Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

What pads for M101 and M205

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 04:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default What pads for M101 and M205

If anyone could point me in the right direction for the appropriate pads to use with M101 and M205, it would be greatly appreciated. This would be for use on a DA Polisher and from what I've read, foam pads work best with these two products; just not sure which ones to get.

Last edited by Rise of the Phoenix; 03-18-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Lake country flat pads are good. You could go with orange to be used with M105 and white to be used with M205. Although M205 is versatile product and can be used with an orange pad if you happen to need a little more correcting ability.

Not sure on what size backing plate but these are it
5.5" pads
http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country...d-pad-kit.html
6.5" pads
http://www.autogeek.net/vcpad-6pack.html
Old 03-18-2014, 10:05 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had great results using this setup.

5.5" backing plate.
6.5" lake country ccs pads.
M105 use the orange.
M205 use the white (you can use grey/black if you want... its softer but won't remove some of the abrasion from the M105 depending on the panel, your call).
Glaze/wax use the grey/black.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the help guys. Another quick question for you. I'm at the end of my Adams Americana Wax, but there is still some wax around the edge of the bottom of the container (all the wax in the middle is gone). What's the best way to move the wax from the edges to the center so I can easily apply it to the applicator? Should I do it by hand; it's kind of crumbly, so not sure that's the best option, or can it be heated up some so that it's easier to manipulate?
Old 03-19-2014, 07:35 PM
TECH Junkie

What size backing plate are you using? The reason I ask is because I find that 5.5" pads work best with the porter cable and use the machines power better than 6.5" pads.

As far as your question about the paste wax, I would think you could get away with heating it up a little to get it into the center of the container.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

I've got the Harbor Freight DA and currently have the Adams pads (orange and white).
Old 03-20-2014, 06:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Those pads will still work with M105 and M205. Orange for M105 and white for M205.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Anyone used the Adams 1 and 2 polish and the M101 and M205 to see which one you liked better? I currently have the Adams stuff, but am thinking about going the other route for future cars I correct. Just heard so many good things about the M101 and M205.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:44 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly man polish is polish. Most of it is technique and matching the correct equipment/pad and grade of polish. Adams stuff is nice simply because it's not a pain in the *** to remove. Smells good too. Yes some polishes are better than others but were splitting hairs here. Top of the line stuff doesn't mean your paint will magically be swirl and scratch free afterwards.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtbag
Honestly man polish is polish. Most of it is technique and matching the correct equipment/pad and grade of polish. Adams stuff is nice simply because it's not a pain in the *** to remove. Smells good too. Yes some polishes are better than others but were splitting hairs here. Top of the line stuff doesn't mean your paint will magically be swirl and scratch free afterwards.
Honestly. No.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Anyone used the Adams 1 and 2 polish and the M101 and M205 to see which one you liked better? I currently have the Adams stuff, but am thinking about going the other route for future cars I correct. Just heard so many good things about the M101 and M205.
You listed M101 in your thread title but M105 has been mentioned in the thread. There's a HUGE difference between the two. M101 has waay more cut than M105.

I would suggest starting out with M105 and not M101. This is based off experience and personal opinion only.

Meg's products have more cut than Adam's. Meg's products are non diminishing abrasives or SMAT. This requires different pad priming, work time and technique than Adam's or any other product that is diminishing.

If you are going to use M105 I highly suggest getting D300 also. M105 is a little finicky and requires a slight learning curve to achieve good results. You can add a few drops of D300 when using M105 to help extend the work time and keep the dusting down.

M105 and D300 both work great with a microfiber pad. The orange cutting pad works good too but doesn't have the cut the MF pad does.

For M205 a white pad or black pad works really well. It depends on how hard the clear coat is. You work M205 differently than you do M105.

If you haven't seen this thread definitely check it out, it's a long read but there are ton's of good info. Any question you can think of has been asked.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-detailer.html
Old 03-21-2014, 12:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
You listed M101 in your thread title but M105 has been mentioned in the thread. There's a HUGE difference between the two. M101 has waay more cut than M105.

I would suggest starting out with M105 and not M101. This is based off experience and personal opinion only.

Meg's products have more cut than Adam's. Meg's products are non diminishing abrasives or SMAT. This requires different pad priming, work time and technique than Adam's or any other product that is diminishing.

If you are going to use M105 I highly suggest getting D300 also. M105 is a little finicky and requires a slight learning curve to achieve good results. You can add a few drops of D300 when using M105 to help extend the work time and keep the dusting down.

M105 and D300 both work great with a microfiber pad. The orange cutting pad works good too but doesn't have the cut the MF pad does.

For M205 a white pad or black pad works really well. It depends on how hard the clear coat is. You work M205 differently than you do M105.

If you haven't seen this thread definitely check it out, it's a long read but there are ton's of good info. Any question you can think of has been asked.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-detailer.html
This is good info. I completely read your your thread wrong. I misread it and thought you were asking about M105 and not M101. I have never used Adam's compound or polishes as I prefer to use meguiar's for that application.

As stated M101 has more cut than M105 but it also doesn't have the short working time that M105 has. You would just have to work a smaller area if you use M105. You could also mix Ultimate Compound with M105 if you do not have D300 to not get as much compound dust.

