Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

HELP: Need Detailer input!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 09:42 PM
Launching!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Exclamation HELP: Need Detailer input!

Anyone know why my paint looks dull when car headlights shine on it. During the day and in direct sunlight it looks great but for some reason when a car shines it lights on it, it looks like there is a layer of glaze on it. The car looks look great in the sun and horrible at night.

Detailed a month ago with:
H.F. DA
ultimate compound (orange)
ultimate polish (white)
NXT 2.0 (black)

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of this?

The glaze/dull look.

During the day:

Old 08-22-2013, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What pads did you use while polishing? Foam or microfiber?
Old 08-22-2013, 09:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems to me it could be either a illusion due to the halogen style light or the paint could still be a little cloudy from compounding and not polishing enough. Halogen style lights will bring out all defects in black paint. I use one when doing paint corrections in my garage. Makes a huge difference in the outcome.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by egott_91
What pads did you use while polishing? Foam or microfiber?
I used foam pads. (Adam's)

Originally Posted by Justins00ss
Seems to me it could be either a illusion due to the halogen style light or the paint could still be a little cloudy from compounding and not polishing enough. Halogen style lights will bring out all defects in black paint. I use one when doing paint corrections in my garage. Makes a huge difference in the outcome.
It only looks milky/chalky under a halogen light. I just picked up a halogen 500watt work light. Should I wash it with dawn soap and starting over or use polish it again?
Old 08-22-2013, 01:54 PM
11 Second Club

I honestly dont think polishing it again will get it better. I really do believe its just do to the Halogen light. How does it look in direct sun light outside?
Old 08-22-2013, 02:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's just the light that makes it looks like that.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree on the light being the cause...I dont think there is much that could be done to correct.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:17 PM
Launching!

It looks great in direct sun light and especially at dusk (like all black cars do ) it's just at night when the lights shine on it it looks milky/chalky. Hmmmm you guys are probably right about it just being the type of light. Just sucks, especially with everyone running these bright *** stark white headlights haha
Old 08-22-2013, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Take another pic real close up with the halogen work light shining on the panel. I just corrected my SS and heres a 500 watt shining on the black halo portion. If you still have the same hazy appearance there is something wrong. I like to see the paint super close up.
Attached Thumbnails HELP: Need Detailer input!-100_3021.jpg   HELP: Need Detailer input!-100_3007.jpg  
Old 08-22-2013, 05:19 PM
11 Second Club

I agree. Super close up it should not be cloudy.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:37 PM
Launching!

Well I put my 500watt halogen light up next to the paint and this is what you get.....milky/chalky as hell. So now I am going to dawn soap the car and start again. What do you guys recommend?? Ultimate polish and a white pad again or something else?

Old 08-23-2013, 09:50 AM
11 Second Club

hard to tell from the pics as the car is obviously dirty. I would give it a wash using a car based soap. Dry it really good and use a detail spray and see where your at. I know my black ss after sitting in my garage for a few days or a week will have a little film on it due to the humidity here in Florida. Even if its freshly waxed and I drive it that night and look at it the next morning it has a haze to it. Once I wipe it down its good to go. Just remember black cars show everything and get dirty real quick.

I will say the paint doesnt look bad. Need to have a nice clean surface to look at.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Camarokid327
Anyone know why my paint looks dull when car headlights shine on it. During the day and in direct sunlight it looks great but for some reason when a car shines it lights on it, it looks like there is a layer of glaze on it. The car looks look great in the sun and horrible at night.

Detailed a month ago with:
H.F. DA
ultimate compound (orange)
ultimate polish (white)
NXT 2.0 (black)

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of this?

The glaze/dull look.

During the day:

Wash and then clay bar the whole car to get the impurities out of the paint.Use Meguires swirl and scratch remover and then wipe it down reall good.Apply a thick portion of Meguires ""TECH WAX"" in paste form and buff it off completely by hand.This will make it shine like nothing you seen before. If you still see what you are saying milky look it is because the black has metallic properties in the paint and there is no way to get rid of it unless you repaint the car with a non metallic base paint. Metallic base paint means you can see little shimmers in the paint. Try it out and see what happens.Also certain black paint will have this effect.The only black that will not is tuxedo black.I had the same thing on my 97 Ram Air T/A

Last edited by ws6man29; 08-23-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Has your car ever been repainted?
Old 08-25-2013, 12:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 913 Likes on 653 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

The haziness you are seeing is actually the base coat. I've corrected several black vehicles that have been repainted and have seen this before. Whoever painted it didn't use the correct colored primer, not enough coats of base or a cheap basecoat for the repair. Basically the base coat is thin or isn't the same shade of black as the rest of the car. That's my best guess from looking at the pictures.

Quick Reply: HELP: Need Detailer input!