, pick something to try & get to work.

Last edited by jlcustomz; 08-03-2013 at 02:13 AM.

Quick Reply: help on polishing ... please!!!