Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Illegal Tint

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Illegal Tint

Just purchased a 2005 GTO, went to DMV today. DMV said no reg until you have the tint removed. They have a record of wavier issued for a metal based tint that is illegal in Va. Is this something that I can do? or should I take it to a pro?
Old 10-18-2013, 09:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

U can do it urself, but its a pain in the ***, worse the older the tint is. I'd at least try urself first tho. Seen lots of threads here on removal.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:39 PM
TECH Regular

buy a $20 hand held steamer and a few razor blades, simple. my 96 jeep had horrible tint that would just flake when i scraped it but i bought the steamer and it came off in large chunks.

after its off, use rubbing alcohol to clean anything left over. dont payto have someone remove it
Old 10-18-2013, 09:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

do you plan to get tint added again after you get it registered? if so, I'd get it removed at a shop, and tell them you'll be back to get more put on, they'll probably factor it all together as one deal so that you pay next to nothing for the removal, if not free. The times Ive had to get new tint removed to have new tint installed, the shops removed the old stuff for free.

if you want to do it yourself, do what sick_tight mentioned and get yourself a decent steamer, that'll get the job done in the cleanest/easiest way.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

depends how properly it was installed and the quality of the existing tint, I see everone saying to use a steamer but on my last car, I just found an edge on each window and was able to rip it off in pieces, then a little glass cleaner and a razor blade to get the residue off didn't take long at all, also I wouldn't expect a store to give you a deal on removal unless they where installing new at that moment.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:16 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
depends how properly it was installed and the quality of the existing tint, I see everone saying to use a steamer but on my last car, I just found an edge on each window and was able to rip it off in pieces, then a little glass cleaner and a razor blade to get the residue off didn't take long at all, also I wouldn't expect a store to give you a deal on removal unless they where installing new at that moment.
i dont know how old the tint you were taking off was but if youve got some old tint it just flakes, with the steamer it pretty much removes all the adhesive with the steam and water and the film just comes off like wet paper (what happened with my jeep because the tint was cheap and faded purple) so it tore a little but i think i bought the cheapo walmart steamer for about $20 and i can still steam my uniforms and clothes so win win haha
Old 10-19-2013, 12:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

small bottle of goo-gone and a blade. Piece of cake. If its new tint, you just need windex.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:09 PM
12 Second Club

If you use a steamer there usually isnt any glue residue left to remove.

Quick Reply: Illegal Tint