Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

New product... What do you want to see?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
Unfortunately we tried. Could NOT get 2 let alone ten lol.
So if I can come up with ten(paid/prepaid) customers you would make them?? In a short amount of time I think I could make that happen!!!
Old 04-23-2015, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to see a set of non ricey led taillights for the f-body camaro.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:45 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2JAWZ
So if I can come up with ten(paid/prepaid) customers you would make them?? In a short amount of time I think I could make that happen!!!
Yup. 10 PREordes is needed. Two options... Fiberglass and Carbon Fiber.

FG 550, CF 950 BUT will take 4 months after we start.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mac62989
Ya the bottom cushion is in more need of some help than the sides
Agreed. Somehow my side bolsters are perfect but the seat bottom is trashed and I can't find one anywhere.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 353 Likes on 266 Posts

Perhaps a sort of bare bones coil relocation kit for the ls engine? Just a bracket with appropriate hardware to mount 4 coils together and let the end user pic the location, but maybe show a few recomendations to give people ideas?

might let you cater to not just the F-body crowd
Old 04-29-2015, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Looking forward to the new seats, you have coming out, but we deff need some cooler seats! Found these on Alibaba, they would look SICK in my Black 02 WS6 Vert....

Name:  Carbon_Fiber_Sport_Car_Seats_RECARO_Seats_zpszwbef5mu.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  74.7 KB

Name:  RECARO_Sport_Car_Seat_PVC_Racing_Chairs_zpsibdlacwv.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  57.8 KB

Name:  RECARO_car_seat_Racing_Seat_Adjustable_Seat_zpshv5vdcgh.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  65.0 KB
Old 04-29-2015, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Mark can chime in if I am wrong here, but the last 2 pics are or at least look just like the seats 6LE are basing theyre Z28 seats from just with different material options. I forget the name of company that makes them, but there are 2 Trans ams on this site using those seats. I light grey set and the other is black with red stitching.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LT4vert
Mark can chime in if I am wrong here, but the last 2 pics are or at least look just like the seats 6LE are basing theyre Z28 seats from just with different material options. I forget the name of company that makes them, but there are 2 Trans ams on this site using those seats. I light grey set and the other is black with red stitching.
Actually we tried those and there's about 3 other similar, but structurally different, seats we tried as well. The proportions looked close but then were wrong, and we found out how cheap the seats were made when we opened them lol.

We ended up using a base seat like that but then having to replace the entire inner backing (cheap FG that cracks when you do anything to it) and a couple metal bars. Then refoam the entire inner seat, trim to the new style covers and install.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:08 PM
Banned

^^I'll take pics on the next round.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
^^I'll take pics on the next round.
That is great to hear those enhancements were made. Ive seen some if the cheap stuff as well. We actually had fun destoying a seat in the shop once because it was comical how easy the upper frame bent and other areas flat out broke
Old 04-29-2015, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well this is the seat I'd like to have, over all, that I posted. I think all would be a very popular choice!

Name:  Carbon_Fiber_Sport_Car_Seats_RECARO_Seats_zpszwbef5mu.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  74.7 KB
Old 04-29-2015, 08:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RONIN LSX
Looking forward to the new seats, you have coming out, but we deff need some cooler seats! Found these on Alibaba, they would look SICK in my Black 02 WS6 Vert....

Originally Posted by LT4vert
I have the ones in the last pic in my Trans Am, in light gray. They're made by Cipher. Had 'em for almost 2 years now, daily driver.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wink

Originally Posted by eb110americana
I have the ones in the last pic in my Trans Am, in light gray. They're made by Cipher. Had 'em for almost 2 years now, daily driver.
How are the holding up? Are they cloth or the Carbon Fiber Leatherette? How's the comfy level, lol? Will they fit a fat ***, lol? Do you have any current installed pics?

Thanks for the info Bro!!!
Old 04-29-2015, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HotWhipT/A
Bring back the chrome vent rings for the Pontiacs!!!

I do not have a t/a, but if I did I would Def want some of these.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How are the holding up? Are they cloth or the Carbon Fiber Leatherette? How's the comfy level, lol? Will they fit a fat ***, lol? Do you have any current installed pics?

Thanks for the info Bro!!!
They've held up well so far. Really no signs of wear whatsoever in either the vinyl or the foam. I'm not that big of a guy, 5'9" and ~155 lbs., so I probably don't stress the bolsters as much as some, but they feel sturdy enough to take some abuse.

