Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

99-02 odo, swapped OEM smd leds with white smd leds, +converting odo to OLED screen

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 08:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fieroluke, I'll send my 97 cluster to you soon to figure out what's up
Old 03-06-2017, 10:29 AM
12 Second Club

LT4Vert, any update on your cluster? Do you have a how to for modding it how you did? Any info would be great as I want to do the same thing
Old 03-07-2017, 02:54 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exclamation No more DashComputers in stock

Just a FYI for anyone joining the party late or otherwise interested in an OLED DashComputer: as of tiday there are no more OLED DashComputers available immediately!

As long as I don't run out of critical parts I will continue to build a few more, but these will be built on a prepaid basis, with a lead time of at least 2 weeks. Contact me if you're interested.

So if you were holding out for whatever reason, don't wait too long.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankSS
LT4Vert, any update on your cluster? Do you have a how to for modding it how you did? Any info would be great as I want to do the same thing
On mine personally no. I have built one for 1 member of this board, I posted it in this thread and am currently in the process of building another one for a member which should be finished at the end of March first week of April timeframe. Then I will be building my own.

As far as a write up, Im probably not going to do that. Ive got over 2 years of development and it would honestly be the size of a small book lol. Also given the money involved, it would appeal to really just a few people. I have damn close to $1000 in parts per cluster. Its just too complex of a project. I have rebuilt and fabbed nearly the the entire cluster to make this all work, with help from Fieroluke custom circuit boards have been designed and produced, Ive designed the gauge face to work with the news screens and relocated icons and have it produced by an OEM supplier. Ive tried to post a ton of in process pics to give an idea of whats going and maybe inspire someone to tackle their own project.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:09 PM
12 Second Club

I want to update the look of my cluster and add the plx gauge, but don't need all the warning lights that are where you put the gauge. Interested how you modified that part and the new board specs you made for the new back lighting? I got the OLED and will use the LED control from that, along with getting a new overlay made from 6LE.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankSS
I want to update the look of my cluster and add the plx gauge, but don't need all the warning lights that are where you put the gauge. Interested how you modified that part and the new board specs you made for the new back lighting? I got the OLED and will use the LED control from that, along with getting a new overlay made from 6LE.
If you werent using any of the warning lights that'd make things easier. I just cut out the warning light portion of the inner frame, the build a cradle for the PLX gauge to sit in. I heat form ABS and assemble with a plastic welder and then bond and blend into the OEM inner frame.

The circuit boards however will not work with the stock without extensive extensively modifying most of the cluster. Take a look back at the pics and youll see what Im saying. I modified the lower portion of the frame, extensively modified the needle motor mounts, reshaped the sides of the frame....otherwise there is just not enough room to play with in stockish form.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I still need mine, but may have found a new use for it. I just purchased a Superlite SLC to build and this would make a nice addition to my cluster. Plan is to put a LS3 in it, do you think it's possible to wire it up to it?
Old 03-13-2017, 07:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
I still need mine, but may have found a new use for it. I just purchased a Superlite SLC to build and this would make a nice addition to my cluster. Plan is to put a LS3 in it, do you think it's possible to wire it up to it?
Del, I don't know anything about the Superlite SLC, but I can tell you that the DashComputer is pretty generic. I use it in my Fiero and it obviously works in F-bodies. If you have a 4000ppm or 2000ppm square wave VSS signal, it will work. It derives all its data for the trip computer from that signal, measures outside temperature using a sensor you need to add anyway, and brings its own clock. You just need to find a spot to mount the display in the cluster, that's all. And I have a different version of the display with mounting "ears" to glue behind plexiglass, maybe that's better suited if you don't have an F-body cluster...

Last edited by Fieroluke; 03-13-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Fieroluke
Plug and play for the 98 is unlikely, but plug-and-play for the 99-02: working on it.
If the pricing is in this thread, I've overlooked it. What's the price range for the '98s?
Old 03-15-2017, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
Congrats on purchase! If i recall, Sl-c uses the infinity box with the koso gauge setup. Yoh probably will not need it. If you wanted it, youd have to figure out which lines bring that on the e38 ecu that i believe is part of a engine kit if yoh are using s crate setup.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimMueller
If the pricing is in this thread, I've overlooked it. What's the price range for the '98s?
Message Fieroluke about pricing.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JimMueller
PM sent...
Old 03-17-2017, 03:58 AM
Launching!

Exclamation DashComputer Lite is here!

Big news everyone!

I am proud to present "DashComputer Lite"!

It's a less expensive alternative to DashComputer with slightly fewer features, completely fittng into the cluster!