I noticed my camaro has hard clear coat and M105 on a orange foam pad didn't work as well as I hoped it would. The swirls were still there after many passes. It did clean up the paint. I ended up getting the meguiar's microfiber cutting pads with D300 which cut through the hard clear coat and gave me the desired results. I followed that up with M205 on a white lake country polishing pad.

You can get 12/16 oz sizes at this place of each compound and even M205. Search for Auto Detailing Solutions.

Mother's makes a professional compound and polish that has received some good reviews over on autogeek. The compound doesn't dust like M105.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks LilJayV10. The reason I wanted to go the M101 route over the M105 route was because everything I had read said the M101 was much easier to work with and doesn't dust nearly as much as the M105. I had read that M101 had more cut than M105, but had no idea it had way more cut than M105. I just figured the M101 was an improved version of the M105, but it sounds like they are two totally different products.

About a year ago, I did my first paint correction on my own 2002 WS6. I used the Adams 2 step polish with their matching pads. I was overall pretty happy with how it turned out, given it was my first time doing it. I really read and researched things and watched a few YouTube videos on the proper way to apply the polish and work it into the pain. I also detail vehicles on the side and recently was contracted to do all of our agencies vehicles. As of right now, none of my package deals include any type of paint correction, but I'm looking to add that to my arsenal this Spring/Summer. I plan on doing a few of my friends/families vehicles so I can get some more practice and am thinking about getting the M105/M205 combo, as I've seen such great results with it, and from what I've read, it seems like it's the go-to combo for the move novice detailer. Again, I appreciate the information.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks LilJayV10. The reason I wanted to go the M101 route over the M105 route was because everything I had read said the M101 was much easier to work with and doesn't dust nearly as much as the M105. I had read that M101 had more cut than M105, but had no idea it had way more cut than M105. I just figured the M101 was an improved version of the M105, but it sounds like they are two totally different products.

About a year ago, I did my first paint correction on my own 2002 WS6. I used the Adams 2 step polish with their matching pads. I was overall pretty happy with how it turned out, given it was my first time doing it. I really read and researched things and watched a few YouTube videos on the proper way to apply the polish and work it into the pain. I also detail vehicles on the side and recently was contracted to do all of our agencies vehicles. As of right now, none of my package deals include any type of paint correction, but I'm looking to add that to my arsenal this Spring/Summer. I plan on doing a few of my friends/families vehicles so I can get some more practice and am thinking about getting the M105/M205 combo, as I've seen such great results with it, and from what I've read, it seems like it's the go-to combo for the move novice detailer. Again, I appreciate the information.

No worries. Working on friends/family cars is how I got started myself. You can achieve amazing results with 105/205. Starting out learning what capabilities each product has and how changing arm speed, machine speed, pressure or pad selection effects the results. If you do decide to go with that combo research "The Kevin Brown Method" or "KBM". Kevin has perfected the use of those compounds. The most critical thing is priming the pad correctly.

You can get M105/205 at most parts stores now. Pick up some MF pads, white and black foam pads and you will be set. I can't tell you the last time I used an orange foam pad. Meg's MF pads have pretty much replaced those for me anyway.

Autogeek has an option of buying a five pack of Lake Country pads and you can choose what ever pads you want.

My interest in paint correction has turned into a side business that keeps me pretty busy especially this time of year.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

So it seems that you are a big advocate for the microfiber pads as opposed to the foam pads. Like I said, the only paint correction I have done was on my WS6 and I used the Adams 2 stage polish with their matching foam pads. Can you elaborate on why the microfiber pads are better than the foam ones?
Old 03-21-2014, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

I use MF pads for compounding and foam for polishing. MF pads have a lot more cut than foam. MF doesn't finish down as well as foam. Both have their place.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

So then a MF pad could be used with the 105 and a foam pad with the 205? I can see what you mean in regards to the foam pads not cutting very well. It seemed like I needed to make many passes when using the orange Adams polish and pad.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

So then a MF pad could be used with the 105 and a foam pad with the 205? I can see what you mean in regards to the foam pads not cutting very well. It seemed like I needed to make many passes when using the orange Adams polish and pad.
Yup

A white or black foam pad works well with M205.

For years M105 and a orange cutting pad were the ticket for defect removal. Meg's changed all of that that when they released their microfiber system several years ago.

Now everyone has a MF disc.

You are correct about many passes with Adam's products.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

That is what I'm going to do; MF pad with the 105 and my white foam pad with the 205. I used the Adams polish and pads on my brother's Pontiac Grand Prix and it barely didn't do much for it. His paint was prety damn bad, but I thought it would have worked a lot better than it did. The Adams polish and pads worked good my car, but I want the 105 and 205 because I think it will work better without as many passes and effort.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you are familiar and comfortable with working with diminishing abrasives, Menzerna has really good products.

I'm not trying to confuse you but I also don't want to come off as Meg's being the end all of detailing products.

I just got done with a black Mustang this past week. To do the heavy compounding I used the Rupes 21, MF pads and M101. For polishing I used a tangerine hydrotech pad and Menzerna 2500. That clear coat was really hard and the paint was WRECKED.

Quick Reply: What pads for M101 and M205