The material is all vinyl "leatherette," with simulated carbon fiber weave on the backs and a tiny bit on the sides. The carbon fiber weave looks pretty convincing until you get real close up (not simulating carbon fiber reinforced plastic, just the carbon weave itself). The leatherette won't fool anyone with even a cursory knowledge of materials, but given the cheap grades of GM leather used from the factory to begin with, and the inevitable hardening over time, this stuff is light years more supple than any factory leather you may still have in your car. And it cleans up with just Armor All.

Comfort wise, they are definitely more stiff than the factory thrones, but for a sports car that's kind of the point. I was surprised to find the lumbar sufficient enough to make long rides comfortable. I've taken 7-8 hour drives and feel great when I get back out again. Something I cannot say for many factory seats. The side bolsters on the back are fixed, so some thicker people may object, but they fit me just fine. In fact, in extremely aggressive driving, I could stand for them to be even tighter on me as they have a bit of give to them. There is very little adjustability, only recline and slide forward/back. Even the flip forward function for rear seat access is gone; you have to use the recline lever and simply tilt forward (though they will tip all the way forward), then set the rake once you get back in again.

Will they fit you? Hard to say without trying. I've had a few husky friends in the car and they have asked if the side bolsters adjust out at first, but they seem to get used to them after a while. I actually went down to a distribution/showroom for Cipher out here in LA and tested them on the floor before buying a set on eBay.

As for quality, the seats seem well made. There are other versions of the same seat by different sellers which show bunched up vinyl in their pics and other issues that scare me, but these are upholstered well. The frame flexes side-to-side a bit if you thrash around in 'em like a kid without his Ritalin, but the same can be said of even Recaros I've tried. I think a full frame, non-reclining example is required for that level of rigidity.

Lest you think I am only giving you good news about these seats, the sliders they come with are absolute crap. They are double-locking, unlike the single-locking stockers, but the way they are stamped, the bearing race has ridges(!) across its entire length. And the ridges are painted. When I first put the seats in the car, I couldn't move them at all. I had to take each slider off, slide it back and forth until the ball bearings cut through the black paint and through the ridges to form some kind of race to roll against. They work now, but are still very stiff. If you aren't careful, you'll wind up between detents, and say, when you slam on the brakes, the seat could slide to its rearmost position leading to an accident if you cannot operate the pedals. Very important to make sure they are locked before getting underway. When I assembled the recline mechanism to the seat and back cushions, I felt as if one out of the several screws on the passenger throne was about to strip, so I left it as is. That could indicate issues with the frame inside or could be a fluke, as the rest were okay.

Lastly, I assembled them with Planted seat brackets, to adapt to the non-flat floorpan in our cars. The brackets are supposed to be universal for aftermarket seats, and there are holes that line up with the Cipher chairs. However, I discovered that these place the seats about an inch too far outboard, so I had to drill my own custom holes in the (very expensive) universal brackets to move each seat an inch closer to the center of the car. On top of that, I wanted to tilt the seat bottoms farther back, so I added coupling nuts to lift the forward edge by about 1.5". Needless to say, it's not simply a bolt-in replacement.

I probably should have started my own thread at this point. I don't really know why I haven't.
Attached Thumbnails New product...  What do you want to see?-cipher-small-1.jpg   New product...  What do you want to see?-cipher-small-2.jpg   New product...  What do you want to see?-cipher-small-3.jpg  

Last edited by eb110americana; 05-04-2015 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Typographical
Old 04-30-2015, 03:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JTtransAM
The actual plastic part of the door panels. The part that is cracked on almost all of them.
DO THIS! Almost if not all of us need this fixed lol!
Old 04-30-2015, 03:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about something for the 'verts. Maybe some convertible top covers. Not all of us have them and they're hard to find for less than $300. I don't like the other aftermarket option either. More OEM style.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JTtransAM
The actual plastic part of the door panels. The part that is cracked on almost all of them.
This. Either a factory look alike or something with a little aftermarket flair to it.

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
Perhaps a sort of bare bones coil relocation kit for the ls engine? Just a bracket with appropriate hardware to mount 4 coils together and let the end user pic the location, but maybe show a few recomendations to give people ideas?

might let you cater to not just the F-body crowd
This, too. I'd love to relocate the coils on my boat!
Old 04-30-2015, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd like to see an aftermarket interior door panel that looks like it belongs in the car but just has some nice updates done to it. I wish I was an artist so I could draw up what I'm picturing in my head.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

Well this is the seat I'd like to have, over all, that I posted. I think all would be a very popular choice!

Damn I want these seats so bad, where can you buy them and how much?

Quick Reply: New product... What do you want to see?