Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

99-02 odo, swapped OEM smd leds with white smd leds, +converting odo to OLED screen

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 10:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very, VERY, awesome! Great work man!! The one other thing I have always wanted to add to our clusters in a gear indicator to show what gear you're in. There is no real need for it but I think it would look cool. Doubt it's feasible though...
Old 05-21-2014, 07:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kyoytey1693
Very, VERY, awesome! Great work man!! The one other thing I have always wanted to add to our clusters in a gear indicator to show what gear you're in. There is no real need for it but I think it would look cool. Doubt it's feasible though...
It would take a lot of searching, but on ClubGP there was a guy who made them for the W-Bodies. I think his name was backinblack. I'd look, but my company IP is banned from that forum...looks like someone here pissed off the mods a long time ago!
Old 05-21-2014, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Thank you!

Yes it would be relatively easy to do a gear indicator. All that would need to be done is source the electrical info from the stock nuetral safety switch from there you could write code to display what position the gear lever is in. The ls pcm also recieves a signal from trans to actual gear its in while driving, so you could display that info as well. Search on thirdgen.org, there is a guy on there that did this. I had though about doing this, but I bought my car with the intentions of converting to t56, so im not sure im I want to pursue have auto trans info on the display, I may though just for ***** after the main goals are handled.

I will finally have my oled screens in hand on friday. Next step is selecting a cpu. A spare 2000 cluster to prototype with is on the way as well.

Last edited by LT4vert; 05-21-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I mean showing what gear your in is not necessary sounds like we have to do things to our PCM the cluster already looks awesome as it is the only thing I would like to know if there's going to be a Tire monitor showing your tire pressure and maybe digital compass if not no big deal
Old 05-21-2014, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

The compass may happen, as I think the guy helping program already has that programmed into his tft screen. It wont be anything fancy though, just a n nw s ect ect icon in between the time and temp. Tire sensor I doubt I will mess with, I have a really nice anolog gauge and don't feel like shelling out the money for the sensors. Is it possible though, yes. When the initial project is done and as I get more knowledgable programming I may try to do more with it.

Last edited by LT4vert; 05-21-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds great can't wait for it to come out the only thing is will I need to recalibrate the new cluster or no and will I need to do anything for it or will it just plug and play thanks
Old 05-21-2014, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you made these...many would buy one.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Screen came to day finally. Screen shoulda been screens, grrrrrr. One of the packages were empty. Now to wait longer for the other one to show up.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so sweet! i need one! Once you figure it out let me know, i can ship you my cluster.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I digging this for my 4g dash
Old 05-29-2014, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TPI TERROR
I digging this for my 4g dash
Killer 3rd gen man. I remember your car when I used to post on thirdgen.org. Damn, your Camaro has come a long way.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Spend the day in illustrator and photoshop finalizing my screen designs.

Boot up image. This is just a pic of my pc screen. I dont want the image downloaded and used by someone else until I can use it myself, Ive got alot of work in it

Added a little color with the blue fading stroke lines.

Low fuel, the check gauges light is going bye bye.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:49 PM
Launching!

This is awesome. I would love to update mine like this or different so yours in unique.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS6 What
This is awesome. I would love to update mine like this or different so yours in unique.
Thanks! As soon as I get the module powered, the brain board made and some programming done up I will post a new dedicated thread. Its not beginners stuff, but for the diy'ers I will try to post enough info so others can attempt.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LT4vert
Thanks! As soon as I get the module powered, the brain board made and some programming done up I will post a new dedicated thread. Its not beginners stuff, but for the diy'ers I will try to post enough info so others can attempt.
Whispers: "If you build it, . . . . . . . . . They will come."
Old 06-04-2014, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I would (and hopefully WILL) buy the **** out of this. $50-$60 is dirt cheap, I don't think that would scare anyone away from it at all. I spent ~$200 on an updated Gentex rearview mirror for the car, and this is way cooler so I'd have no problem doing that.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man, everything you are building this thing up to do is amazing. I'd love to try this out, whether you make it yourself, or you are able to provide a complete unit. The odo/speed/compass/temp alone had me hooked! If you're able to integrate some of the idiot lights, you'll really have me hooked!

Just to add to your list - any way to have this run km/h and mph and swap via a button/switch like most new vehicles do?

This is the push I need to justify a McNord overlay.

IF you end up selling these or posting a good "how to" and others want to do this as well, maybe McNord can have a templated gauge face for this provision where the odometer is cut out accordingly.

Also - how does the "trip" function get reset? Stock plunger?

Really, this is so cool - can't wait to see it in your car!

Last edited by Atrus_SS; 06-04-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks! Actually it would be possible to incorporate all the idiot lights. Thats a maybe down the road thing as I would have to learn that language. There is plenty of info out there how to read and program OBD2 and class 2 serial data, the time to do that however is not all there. Thank god the dude in Germany helping me with this and us going to walk me through programming the functions I listed. Once you get into having idiot lights and say pic of the car with door open icons ect ect, the OLED modules becomes less desired,, and a automotive grade TFT would be the better/faster way to go. I am actually designing the graphics for his 240x320 pixel TFT screen, that will have about all the features of the new cars. Its going into an old Fiero GT.

The Trip will reset with the factory pluger. 99-02's get all the ODO info from the main circuit board, were just accessing that info to the new screen so correct mileage will display as well.

The km/h I had not thought about as I personally dont need that. Is it possible?...yes. I assuming you would just have to take the speed input, do the math and write the code for km/h. Were designing a brain board that will mount outside the cluster that will allow it to be fast enough to utilize selectable modes ect. again that will be a future thing for me. Right now I just want to get it done.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea I don't blame you wanting to get it done what about fuel range like will it show you how far you can go with the fuel
Old 06-04-2014, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99 ss
Yea I don't blame you wanting to get it done what about fuel range like will it show you how far you can go with the fuel
You can program fuel range, but I have no interest in pursuing that. All the stuff in the display now is relatively easy, doing fuel range would require a great deal of work. There is info out there though of people that have done stuff like fuel range and navagation info similar to how GM displays the turn by turn nav info from onstar to the DIC screens in the instrument clusters.

Quick Reply: 99-02 odo, swapped OEM smd leds with white smd leds, +converting odo to OLED screen