Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just want to share some interior work im in the process of doing

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Just want to share some interior work im in the process of doing

So classes are out for winter and I wanted something new to do with the SS and Im pretty poor and I have always disliked the interior and texture of the plastic panels. I decided to take on painting some interior pieces myself with the ultimate goal being a mostly gloss black interior with some red accents. I want to stay away from being another outrageous funky random red pieces everywhere in the car. So for now I am going one step at a time and seeing how they come out and if I like it. The first piece I tackled was the gauge cluster cover.

Hopefully the clear cures perfectly after a week or so.
Anyways my process so far has been this.

1. sand to smooth surface (remove the texture) 120 grit ---> 320 grit ---> 2000 grit just for the hell of it. I should probably go with something under 1000 for the third but those are the only grits I have.
2. 3 light coats of adhesion promoter.
3. 3 very light coats of base followed by 2 med coats.
4. same for the clear.

If anyone has any suggestions how to better the process I will gladly listen.

Materials are Dupli-color adhesion promoter and Krylon Fusion for plastics gloss black and gloss clear.

Thanks for reading and in the process are the vent housings.

Attached Thumbnails Just want to share some interior work im in the process of doing-dscf3585.jpg   Just want to share some interior work im in the process of doing-dscf3586.jpg   Just want to share some interior work im in the process of doing-dscf3587.jpg  
Old 12-16-2013, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Attached Thumbnails Just want to share some interior work im in the process of doing-dscf3588.jpg   Just want to share some interior work im in the process of doing-dscf3590.jpg   Just want to share some interior work im in the process of doing-dscf3591.jpg  

Last edited by jaxcam02; 12-16-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks really good. If one was going to replace the HU with a double DIN, doing this would be the prime time to modify the bezel.

Sub'd
Old 12-22-2013, 04:36 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice overlays
Old 12-23-2013, 03:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Progress

Door Sills.

Attached Thumbnails Just want to share some interior work im in the process of doing-1.jpg   Just want to share some interior work im in the process of doing-2.jpg   Just want to share some interior work im in the process of doing-3.jpg   Just want to share some interior work im in the process of doing-4.jpg  
Old 12-23-2013, 05:14 AM
Staging Lane

Looking good. I'm jealous that your Driver's seat is in as good a shape as it it.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pewterformula
Looking good. I'm jealous that your Driver's seat is in as good a shape as it it.
Lol it still has decent support and finish but my dumb *** sat down with a screw driver in my back pocket, heard a pop and instantly knew what happened, I think I can mend it in the back pretty darn well but i havent had time to try yet and its not that bad that i forget about it often, just really pissed at myself for it

Here are some finished pics of the door sills. Getting these smooth is quite some work, I have spent like 4 hours of total sanding on the first one. Its a softer plastic than the dash components and the indentations are so small. I have two massive blisters on my fingers from the heat of sanding to fast.

Clear needs to cure and may need a wetsand.

Attached Thumbnails Just want to share some interior work im in the process of doing-blist.jpg   Just want to share some interior work im in the process of doing-11.jpg   Just want to share some interior work im in the process of doing-22.jpg  
Old 12-24-2013, 01:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

looks good
Old 12-29-2013, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok so a few things I have to think about since starting. The gloss is really reflective (Obviously) and I want to paint the dash pad black but that may reflect to much light in my eyes both day and night so I might have to get a cloth-like dash pad for everyday use.
I also want to incorporate more red in the scheme but I can't really decide on a set of parts to dedicate red without looking ghetto. I wanted to somewhat copy the corvette here

buttt.... None of the interior parts follow a coherant line all the way around the dash.

Right now I am sanding both center console pieces. I am debating on painting the lower console red and the upper console where the shift boot is black but with that arises two issues. The seat belt retainer as you all know like to rub the lower center console and carve grooves into the plastic so would carve grooves into the red paint exposing the primer and plastic below the red paint, I think I can fix that by gluing a soft cloth material to the seat belt tho. I am also starting to get why alot of people dont do gloss interiors for everyday use. Some of my previously painted pieces are especially susceptible to scratches which is worrying me about continuing on painting. I guess I'll keep going with what I am doing and if it starts to look bad Ill just wrap all the pieces in vinyl when i can afford it.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

Very nice. A little bit to much color for me but you did a great job
Old 12-29-2013, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NnOoSsSs
Very nice. A little bit to much color for me but you did a great job
Just to be clear, The pic in my post above yours is just what I am trying to copy in my camaro. Thats not my corvette and I am no where near being done . Its actually alot more work sanding the texture off the plastic pieces than I thought it would be. I'm about to try and photo shop what pieces I think would look decent in red.

Just want to thank everyone for the kinds words so far. I don't want to disappoint myself. Everyones opinions, for and against my work/ideas, helps me as I go and it really helps in my finished products. You guys often point out things I miss or don't really "see" in my mind before it comes together.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

I'm digging the smoothed interior pieces. I'm just not a big fan of a lot of color in the interior.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Quick Shop of kinda How I see it coming out if I use any red at all

I almost with I would have went Satin Black on all the interior now that I couldnt shop a gloss black.

Attached Thumbnails Just want to share some interior work im in the process of doing-red.jpg   Just want to share some interior work im in the process of doing-dscn1946.jpg   Just want to share some interior work im in the process of doing-allblk.jpg  

Last edited by jaxcam02; 12-29-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:18 AM
Staging Lane

I like your ideas. Keep them coming man!
Old 12-30-2013, 08:35 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jaxcam02

Just to be clear, The pic in my post above yours is just what I am trying to copy in my camaro. Thats not my corvette and I am no where near being done . Its actually alot more work sanding the texture off the plastic pieces than I thought it would be. I'm about to try and photo shop what pieces I think would look decent in red.

Just want to thank everyone for the kinds words so far. I don't want to disappoint myself. Everyones opinions, for and against my work/ideas, helps me as I go and it really helps in my finished products. You guys often point out things I miss or don't really "see" in my mind before it comes together.
Sorry haha i wasnt paying very good attention i guess.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:45 AM
Teching In

This looks great so far, well done.

I'm actually doing something similar, have a black camaro and detailing the interior in white and black carbon fiber. Currently waiting on my door sills to dry!
Old 12-30-2013, 01:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Looking great! Very subtle, but nice! I say stay away from red at all costs! IMO
Old 12-30-2013, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think what I am going to do now after a day to think about it is do the lower center console, dash pad, main dash body, and all the trim in satin black and Im going to leave my air vents, radio console and upper center console and speaker shrouds in gloss black and omit painting anything red and try to design some interior decals for random but classy locations in red to place on the finished products.

Somewhere down the line I want some Alcantara and Red Seats or 6LE seats. Go full black carpets and floor mats.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

What is this thing under the center console?

Attached Thumbnails Just want to share some interior work im in the process of doing-imag1443.jpg  

Quick Reply: Just want to share some interior work im in the process of doing