Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

99-02 odo, swapped OEM smd leds with white smd leds, +converting odo to OLED screen

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 02:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 348 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by LT4vert
About finish another gauge cluster, this ines for Need4Camaro. Per his request the gauges are a orange gradient, oled dash computer and the plx dm100 oled gauge on the left side, white needles, white led back lighting and Corvette typeface. Again, all warning lights relocated to the center of the speedo and tach, custom circuit boards, inner bezel, and on this one Mike requested a custom outer bezel to finish it all off. I don't have the outer clear lens re attached yet, not do I have needles calibrated yet, so there just here for show Atm.

I think I would ditch my custom gauges for this, that is something to behold!
Old 04-19-2017, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

you guys have taken this to a new level. this is simply awesome update. the gauge cluster is outstanding. Love the gauge overlay and ingenuity to move things around. Seriously well done.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Thank you to everyone for all the great words and thank you to Oliver for the awesome project collaborations, our fields of expertise compliment perfectly.

Here is Mikes finished cluster. I couldnt be happier with how it came out. Im not usually a fan of colored gauges, but I think this looks pretty sweet. I think its time that I find the time to build my own cluster now.

Name:  0A5C32CB-4ABE-4917-8B8F-04D0551FA38C_zps69taotvn.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  114.9 KB

Name:  A716811B-512D-43D5-850F-25D94C84EF1A_zpsmkemyxnt.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  107.8 KB

Name:  C0A1EACC-4492-451D-A29C-79045299ED56_zpsq9reokit.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  237.0 KB

Name:  7EF5A37C-3EE9-41B8-8552-2961E6D69C7D_zpslq064tox.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  189.2 KB

Name:  79ABBA11-2A11-40D5-A299-4EA15C243F8E_zpsv5akoeqd.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  145.1 KB

Here is a mock up preview of my own cluster. Some elements of the bezel will change.
Name:  EDEC0E7A-0C35-495F-B335-57D11CC09B32_zpsxoa4pphr.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  175.5 KB

Name:  03DD8FF5-1143-438D-A8D0-AA6A399C0D33_zpsk22tffwj.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  169.9 KB
Old 04-19-2017, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

So I gotta know a ballpark of how much it would cost me to get a gauge cluster similar to that. I'd love to move (and remove) some of the stock lights and get both the new ODO screen and the other gauge as well.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

^ Same here!! Very interested!
Old 04-20-2017, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by drain89
I have the original I'll sell. Selling my car and I never installed it.
how much?
Old 04-21-2017, 12:43 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I gotta get one of these. Amazing work!!

How do I get on the list?
Old 04-23-2017, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok that looks outstanding , so interested in how much this would cost to do to mine
Thank you
Old 04-23-2017, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Absolutely incredible work guys. I still need to get in on this.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Just installed it, Thanks Tons LT4Vert and Oliver, it really paid off!

For the rest of you guys, I made a video to give you an idea what it looks like and what it will do.

Edit: Sorry for the sideways video, I'll see if I can fix it even if I have to reupload it.

The following users liked this post:
Blksilvr (12-25-2020)
Old 04-26-2017, 04:12 AM
Launching!

Smile

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
Just installed it, Thanks Tons LT4Vert and Oliver, it really paid off!

For the rest of you guys, I made a video to give you an idea what it looks like and what it will do.

Edit: Sorry for the sideways video, I'll see if I can fix it even if I have to reupload it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoGMQrIQw3g
That looks awesome, man! Congrats!
Old 05-01-2017, 08:10 AM
Launching!

Default CAN bus progress

Made some great progress on the GMLAN front! Built a little CAN logger from a spare Fiero DashComputer I had, it displays the messages with a timestamp and converts the hex dump to something legible (although abbreviated). The last message is always highlighted. Watch DashComputer talk to an aftermarket chime module:

you can spot the state of health SOH msg being sent cyclically, as well as power mode, gear info, chime status and a bunch of other things!
Old 05-03-2017, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

VERY IMPORTANT!!!

For anyone who will be purchasing and attempting this mod, you must NOT connect the dash computer and PLX Devices OBD computer to the same POWER and GROUND circuit.. NO OTHER ACCESSORIES (BOTH STOCK OR MODS) CAN SHARE THE SAME POWER AND GROUND AS THE PLX DEVICES OBD COMPUTER

The PLX devices needs both a power source and a connection into the OBD reader which in itself also has a power and ground. The reason this is an issue is you will create a SHORT CIRCUIT for any other device that is grounded on the same ground as the PLX device. Any device on the same power connection will ground THROUGH the PLX device and INTO the vehicles OBD port and FRY YOUR PLX DEVICE.. Unfortunately, this just happened to me. I had the dash computer, a few devices I just added to my car and the PLX device. I ran three home run cables through the firewall to the engine compartment. One for Power (Always hot), One for Ignition Power, One for Ground. When I connected ONLY the power and ignition power up I heard a loud POP and smelt smoke..I came to find all my accessories that should not have been on (Didn't connect the ground) were indeed on.. After messing around I disconnected the OBD Port from the PLX devices and that killed power to all my addiitonal accessories. I reconnected the OBD port and they came back on. I disconnected the POWER terminal and they died again..drawing me to the conclusion that the OBD port was grounding my circuit THROUGH the PLX devices...and unfortunately...it is a costly mistake... I have to buy a new PLX devices.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 05-03-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:49 AM
Launching!