To summarize the Lite version in a few key points:
  • Fits into cluster, no external box (99-02 clusters only, 98 maybe)
  • TFT only, no OLED available
  • no GPS, no CAN, no ALDL, no compass interface
  • USB programmer on separate board, plugs in for firmware updates
  • Power supply and wiring nreakout boards separately, fit into cluster
  • Display unit now contains complete computer except for power supply
  • Picks up most signals in the cluster internally: Power. battery, ignition, trip reset button, VSS, illumination
  • Clock set button and temperature sensor input wires to be added to cluster connector

Unfortunately the firmware is slightly different and thus incompatible, so I'll provide separate firmware versions for standard and lite versions of DashComputer.

Display board and processor board before sandwiching

Display, display board and processor board sandwich

Programming adapter plugged in

Sandwich and breakout board

Power supply board plugged into breakout board

On second thought: I'd keep the clock and buffer it using the vehicle battery.
I'm thinking of integrating it into a cluster, no more external box to mount. That saves the pricey enclosure and I'd be aiming more at a $200 price tag.

The wiring would be limited to soldering 8 wires to the Cluster's circuit board.
This way the only thing that would need to be installed outside of the cluster would be the outside temperature sensor and optionally a wire for the steering wheel controls, requiring only two terminals to be added to the existing IP cluster connector.

Does anybody have some info on the 99-02 cluster for me, especially the pinout? Is it different for the different years fro 99-02, and are there differences between Firebird and Camaro?
Old 03-17-2017, 05:05 PM
Launching!

Default DashComputer lite

DashComputer, power supply and breakout board easily fit the cluster... everything looks as planned!
Old 03-20-2017, 05:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Del, I don't know anything about the Superlite SLC, but I can tell you that the DashComputer is pretty generic. I use it in my Fiero and it obviously works in F-bodies. If you have a 4000ppm or 2000ppm square wave VSS signal, it will work. It derives all its data for the trip computer from that signal, measures outside temperature using a sensor you need to add anyway, and brings its own clock. You just need to find a spot to mount the display in the cluster, that's all. And I have a different version of the display with mounting "ears" to glue behind plexiglass, maybe that's better suited if you don't have an F-body cluster...
Sorry for my ignorance, but it working is more dependant on the cluster than the actual PCM, correct? I'll be using something other than a F-body cluster so if so I'll do some digging and see about the VSS signal.

Originally Posted by merim123
Congrats on purchase! If i recall, Sl-c uses the infinity box with the koso gauge setup. Yoh probably will not need it. If you wanted it, youd have to figure out which lines bring that on the e38 ecu that i believe is part of a engine kit if yoh are using s crate setup.
Thanks! I'm excited, tho still have another 6 more weeks or so while they finish manufacturing it. I think you're right about the Koso unit. I should be able to find that out and yep it'll be a LS3 crate as well.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:36 AM
Launching!

Yeah, the PCM needs to have a 4000ppm output, that's the only prerequisite. And if it doesn't, I think there are aftermarket converters to provide such a signal...
Old 03-23-2017, 06:02 AM
Launching!

Cool TPMS preview

Working on TPMS display right now. Derek has prepared beautiful Fiero graphics, Camaro and Firebird graphics are being made I type. The beauty part is, you can set your car's color in the configuration, and the graphics are changed to you car's color. This is what it looks like:

Silver car shows the beautiful details Derek did

The same car in bright yellow

and the same car in bright red!
Old 03-23-2017, 06:40 PM
Staging Lane

More awesomeness!! What parts are needed to combine that with the OLED display in an F-Body?
Old 03-24-2017, 04:32 AM
Launching!

Actually it would run with the OLED display on the F-body already, except it wouldn't update the pressures/temperatures because there's no TPMS receiver attached (yet). But because it is eye candy and you may be able to use it to show off at a car meet, I'll leave the code in there anyways ;-p Hopefully I'll get the Camaro graphics Derek sent me adapted sometime today, I'll post pictures when that's done. To answer your question: what's needed is a TPMS receiver with a CAN interface. So this TPMS receiver would be next on my ever growing ToDo-List.

Soooo, what I really need at this point is to either get my hands on the protocol documentation of a commercially available TPMS sensor, or reverse engineer one. My attempts to get my hands on documentation officially were futile, so I will probably have to end up reverse engineering one. But I have ordered quite a few circuit boards and parts in the DashComputer Lite development, I have to recover first before I dive into a new adventure ;-)
Old 03-24-2017, 05:37 PM
Launching!

Here's the F-body gfx we promised, silver Camaro and green TransAm:

Quick Reply: 99-02 odo, swapped OEM smd leds with white smd leds, +converting odo to OLED screen