Exclamation

Important warning, thanks for sharing, and sorry to hear that! Let me understand and explain to others what happened so this doesn't happen to anyone else.

From what I gather the cause was that you:
  1. hooked up the power and ignition power
  2. connected all devices grounds together but not to vehicle ground
  3. There was a ground connection to the vehicle through a signal ground

If one of those conditions hadn't been met, nothing would have happened.
This is is not a problem of DashComputer or the PLX, but can happen with any accessory that has two power or (more likely) multiple ground connections. Multiple ground connections are usually connected inside a device to the device's ground. If the supply ground is interrupted, the device draws the current through the signal ground connection, which is likely a thin copper trace and blows like a fuse. If the supply ground fails a device can usually take the current flowing through its signal ground and not blow, but if additional devices are present that also flow through that device, it blows.

Can happen with a radio too: hook up radio to amp (audio shield goes to amp ground) and cut radio or amp's ground. The radio and amp will work, but draw power through the audio shield wire. If that wire's trace is thin in the radio or amp, the radio or amp (whichever has the thinner trace) will blow as well.

So, everybody, the lesson for any electrical hookups is: always connect all supply power and ground wires before powering up a device!

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
VERY IMPORTANT!!!

For anyone who will be purchasing and attempting this mod, you must NOT connect the dash computer and PLX Devices OBD computer to the same POWER and GROUND circuit.. NO OTHER ACCESSORIES (BOTH STOCK OR MODS) CAN SHARE THE SAME POWER AND GROUND AS THE PLX DEVICES OBD COMPUTER

The PLX devices needs both a power source and a connection into the OBD reader which in itself also has a power and ground. The reason this is an issue is you will create a SHORT CIRCUIT for any other device that is grounded on the same ground as the PLX device. Any device on the same power connection will ground THROUGH the PLX device and INTO the vehicles OBD port and FRY YOUR PLX DEVICE.. Unfortunately, this just happened to me. I had the dash computer, a few devices I just added to my car and the PLX device. I ran three home run cables through the firewall to the engine compartment. One for Power (Always hot), One for Ignition Power, One for Ground. When I connected ONLY the power and ignition power up I heard a loud POP and smelt smoke..I came to find all my accessories that should not have been on (Didn't connect the ground) were indeed on.. After messing around I disconnected the OBD Port from the PLX devices and that killed power to all my addiitonal accessories. I reconnected the OBD port and they came back on. I disconnected the POWER terminal and they died again..drawing me to the conclusion that the OBD port was grounding my circuit THROUGH the PLX devices...and unfortunately...it is a costly mistake... I have to buy a new PLX devices.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fieroluke
Important warning, thanks for sharing, and sorry to hear that! Let me understand and explain to others what happened so this doesn't happen to anyone else.

From what I gather the cause was that you:
  1. hooked up the power and ignition power
  2. connected all devices grounds together but not to vehicle ground
  3. There was a ground connection to the vehicle through a signal ground

If one of those conditions hadn't been met, nothing would have happened.
This is is not a problem of DashComputer or the PLX, but can happen with any accessory that has two power or (more likely) multiple ground connections. Multiple ground connections are usually connected inside a device to the device's ground. If the supply ground is interrupted, the device draws the current through the signal ground connection, which is likely a thin copper trace and blows like a fuse. If the supply ground fails a device can usually take the current flowing through its signal ground and not blow, but if additional devices are present that also flow through that device, it blows.

Can happen with a radio too: hook up radio to amp (audio shield goes to amp ground) and cut radio or amp's ground. The radio and amp will work, but draw power through the audio shield wire. If that wire's trace is thin in the radio or amp, the radio or amp (whichever has the thinner trace) will blow as well.

So, everybody, the lesson for any electrical hookups is: always connect all supply power and ground wires before powering up a device!
Yeah, basically.. it grounded the circuit through the OBD port of which my PLX was connected to and it was the last place I thought to look because I didn't think that would have been used as a power source or ground for the device. I'm just going to use a separate ground for it.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oled screen

Originally Posted by FlorianGee
Sweet, that looks really slick! And it'd be even sweeter in CETA colors
Is there anyway to get one of these
Old 05-17-2017, 09:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a good feeling our F-bodies will be driving around for a good amount of time in the future! I love this modification and I only wish I had such skills to be able to do it myself. Short of buying a finished product, I will have to keep my mods lower tech, using newer lighting technology, but looking just as pretty.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Phoenix'97
I have a good feeling our F-bodies will be driving around for a good amount of time in the future! I love this modification and I only wish I had such skills to be able to do it myself. Short of buying a finished product, I will have to keep my mods lower tech, using newer lighting technology, but looking just as pretty.
Do you mean doing the actual construction of the gauge cluster and dash computer yourself? or do you mean the installation of it? If you mean the installation of it, it's not really hard..just alittle bit of wiring involved but nothing too serious.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:51 PM
Teching In

This. Is . Amazing!

I had a vision to do something EXACTLY like this for my 2nd Gen when I start rebuilding it. Wasn't sure if something like this even existed or if it was even possible!

I hope this is still a thing in a few years when I become more serious on finishing my car.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:45 AM
Teching In

Great work guys. I don't even have a car to work on yet, but want this!

Are you doing custom work for others, LT4?

Quick Reply: 99-02 odo, swapped OEM smd leds with white smd leds, +converting odo to OLED screen